Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Cherry Blossom removal

Options
  • 02-11-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a little advice. I'm doing a bit of re-arranging of my garden in the coming months and moving my shed. I'll therefore need to remove a large mature Cherry Blossom tree (I assume 10-15 years old). I was going to just cut it down but a friend of mine said I should check first to see if it's worth anything as people sometimes buy mature trees.
    So what I'm wondering is
    1) is this something someone would buy
    2) if not would someone generally be looking for this and want to take it away
    3) am I better off just cutting it down

It's a lovely tree but I can't justify the amount of garden it takes up for the short period it holds petals

Thanks in advance

Blindside

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Assuming it's average size etc a cherry blossom of that age would not be possible to move without a lot of work, machinery etc. Cherries are very common and unless it's an unusual variety I'd say most people would not be interested. Your best bet is to chop away the top and side branches leaving a 1.5 -2m high trunk which you can lever back and forth to remove the roots. If it's close to a wall, driveway etc you might be better off cutting it to the ground instead and let the roots rot naturally. Cherries are normally vigorous and it may send up suckers around the garden. Just pull/dig them up as you see them.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Assuming it's average size etc a cherry blossom of that age would not be possible to move without a lot of work, machinery etc. Cherries are very common and unless it's an unusual variety I'd say most people would not be interested. Your best bet is to chop away the top and side branches leaving a 1.5 -2m high trunk which you can lever back and forth to remove the roots. If it's close to a wall, driveway etc you might be better off cutting it to the ground instead and let the roots rot naturally. Cherries are normally vigorous and it may send up suckers around the garden. Just pull/dig them up as you see them.

That's perfect, thanks very much. It's near 2 walls but I was hoping to concrete over where it is to place the new shed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just done the same job on a silver birch. Lovely tree but there were two of them in my small garden and it was just too much. Trunk is about 4/5 inches across. I took off all the branches (very easy) and am proposing to saw through any roots I can find easily then rock it out. I did have an offer to dig it up from someone (just take, not purchase), but I figured it would do too much damage to other nearby trees and destroy my lawn, so I got rid instead.

looksee wrote: »
    I have just done the same job on a silver birch. Lovely tree but there were two of them in my small garden and it was just too much. Trunk is about 4/5 inches across. I took off all the branches (very easy) and am proposing to saw through any roots I can find easily then rock it out. I did have an offer to dig it up from someone (just take, not purchase), but I figured it would do too much damage to other nearby trees and destroy my lawn, so I got rid instead.

Think I'll just go the same route to be honest, thanks for the input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Be prepared for battle getting it out, I dug out an old cherry blossom stump in the garden when I bought my house and the thing broke two garden forks and nearly me in the process, not a job for the faint hearted! It wasnt that big of a stump either, but the roots, oh the roots!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Be prepared for battle getting it out, I dug out an old cherry blossom stump in the garden when I bought my house and the thing broke two garden forks and nearly me in the process, not a job for the faint hearted! It wasnt that big of a stump either, but the roots, oh the roots!

Oh lovely. Looking forward to it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Oh lovely. Looking forward to it now :(
    Only advice I can give you is - invest in a mattock and keep it sharp, in the end that was the only thing strong enough to lever out the roots, maybe just cutting the blasted things and leaving in the ground just below the surface would have achieved the same thing overall as the stump space is just part of the lawn now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Only advice I can give you is - invest in a mattock and keep it sharp, in the end that was the only thing strong enough to lever out the roots, maybe just cutting the blasted things and leaving in the ground just below the surface would have achieved the same thing overall as the stump space is just part of the lawn now.

I was thinking of just cutting the roots and leaving them underground as I'll be concreting over anyway

Advertisement