Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know of legal requirements for regular cleaning of bathrooms

Options
  • 02-11-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Most hotels, restaurants and bars have a regular cleaning schedule posted in the bathroom. Is this a legal requirement or is it just to look good?

Context: I'm researching an app idea to report issues in bathrooms and I'm wondering if a location has requirements to do regular cleaning, which would make my idea useless. I did some googling but other than Failte Ireland hotel star rating guidelines (which don't specify anything afaik), I can't find any useful info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive never heard of a legal requirement to clean them on the hourly basis that many do. The checklists you see on the wall are there for two reasons- reassure customers that the bathroom is regularly checked and secondly to put the responsibility for doing so on the staff member who has to sign it.

If a public toilet in a hotel was filthy then someone could call the EHO who would investigate and likely instruct them to get it in order or risk closure. But there is no law that says you have to clean them X times a day, just that they should be kept clean and hygienic.

If your app is designed in replacing that sheet on the wall I doubt they would go for it as like I said it is also there to reassure customers. It could supplement (which would mean double entry of checks) it is but unlikely to replace it IMO

You could be on to something though as far as cleaning hotel rooms on departure. Housekeepers in 4 and 5 star hotels have at least 40 different tasks per room and an app that logs them as done could be of use to large hotels. That said Im not sure if there isnt already one in existance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

aido179 wrote: »
    Most hotels, restaurants and bars have a regular cleaning schedule posted in the bathroom. Is this a legal requirement or is it just to look good?

The occupiers of premises have a duty of care to people in them. If someone is injured, unless they can prove they had a reasonable method of dealing with spillages, such as 20 minute checks the occupier will be held liable for any injury suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sorry OP but this is not an accommodation and property issue in the context of this forum. I'm not sure where it belongs but alas not here.

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement