Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog blowing

• 02-11-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hey guys would like some help here. Have a 11minth old small collie. This has happened her a couple of times and happened her just there. She started breathing really fast-blowing out her sides.nesrly sounded like someone was pumping air. Went on for a good minute- like a person having a panic attack. I've never seen anything like it before-it's completely different to hiccups!Now she wasn't really bothered by it-she didn't get clingy or anything and she would be nervy. Put her head up for me to pat her straight after. She was only after getting neutered 2weeks ago.any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It sounds like reverse sneezing? But if you're in any way worried check with your vet.

Example from YouTube :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

No it's not reverse sneezing as it's rhythmic and rapid-again like a person hyperventilating but with a wheeze like noise. Hard to explain....I don't think I'm worried as she seems fine and it first happened a month ago.i only had her in the vets last night getting her stitches out!!! It's just v odd I've never seen anything like it!! I suppose I just need to keep an eye on her with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Our dog used to make a kind of chuffing noise when he was stressed. He would have his mouth closed and blow air out the side of his lips causing them to flap. His face would be very tense too.

Maybe it's something like that-she was just lying in the rug so nothing I can see that would have stressed her. Her mouth was open as well. I'm sure it's nothing but we have had a lot of dogs and I've never seen this!! She asleep now belly up to the fire not a bother on her lol

L1985 wrote:
    Maybe it's something like that-she was just lying in the rug so nothing I can see that would have stressed her. Her mouth was open as well. I'm sure it's nothing but we have had a lot of dogs and I've never seen this!! She asleep now belly up to the fire not a bother on her lol

With our fella it was when he was going to bed at night when he was a pup or when going in the car. We did a few things to reduce the stress and he hasn't really done it since. They love to worry us lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah she does. TBH I couldn't face bringing her to the vet again-never saw a dog as stressed!! She shook out the whole time and the poor thing was petrified so to bring her again so soon would be dog cruelty if it's not essential!!

L1985 wrote: »
    Yeah she does. TBH I couldn't face bringing her to the vet again-never saw a dog as stressed!! She shook out the whole time and the poor thing was petrified so to bring her again so soon would be dog cruelty if it's not essential!!

Film it if it happens again and bring the video into the vet if you don't want to bring her in unless necessary.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it possibly a mild case of bloat? I'd two bloaters who did this and if it was full bloat they got worse

Was actually kicking myself I hadn't done it this evening. I will as it goes on long enough that I could have filmed it! Good advice thou-it's horrible when they are petrified and your the cause(i.e. Dragged her to the car,lifted her into the vets to get the stitches and injection then carried her back in-its ok she got revenge by vomitting in my car). So don't want to put either of us through that unless I have to!!

Stheno- that's a thought!! Stomach wasn't bloating but I'll watch for it-other thing I Just remembered is she ate a couple of grapes I dropped on the floor. Maybe an allergic reaction- she has also eaten acorns and plums previously and I know they aren't good for dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno- that's a thought!! Stomach wasn't bloating but I'll watch for it-other thing I Just remembered is she ate a couple of grapes I dropped on the floor. Maybe an allergic reaction- she has also eaten acorns and plums previously and I know they aren't good for dogs.

Yeah my two bloaters often did this if they were a bit bloat then eventually a giant farther sorted them out usually a silent and deadly one. If they got more distressed it was very obvious

Before thy went into full bloat I could feel it in their ribs if that makes sense very ight like a drum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Sounds like she was getting sick but nothing came up.
    Should be fine in the morning.

Edit: grapes are poisons to dog so keep an eye on her and hope she does get sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

My dog was doing this, particularly on walks. Turned out that she had lung disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

as she had surgery a few weeks back it might be no harm to have your vet check her out again

she may be having little pain spasms dogs can do funny things when in pain have you noticed her stretching out her front legs with her rear end raised

Thanks for all the replies.dont think she's in pain as was a bit last week with the stitches and was v subdued while now she's fine. I hope it's not lung desease obviously but sh was sitting down so wasn't exerting herself. I'll just keep an eye and see how we go,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I hope she's okay. For the future, rather than avoiding the vet like the plague unless she has to have a procedure, try bringing her there every so often when she's well and happy. Make it fun with lots of treats and praise. Just walk around outside until she's happy with that, then sit in the waiting room for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've a chiweenie who does this, took him to the vet and was told that there's a theory that there's mites that live in the nasal passages that sometimes irritate the dog and this 'blowing' was just to itch the mites. Same sentiment was echoed by Pete the Vet on Pat Kenny once

Ah that's interesting-might check that out. She is quite happy chewing her bone in front of the fire here anyway .
    Dubl07 ur probably right in trying to reduce her stress levels. The vets call here a bit so I usually get them to check her if something is up but I can't rely on that either. If I can even get her to relax in the car that would be something!!

She just did it again and recorded itr. How do I post a video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

She just did it again and recorded itr. How do I post a video?

Definitely not an expert here, but maybe try attaching a file (the paperclip symbol)?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »

Definitely not an expert here, but maybe try attaching a file (the paperclip symbol)?
    Maybe I'm being a bit special but I can't find that attachments symbol...

You might need to click on "go advanced" for it to be visible. But I'm not sure it will work for all video files. You could turn it into a sound (MP3) file first, though it might be better to see the dog too I guess.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

L1985 wrote:

Are you using the app?

Just to follow up as I never did figure out how to upload the video. Brought her to the vet this evening and thank for all is good. She's missing something in her nose so this is her way of clearing her throat. And she's also at least 6months older then we thought!! So relieved thou

Oh and she freaked out at the vets but it was prob good for her as all he did was pet her and give her a cuddle so might calm her going forward.

Such a relief for you, I was nearly afraid to click on this in case it was something terrible (must be all the crazy news these days!!)

Anyway it's great that it's nothing, that's the best news of all!

volchitsa wrote: »
    Such a relief for you, I was nearly afraid to click on this in case it was something terrible (must be all the crazy news these days!!)

Anyway it's great that it's nothing, that's the best news of all!
    I know I'm delighted was actually after getting really worried there so it's all good!!mow just to get her to talk to me again

Advertisement