Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver - insurance query

Options
  • 02-11-2016 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. Hoping you guys can answer this insurance query for me.

Myself and my wife have 2 cars and are insured as follows.

Main Car 1 - registered in my name, insured in my name with my wife as a named driver.car is mostly driven day to day by my wife.

Second Car 2 - registered in my wife's name, insured in my wife's name with me as a named driver.car is mostly driven by me as a run a bout day to day.

We've had no issues with the above and I'm sure there would be no issues as we are both insured, just mainly driving the cars that are registered and insured by the other spouse.

Now my query is that we plan to replace second car 2 with a small commercial van. Best insurance quote for car 1 is to leave it as is. So our plan was to simply replace car 2 with the van, so again register it in my wifes name, insure it in my wifes name with me as a named driver. As before I would drive it mostly.

I can't see any issues. Same setup as before, just introducing a van to the mix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Hoping you guys can answer this insurance query for me.

Myself and my wife have 2 cars and are insured as follows.

Main Car 1 - registered in my name, insured in my name with my wife as a named driver.car is mostly driven day to day by my wife.

Second Car 2 - registered in my wife's name, insured in my wife's name with me as a named driver.car is mostly driven by me as a run a bout day to day.

We've had no issues with the above and I'm sure there would be no issues as we are both insured, just mainly driving the cars that are registered and insured by the other spouse.

Now my query is that we plan to replace second car 2 with a small commercial van. Best insurance quote for car 1 is to leave it as is. So our plan was to simply replace car 2 with the van, so again register it in my wifes name, insure it in my wifes name with me as a named driver. As before I would drive it mostly.

I can't see any issues. Same setup as before, just introducing a van to the mix?

The only potential issue is that some insurers are not keen on quoting for vans / commercial vehicles unless they are connected to a trade.

Other than that though there shouldn't be any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Cheers. I've had quotes from a few and none seened to be concerned.

One other thing I forgot to ask. With commercial insurance it seems you can have open driven for drivers aged 25 to 70. This would be handy as my brother who is passing the van on to us would like to loan it now and again. Would there be an issue if my wife insured it in her name and simply add in open driven again with me driving it most of the time or would it be best insured in her name with me as an named driver along with open driven?

I ask as I assume that although my brother has his own car insurance it wouldn't cover him for driving someone's commercial van, just other private cars or am I wrong on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

In addition to Social & Pleasure, a named driver (or on an open drive facility) can only use the vehicle for the business described in the schedule. They cannot use it for their business under your policy. Remember, their accident is your claim

Cheers. thanks again. So probably the best solution is to have the van registered and insured in my wifes name with myself and my brother as named drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

But for your wife is to insure the van her occupation/used must be for her trade/farming ,as policy holder is declaring full user of van....and occasionally you and her brother in law may use but must declare your uses too

• Advertisement

Thanks. Insurance company didn't seem too interested in nature of business. I just said for dogs and feed for horses. Think I'll register and insure it in my wifes name and put myself as named driver. Can't see any issue, once I'm named on the insurance then I'm insured?

Advertisement