Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in notice with sick note

Options
  • 02-11-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

My brother suffers from anxiety and stress and he has been struggling in work a lot lately. I know because he rings me when he gets like this which he did tonight.

He said he had to leave yesterday as he felt overwhelmed and told his manager he had a migraine. Anyway he went to the doctor today who signed him off for a month. He told me he cant go back to work and plans to give his months notice with the sick note tomorrow.

I think he is being a bit hasty but this would be his 3rd or 4th time off with the same issue. His been in the role 4 years since he finished college. So maybe he should call it a day if its that unsuitable. Also wonder if he is telling me the full extent of the problems he is haven't so trying to thread careful and not give out too much.

However I would have a few concerns. Is he allowed do this while sick? Will this greatly affect this chances of a reference for his next job?. I am worried as he wont have another reference in his area as he has only worked there since he left college.

Also he thinks he will be paid as he was fully paid when off in the past but I cant see them paying him in full for a month if he is leaving.

All round I am just worried he is making a big mistake. Anyone have any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does his doctor say about the idea of leaving? That's who he should be discussing it with. Unless the doctor is willing to sign him as unable to keep the job, he won't get benefit for 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Is it his job that is stressful and causing the anxiety?
    He needs to stay in work. If he leaves it will become a vicious circle with his anxiety. He also needs to tackle anxiety problem with counseling.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Yes it seems to be the job he gets really stressed, I think the doctor advised him to change as it doesn't seem he can cope. So he should be willing to sign whatever forms I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

MrSzyslak wrote:
    Also he thinks he will be paid as he was fully paid when off in the past but I cant see them paying him in full for a month if he is leaving.

Highly doubt they will pay him in full when he's working out his notice. It's most likely somewhere in their sick leave policy that they won't.

I'd advise him to leave it a week or 2 to make the decision. As in don't be too hasty about it. If the GP agrees that his workplace is contributing to his problems then he'll surely extend the sick note to cover his notice period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

If your brother has enough PRSI paid and has an entitlement to Illness Benefit and his GP is happy to keep signing certs then he can keep getting Illness Benefit for up to 2 years irregardless of wether he gives in his notice or not.
    Illness benefit is not subject to you actually having a job.
    It may be better for your brother CV wise to give in his notice now rather then be sacked, which he is at risk of right now.
    Another popular myth is that you can't be sacked while out sick.
    You can.
    Illness Benefit is also subject to a request for the claimant to appear before a DSP medical officer.
    Your brother can't get Jobseekers Benefit right now because he's not "fit for work ".
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If your brother works for an organisation that has an occupational health dept they may be able to arrange a slow re-integration into the workplace after his sick leave. Has he spoken to his manager? Could he move departments? Could he work part time for a while? I think it's worth exploring a few options before handing in his notice. Hope he feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Thanks everyone for the replies.

He has just handed in his cert for now thankfully the company seems very understanding.

I told him he is better off where he is for now while he feels like that.

Advertisement