Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Canon 450d to Canon 1300d - an ok idea?

• 02-11-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Canon 450d which i recieved as a gift, but at the time I never really got to use it much, which I greatly regret. In part due to usually travelling with no check in luggage and having to bring a medical device so practicalities made it difficult - sorted now.

Anyways I was thinking of selling it ( It has like maybe taken less than 700 photos - or shutter count - sorry can't remember the term) and maybe buying a Canon 1300d for my travel to China in January.

I picked this due to budget - but if some one had another suggestion even at higher cost I'd consider it

I guess my questions are
    1. Is this a good idea? the 450d is immaculate but old at this stage- might have some value to some one starting out etc .

2. later I was given a gift of a zoom lens - am not at home byt from memory its a Canon 55-250mm EF-S (??) - would this still work on the new camera ( I can check mounts etc when i am back home, but if any one could advise now might help with a purchase when price is good)

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Personally I'd try using the 450d for a while and see if you like taking pictures & do so regularly. If you do, maybe consider later if you want to change. You'll most likely lose on the trade anyway so the less you lose the better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I agree with the above comment. The 450D was an entry level DSLR as is the 1300D. Some of the tech has improved but the 450D will still do a great job to get started. If you do not take to photography then nothing is lost. On the other hand if you get the bug then you may want to step up to a better body than the entry level.

To use an analogy you have a VW Golfin good order you have hardly driven but it's a few years old. You are now going to start driving to the shops a few times a week, so instead on driving the old Golf you are considering buying the new model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

yes I was thinking the same thing overall.

But my alternate thinking was there was an option to buy a 1300d at a good price. If I did this offloading the 450d would contribute a little , and offloading it later would would make it pretty worthless . So if I got the 1300 and could use the zoom would have an ok camera to restart ( I did do some long time ago, it was my thing, and more opportunities now)

I am not sure if that makes sense - essentially it looks like for around 200 euro I could have a slightly more up todate camera , so not a crazy expense, and at same time offloading a camera which will become valueless, despite its sadly immaculate condition ?

Advertisement