Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to Buy for Recently Returned

Options
  • 02-11-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My wife and I would like to either buy a new house or self build next year and so benefit from the new Government help to buy scheme. However, we just returned home to Ireland after living abroad for about ten years. Will we be able to avail of the four year tax rebate even if we were paying tax in the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

No afraid not.

The scheme is based on the refund of Tax Paid over the past 4 years, to the Irish Revenue, subject to certain maximums, based on the purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Delay building until near the end of the scheme? But Weigh up likely benefit of building in 2017 vs additional costs of building in 2019 (vs materials, labour cost increases etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 djam17

Hi all. Anybody know if the help to buy can be approved retrospectively. We returned home last year so have not paid enough tax to receive the full rebate. We have initial deposit paid now and help to buy approved in principle but might be better wait until next year when we have paid more tax and apply again??

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭castykidd

mike_2009 wrote: »
    Delay building until near the end of the scheme? But Weigh up likely benefit of building in 2017 vs additional costs of building in 2019 (vs materials, labour cost increases etc).

I know this is an old post but in case still active, why would delaying the build until closer the deadline allow them to avail of the rebate?

Were you saying by then they may have paid enough tax to apply for it?

Advertisement