Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I bring up the subject of a lease?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help!

I recently rented a room in a property which was advertised on rent.ie. There are three other tenants living there already. One of the tenants was listed under the contact details, so ever since I emailed about the room I've been dealing with him. He is really nice and has been really helpful, but there's been no mention of a lease or meeting the landlord. It sounds to me like everything rent/bill related goes from us to the main tenant and on to the landlord from there.

I'm happy with that, but I was wondering if I should push to get a lease organised? I've read on some of the forums here about sub-letting and the likes so I wanted to get a few opinions before I do anything.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you get lease while renting a room only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Yes. It sounds like he's renting the house and then subletting the rooms. If the landlord found out he was when he's not meant to you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

It's not subletting if he lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

It does not necessarily mean he is subletting, could be you are adding yourself to the tenancy agreement the other tenants hold presently with the landlords permission and presumably yours.

You are much better off not being on any lease op as even if you can get on a lease (which you can't if he is the head tenant and you are a license) it brings far more responsibilities on you than advantages such as you being liable to the full rent should all others leave etc.

In 8 years renting I've never had any sort of lease nor signed a thing and never had any problem and found it much more flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are much better off not being on any lease op as even if you can get on a lease (which you can't if he is the head tenant and you are a license) it brings far more responsibilities on you than advantages such as you being liable to the full rent should all others leave etc.

I agree with this. Though it does have the disadvantage that you can be asked to leave at short notice, tool But in practise, I've always found that flexible arrangements have worked best.

Legally, after 6 months there you have the right to request to be added to the lease which the head-tenant has. Most people don't bother though, particularly if the landlord is happy to let the place as a whole and let the head-tenant manage the individual rooms.

Advertisement