Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not illegal to be rude, but it's annoying

Options
  • 02-11-2016 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭

I had an infuriating incident today, I was cycling home doing about 23kph in the dark on a busy cycle lane in Dublin (helmet, lights on, well lit up) when a car pulled out in front of me from a minor road, he had a stop sign that he ignored. Properly in front of me, I jammed on but it wasn't enough, had to steer right to avoid him, he drove off. Car behind me thought he'd hit me and asked was I ok.

When I caught up with him in heavy traffic I knocked on his window and said in a friendly but surprised fashion "that was a bit close, you nearly got me there!" He rolled down his window and said "You were cycling too fast and you need more lights, now f**k off C**t. Every time I tried to say something he repeated his mantra "f**k off C**t, f**k off C**t.. nothing I could do, just kept repeating his mantra with his middle finger held up to my face every time I spoke!!

Nothing I could do! Got his reg, but by the time I got home I'd got it wrong, checked on cartell.ie and it didn't match the car.

Just thought I'd share. My hands were shaking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I had an infuriating incident today, I was cycling home doing about 23kph in the dark on a busy cycle lane in Dublin (helmet, lights on, well lit up) when a car pulled out in front of me from a minor road, he had a stop sign that he ignored. Properly in front of me, I jammed on but it wasn't enough, had to steer right to avoid him, he drove off. Car behind me thought he'd hit me and asked was I ok.

When I caught up with him in heavy traffic I knocked on his window and said in a friendly but surprised fashion "that was a bit close, you nearly got me there!" He rolled down his window and said "You were cycling too fast and you need more lights, now f**k off C**t. Every time I tried to say something he repeated his mantra "f**k off C**t, f**k off C**t.. nothing I could do, just kept repeating his mantra with his middle finger held up to my face every time I spoke!!

Nothing I could do! Got his reg, but by the time I got home I'd got it wrong, checked on cartell.ie and it didn't match the car.

Just thought I'd share. My hands were shaking.

https://youtu.be/13CSWRyaAgA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ford2600 wrote: »

Ha!

Wait a sec, is that sellsword talking about me?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are plenty of them out there. Not looking forward to Friday. I genuinely believe people are going to go out and think, no Gardai today, feck it, I'm taking chances.

Anyway, this would go well in Buffalo and Doozerie....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056767318

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Got his reg, but by the time I got home I'd got it wrong, checked on cartell.ie and it didn't match the car.
    wonder if there's any point in reporting this to the gardai?
    even just to give them a description of the car currently with those plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement

wonder if there's any point in reporting this to the gardai?
    even just to give them a description of the car currently with those plates?

No, I checked, I got the wrong plates, I muddled up the numbers. Not a hope. Towards the end I gathered he was goading me in to doing something stupid so he could retaliate. He was the most annoying man in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

Make, model and a partial reg might be enough.

pillphil wrote: »
    Make, model and a partial reg might be enough.

Unbelievably (for me, as I'm a keen motorist) I didn't get the make, let alone the model. I was blinded by rage!! And anyway, what would they say? Your word against his, and he was just rude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Ha!

Wait a sec, is that sellsword talking about me?

😀

You should have told him your boards username; see how tough he was then...

ford2600 wrote: »
    😀

You should have told him your boards username; see how tough he was then...

I'm the latter day John Rambo. Just want a quiet life.

He was a middle aged, chubby bloke in a people carrier on his I phone 7!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Was it Ronnie Pickering? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I'm the latter day John Rambo. Just want a quiet life.

He was a middle aged, chubby bloke in a people carrier on his I phone 7!

Maybe time to consider investing in a good helmet cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

Borderfox wrote: »

Like he wouldn't recognise Ronnie Pickering :p

Borderfox wrote: »

I had to google that! My Ronnie was English too!! They tend to be good motorists though. Not in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

No crime against rudeness. If he said it to a Gardaí it would be a different story but a member of public insulting another person. No crime.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    No crime against rudeness. If he said it to a Gardaí it would be a different story but a member of public insulting another person. No crime.

Yeah, notch it down to experience. Very annoying though, the only reason he didn't hit me was because I took serious evasive action. My back wheel was in the air when he pulled out in front of me, I had to stop braking and go around him then to avoid going over. His attitude was horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Yeah, notch it down to experience. Very annoying though, the only reason he didn't hit me was because I took serious evasive action. My back wheel was in the air when he pulled out in front of me, I had to stop braking and go around him then to avoid going over. His attitude was horrible.

You wouldn't catch me doing that. I avoid confrontation when I get on my bike. Keep to the safe route and away from the congested roads. Be safe out there on the roadways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Substitute the near-miss cut-off for a couple-of-inches-close-pass-at-speed and the “f**k off” for “ugly” and you’ve got an encounter of mine from a few years ago. One of those few occasions when I’ve thought “I wonder what that person is capable of”, a sense of really deep nastiness

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I think Friday is going to be no different than any other day of the week. The c***s will continue to be c***s, and decent folk will continue to be decent folk. The only difference Friday will bring is that there will be official impunity, as opposed to unofficial impunity, which exists pretty much every day of the week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

These people need to be murdered. Unfortunately there are just too many of them, so it's best to just let it go entirely.

If you hadn't started the conversation you would have probably ended up less annoyed. Those conversations rarely end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Eh didn't you say he went clean through a stop sign?
    If you see him again, report that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

"You were cycling too fast and you need more lights, now f**k off C**t. Every time I tried to say something he repeated his mantra "f**k off C**t, f**k off C**t.. nothing I could do, just kept repeating his mantra with his middle finger held up to my face every time I spoke!!

That's his argument. On his terms, he won!

On terms of any normal human civility, well, I won't insult apes with a comparison!

Someone's going to film him doing this and he's going to end up in court for driving without due care and consideration. Karma is poised like the Sword of Damocles over his sewer-mouthed head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

No, I checked, I got the wrong plates, I muddled up the numbers. Not a hope. Towards the end I gathered he was goading me in to doing something stupid so he could retaliate. He was the most annoying man in the world.

You will never get decency from somebody that acts like they own the road. They will always be right and always have no class. They just can't get to that basic level of politeness and kindness most human beings operate at.

I would report them every time if it were possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cars send some people mad. Only explanation I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Cars send some people mad. Only explanation I can come up with.

I somehow doubt this person is all sweetness and light - except when behind the wheel... there's a long trail of anti-social behaviour following someone like this around in every aspect of their life.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lumen wrote: »
    These people need to be murdered. Unfortunately there are just too many of them, so it's best to just let it go entirely.

If you hadn't started the conversation you would have probably ended up less annoyed. Those conversations rarely end well.

This my thinking too. I used to politely approach drivers just to explain but now I don't bother. It usually ends up like the OPs experience and all it does is stress me out and raise my HR.

So I find it best to just let it go (not easy sometimes). If it's a serious enough near miss I'll take the number if I can and report it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

crosstownk wrote: »
    This my thinking too. I used to politely approach drivers just to explain but now I don't bother. It usually ends up like the OPs experience and all it does is stress me out and raise my HR.

So I find it best to just let it go (not easy sometimes). If it's a serious enough near miss I'll take the number if I can and report it later.

Sound advice.

10 years ago when I started my present commute I was going to correct all driver misdemeanours and advise them nicely how they could improve.

Now I just enjoy my cycling, watch out for potential hazards, and arrive home or into work feeling happy and not stressed.

Even when somebody beeps at me I raise my hand in a vague gesture of apology (whether right or wrong) and continue on my merry way..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Actually:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6

6.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person in a public place to use or engage in any threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to provoke a breach of the peace or being reckless as to whether a breach of the peace may be occasioned.

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to both.

Probably the single most commonly prosecuted offence (other than RTA offences) on the statute book, along with section 4 of the same act which is :

4.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person to be present in any public place while intoxicated to such an extent as would give rise to a reasonable apprehension that he might endanger himself or any other person in his vicinity.

Edit: From the original description I would not have guessed it was a middle aged, relatively affluent (iphone 7) family man in a people carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Fian wrote: »

Yeah, I was thinking that using threatening or insulting language is technically an offence. I had a neighbour who didn't get on with another neighbour, and one day neighbour A called on neighbour B to stop doing DIY at 8pm (or something like that), and B told A to "**** off". A went to police and the police gave B a warning about using such language being an offence in that context.

I was quite young when it happened, so I might be misremembering details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

That's a first I suppose. I reckon he realised the absurdity of this comment and got stuck on a loop with the three worst words he could think of. He's a Trump man.

Advertisement