Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not illegal to be rude, but it's annoying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm glad we're friends. Yes, I agree it's an offence. It's treated with great indulgence though. You may be heading down a path that ends with you curating a rather dull YouTube channel.

This is the corner and the direction, I will cycle in the middle of my lane from now on. I don't see an issue with it.

http://www.onlinestreetview.com/@53.297319,-6.240528,-124.55h,4p,1z

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

All road users should do a test. Majority of cars and cyclists I see can't use the roads correctly.

When should they bring in this "driving test"?

This is the corner and the direction, I will cycle in the middle of my lane from now on. I don't see an issue with it.

There's an alleyway you could go down and cut out that corner altogether.

why cycle so close to the kerb to begin with? just cycle 2 - 3 feet out all the time and force the driver to overtake you properly. also gives you more space to react if you need to.

in my experience cycling at the kerb encourages drivers to attempt dangerously close overtaking manouevres (sp) so best to proactively deter them from that option.

Because I like to be considerate to my neighbours, but I will be cycling more defensively in certain areas. The reason I was in so far at this bend is because I honestly didn't think anyone would be so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    It's hard not to say something when you've been put in danger, had an incident like that a few years ago with a Bus Eireann driver who came booting up behind me honking his horn & went in for a close pass. It had me very shook & he was totally unapologetic when I said something politely as possible to him. His complaint was I should've been in the bike lane as he believed it was mandatory. Wouldn't accept that it wasn't. I would've been in it had it been in good nick, but for anyone who knows the southbound stretch between RTE & UCD they'll know the condition it's in. Reported him to Bus Eireann but wish I had gotten the reg & reported to the Gardaí.
    I had a similar incident a few years ago on the Rock Road outbound (on-road cycle lane, dashed lines) which I reported to Dublin Bus. Happily, the road has recently been resurfaced so I will willingly stay in the cycle lane (unless obstructed) :D Of course there's still not room for a bus to pass safely anyway. Driver wold not listen to that argument, nor the one about hte lane not being mandatory, nor the one about it being unwise to hurl the back of his bus in at me.
    Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I didn't help the cause this morning as I threw a one finger salute at a fella in a Rover who felt the need to honk as he overtook me. The only cause for complaint he could've had was that I was on the road instead of the off road cycle lane as there was plenty of room to overtake safely.
    Was honked at by an overtaking car recently while riding a doors-width from a long line of parked cars. Enquired about the reason at the nearby lights and was informed (reasonably politely) that I was "in the middle of the road", to which I shouted a description of the situation, then realised the futility :mad:

• Advertisement

There's an alleyway you could go down and cut out that corner altogether.

I'm coming from town : ) So if its the alleyway you're thnking of, I'd then have to cross the road to continue my journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well actually for any motorist to attempt to overtake on that corner seems the height of stupidity. Especially if you were travelling at a reasonable speed.

However as its in an estate its entirely possible as you go around the corner you could meet another car on the wrong side of the road.

Cars in housing estates perform all sorts of strange manoeuvers.

I'm coming from town : ) So if its the alleyway you're thnking of, I'd then have to cross the road to continue my journey.

It goes from Farmhill Drive to Mount Carmel Road. It's very quiet and it totally avoids that corner. You could use it going in either direction.

It might be officially a footpath, it's not entirely clear to me, but if you go slowly and give way to pedestrians, I can't see it being much of a problem. I think it's preferable to using that blind corner all the time. It's certainly no slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

When should they bring in this "driving test"?

Should be every 5 years for all, easy money making tool.

But then again you could pass an exam and still not practice the rules on the road.

Seaswimmer wrote: »

However as its in an estate its entirely possible as you go around the corner you could meet another car on the wrong side of the road.

Cars in housing estates perform all sorts of strange manoeuvers.

if we all thought like that, we'd get the bus.

I average over 30kmh on any reasonable stretch of road, I'd obviously be slowing down for the corner, which is the point where this muppet took his chance. By being in the centre of the lane, I'm not giving him the option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Because I like to be considerate to my neighbours, but I will be cycling more defensively in certain areas. The reason I was in so far at this bend is because I honestly didn't think anyone would be so stupid.

unfortunately that consideration often only swings one way as you've seen! and as a result you have to remove the option of a close shave for your own safety.

It goes from Farmhill Drive to Mount Carmel Road. It's very quiet and it totally avoids that corner. You could use it going in either direction.

It might be officially a footpath, it's not entirely clear to me, but if you go slowly and give way to pedestrians, I can't see it being much of a problem. I think it's preferable to using that blind corner all the time. It's certainly no slower.

Yeah I know the one : ) but I'm not scared to cycle this corner, I was just highlighting more crazy driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Enquired about the reason at the nearby lights and was informed (reasonably politely) that I was "in the middle of the road", to which I shouted a description of the situation, then realised the futility :mad:

So the guy "politely" tells you the issue and you proceed to shout at him?

But then again you could pass an exam and still not practice the rules on the road.

Yeah, I was making a hamfisted reference to the already existing driving test not really leading to full rule compliance.

unfortunately that consideration often only swings one way as you've seen! and as a result you have to remove the option of a close shave for your own safety.

And right there your adding to the problem

If I have a close shave with a cyclist that's in the wrong, should I block all cyclists in?

I know that route, and I'd be happy going either way. You'd be fine taking the middle of your lane at the blind corner. I wouldn't take the middle of the road though, as you do meet cars coming the other way not entirely on their side of the road, and you'd see them quite late, and you might have someone simultaneously trying to overtake you. Pretty unpredictable situation.

But yeah, that corner's fine, on balance.

Yeah, I was making a hamfisted reference to the already existing driving test not really leading to full rule compliance.

I know but there is no solution regarding tests, any idiot can learn theory and once you do the practical you don't have to do right thing every day, even if test was once a week.

If I have a close shame with a cyclist that's in the wrong, should I block all cyclists in?

They're talking about being an arm's length out from the side of the road in a quiet suburb. There's no blocking in or boxing in going on.

They're talking about being an arm's length out from the side of the road in a quiet suburb. There's no blocking in or boxing in going on.

I was talking about the quote "consideration only swings one way"

Yeah, but the "reprisal" for the lack of reciprocal consideration is cycling an arm's length from the side of the road, which he should really do anyway.

Unless I'm misreading the conversation.

• Advertisement

If I have a close shame with a cyclist that's in the wrong, should I block all cyclists in?

come again? you're welcome to expand on why you think it's advisable to cycle at the kerb as was described by the poster that i was replying to.

consider 2 options...

1) cycle close to the kerb. some drivers will be pass you at a close shave. motorists who behave correctly will not do so because there isn't sufficient space.

2) cycle out from the kerb and the first car above is now discouraged from passing closely. all other cars who would have behaved properly and not overtaken dangerously are unaffected as they will give you space anyway, meaning they most likely couldn't pass either way until there is no oncoming traffic.

Yeah, but the "reprisal" for the lack of reciprocal consideration is cycling an arm's length from the side of the road, which he should really do anyway.

Unless I'm misreading the conversation.

Maybe your right.

Some day if I remember I will take picture of dame st during morning rush coming towards olympia.

Am I allowed to post them up here?

I was talking about the quote "consideration only swings one way"

which you've then misquoted :) i said that consideration often only swings one way. i'm not coming at this from an us v them angle, simply giving my suggestion of a sensible approach (imo) to preventing dangerous overtaking manouevres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Maybe your right.

Some day if I remember I will take picture of dame st during morning rush coming towards olympia.

Am I allowed to post them up here?

What do you expect the pictures to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

davo2001 wrote: »
    So the guy "politely" tells you the issue and you proceed to shout at him?
    I mentioned "reasonably politely" just to acknowledge that it wasn't another case of the ultra-rude behaviour that was the subject of the OP and my first post in the thread :pac:

The shouting was in exasperation at his implication that I should be cycling through the parked cars, if at all :confused:

which you've then misquoted :) i said that consideration often only swings one way. i'm not coming at this from an us v them angle, simply giving my suggestion of a sensible approach (imo) to preventing dangerous overtaking manouevres.

Fair enough.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    What do you expect the pictures to show?

Idiotic drivers and cyclists. Cycling wrong side of road, buses pulling in on cyclists etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

crosstownk wrote: »
    This my thinking too. I used to politely approach drivers just to explain but now I don't bother. It usually ends up like the OPs experience and all it does is stress me out and raise my HR.

So I find it best to just let it go (not easy sometimes). If it's a serious enough near miss I'll take the number if I can and report it later.

In my experience this is the best advice in the thread.

I used to be a terrible hot head, but the older and more experience I get I'm a lot calmer now and usually just let the idiots, but tbh I'm not sure how I'd deal with someone screaming in my face like the OP.

Good point about raising your HR [and blood pressure].. I'm normally calm now, but I'll use last nights example.. I was in my car and had an idiot continue to flash me, give me the finger etc and like a fool I got out to confront him.. I'm not a small lad, I'm not the type you expect to get out of a little Citroen C3 lol ~ I'd a few choice words for the prick, but when I got back into my car I had to admit to myself that I was no better and had probably made a tit of myself to other road users.

But that was a rarity for me these days.. Glad you were calmer OP, its really not worth getting pissed off over these idiots.

But someone screaming 'Fook off kunt' on repeat into my face :mad: ~ probably wouldn't end well lol, fair play to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

All road users should do a test. Majority of cars and cyclists I see can't use the roads correctly.

A bike might not cause much damage but it could cause a car to crash and cause damage
    Pedestrians too, I presume? After all, they could cause a car to crash and cause damage.
    In my experience this is the best advice in the thread.

I used to be a terrible hot head, but the older and more experience I get I'm a lot calmer now and usually just let the idiots, but tbh I'm not sure how I'd deal with someone screaming in my face like the OP.

Good point about raising your HR [and blood pressure].. I'm normally calm now, but I'll use last nights example.. I was in my car and had an idiot continue to flash me, give me the finger etc and like a fool I got out to confront him.. I'm not a small lad, I'm not the type you expect to get out of a little Citroen C3 lol ~ I'd a few choice words for the prick, but when I got back into my car I had to admit to myself that I was no better and had probably made a tit of myself to other road users.

But that was a rarity for me these days.. Glad you were calmer OP, its really not worth getting pissed off over these idiots.

Just for clarity, it is possible for two adults to engage on the road without it turning into a road rage screaming match. Having a chat with another driver does not frequently end up the kind of the response the OP got.
    But someone screaming 'Fook off kunt' on repeat into my face :mad: ~ probably wouldn't end well lol, fair play to ya
    I've had variations on this kind of response occasionally. I think it is a 'denial' kind of response - If I shout loudly enough and keep shouting, I don't have to hear anything the other guy says and therefore I win.

Something like laughing loudly in his face can help to break the shouting cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I had an infuriating incident today, I was cycling home doing about 23kph in the dark on a busy cycle lane in Dublin (helmet, lights on, well lit up) when a car pulled out in front of me from a minor road, he had a stop sign that he ignored. Properly in front of me, I jammed on but it wasn't enough, had to steer right to avoid him, he drove off. Car behind me thought he'd hit me and asked was I ok.

When I caught up with him in heavy traffic I knocked on his window and said in a friendly but surprised fashion "that was a bit close, you nearly got me there!" He rolled down his window and said "You were cycling too fast and you need more lights, now f**k off C**t. Every time I tried to say something he repeated his mantra "f**k off C**t, f**k off C**t.. nothing I could do, just kept repeating his mantra with his middle finger held up to my face every time I spoke!!

Nothing I could do! Got his reg, but by the time I got home I'd got it wrong, checked on cartell.ie and it didn't match the car.

Just thought I'd share. My hands were shaking.

I sympathise with you but I personally would never ever ever knock on someone windows in attempt to interact with them. It's just not sensible.

By all means , take their reg, but even that entails a risk as you are cycling in a manner that is distracting you and you might do some harm to yourself as a result.

One thing I like to keep myself aware off is that being on the roads is the one place in life apart from walking that you are mixing with people who could be absolutely anybody. The best or the worst people in life. I wouldn't like to take a chance that your willingly interacting with the worst people in life, just to make a point.

Advertisement