Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness and Mental Health

• 02-11-2016 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions.

I am looking to get going with a fitness regime but over the past few years problems have come up each time. I suffer from pretty bad mental health problems which make it hard for me to keep my head in the workout fold. I know it is probably actually good for your mental health but with me i've always struggled in this regard.
    Atm I have good days and bad days and I find it very tough to get up and go on the bad days and then if I skip my workout I feel like I am failing and may end in me saying to myself, 'Sure, ill start again next Monday'.

Anyone else with any similar experiences or any advice on how to work through it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions.

I am looking to get going with a fitness regime but over the past few years problems have come up each time. I suffer from pretty bad mental health problems which make it hard for me to keep my head in the workout fold. I know it is probably actually good for your mental health but with me i've always struggled in this regard.
    Atm I have good days and bad days and I find it very tough to get up and go on the bad days and then if I skip my workout I feel like I am failing and may end in me saying to myself, 'Sure, ill start again next Monday'.

Anyone else with any similar experiences or any advice on how to work through it? Thanks

There's a lot to be said for building habits. You won't always feel really motivated to go to the gym and workout but because it's a 'gym day' you go and get something done.

But it shouldn't feel like a failure to not go.

Once upon a time, I had to assess my relationship with the gym and why I went and if the reasons were positive or negative. I found it worthwhile because I realised that a big reason was I enjoyed the workout in and of itself.

Might be worth looking at your motivation for going to the gym. Maybe it's not for you. Bit maybe it is and you just need to reframe that motivation. Sometimes a slight change in mindset cam make a world of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Personally I find outdoor exercise better for my mental health than doing weights in the gym. Running or walking in a scenic place (that's near you so you can go regularly) are top of my list.
    If that's not possible, class based exercise also good- if you want weight training maybe something like a kettlebells class might suit you?
    It is hard for anyone to get motivated to go to the gym on their own, don't beat yourself up about it.
    One last tip- join the MyFitnessPal app or online community. Loads of encouragement on there. you might find someone you click with so you can motivate and support each other online.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Everybody has the days they don't want to exercise , the days where we want to take the easy option and tell ourselves we'll get back to it...it's the slippery road to never getting it done and we've all fallen into it.
    I find fitness core to my mental health , I've had really difficult times the past few years with family and work and I honestly think without my focus in the gym and training I would be a lot worst off. It became my go to, my release, my one hour in the day where I'd focus on me and because I'd have goals and my diet would be regimented I always had something to stay focused on and feel a hell of a lot better in myself.
    I've never once had a day where I didn't want to go to the gym but ended up going anyway and came out of it not feeling 100% better after the workout than I did before going in. The mental barrier is the first to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I know someone who was fighting through depression who joined crossfit. He found it to be really good, he spoke to the trainer who was understanding and encouraging and also the social aspect and camaraderie helped him come out of himself a bit more. It may not suit you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I suffered a lot with anxiety and depression OP which caused me a lot of problems last year with keeping up with fitness. It's a vicious circle since a great cure for your mental health is exercise but the last thing you want to do when stuck in a rut is exercise!

Best thing I found to motivate me was going to classes since you have to push yourself to keep up with the class, and the social outlet is brilliant since everyone is in such a good mood after a good workout and full of chat. The first one was a major hurdle trying to convince myself that no one will notice me being the new guy but I got over it and never looked back.

After those classes I signed up to martial arts classes which forced me to be around people for sparring. My social circle has grown and my anxiety has been significantly reduced!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Thanks for a the replies. Some great advice. Appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Thanks for a the replies. Some great advice. Appreciated

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057091324

Good thread which you might find of some benefit.

Advertisement