Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achievable events for 2017?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm planning out some goals and events for 2017 and wondered is the following achievable:

Barcelona marathon - 12th March
    (10 week gap)
    St Polten half ironman - 21st May
    (6 week gap)
    Marmotte - 2nd July
    (7 week gap)
    Copenhagen Ironman - 20th August

In all seriousness I would only be properly racing the marathon and half ironman and hoping to get to the finish line in the marmotte and ironman.

I've done a half ironman this year and apart from stomach cramps on the run due to a poor nutrition plan I found it no problem. The course and conditions were tough but I was disappointed with my time so want another shot to get it down a good bit. Recovery wise I didn't feel the half ironman had much of an effect on me. While I've done three marathons which have all had major effects on my recovery. Never having done a proper training plan (this effecting my recovery) my best time is 3.15 which I certainly want to beat as I'm in far better shape and training religiously these days.

I wonder though in all of this would I be biting off more than I can chew? There's a part of me that thinks the early season marathon and then the marmotte would be great training for the ironman but there's another part of me that thinks it all might run down my body too much. With all these exciting events it's easy to get carried away with it all, I'm sure others on here are the same.

Happy to hear people's opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's not the events themselves that cause the issues. it's the recovery time after them impacting the training for the next event. how long did it take you to recover from the previous marathons?

treating marmotte as a long training ride means it shouldn't disrupt the IM prep too much, so you have a 13 week lead in from your HIM to the IM. two thigns to consider are

1) you say HIM didn't take much recovery, but if you go hard as you seem to be indicating you want to will that still be the case??
    2) marmotte as a training ride seems okay, but does travelling there mean you miss days of training either side of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

I used Marmotte as training for IM Barca this year - after finishing it I couldn't look at the bike again for nearly a month - saying that I absolutely nailed the cycle in Barca (tbf it is a really flat course)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I would agree on it being the lack of recovery being the issue more than anything else. If you just want to get to finish in Marmotte why not leave that to another time?

Advertisement