Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not illegal to be rude, but it's annoying

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

tl;dr? Cyclist had a near miss with motorist, words were exchanged. Moving on...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Op Here folks!
    But someone screaming 'Fook off kunt' on repeat into my face mad.png ~ probably wouldn't end well lol, fair play to ya

Ha... yeah, that certainly could have got messy!! You know, he wasn't screaming, just doing it with a sort of sneering dismissive way with a smile, he had his middle finger out the window an inch from my face and just kept it up, when I moved my head left, he'd move his middle finger left....! You know me, I'm anti localism surfer, I'm not in to confrontation and I interacted with him in a surprised "did you not see me" fashion, but it was so infuriating, I was beginning to see red so it was time to leave! Basically, he did wrong, was called out on it and then he won the discussion in a Trump way!

I cycled off muttering his reg to remember it, got home to kids, cooking, lunch making, steak, glass of red, chat with wife and regurgitated the reg arseways.
    learn_more wrote: »
    I sympathise with you but I personally would never ever ever knock on someone windows in attempt to interact with them. It's just not sensible.

I'm taking you're advice on 100% Learn More, and the others with similar posts to yours, thanks for all the advice from everyone on the thread, particularly the more experienced millennium cyclists, it's a different road now... Bad mistake on my behalf. Won't be doing it again in any fashion.
    degsie wrote: »
    tl;dr? Cyclist had a near miss with motorist, words were exchanged. Moving on...wink.png

And as for you. Why did you post? Are you bored, are you a troll, or are you just being really good at being unhelpful?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've knocked on windows twice in the last year or two - one driver reacted with 'oh **** i'm really sorry', the other denied he'd done anything wrong, and then blamed the lorry in front of him. with that guy, i ended up just repeating 'what you did was illegal and dangerous. please don't do that again, please don't do that again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Two gob****es, one female, ran a pedestrian crossing (under the Luas bridge in Ranelagh) today and almost took out two people. I'm slightly accepting of cyclists jumping the red on these type of crossings on a straight road (what I mean is, it annoys me but only slightly).
    But what kind of idiot cycles through when people are crossing?

Myself, I will never run a light under any circumstances. I've found when it comes to lights, you have to make a decision not to jump them and stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What kind? The kind that cycles down Dame Street, I find. For some reason, the pedestrian crossing near the Olympia is a magnet for fast-moving cyclists, many on Dublin Bikes, who go straight through the lights, weaving between the pedestrians.
    As usual, these people then have to stop at the George's Street lights 125 metres ahead.

• Advertisement

Well my route is from the goat into town. But as someone said its hard to stereotype the dangerous cyclists, all types.

I've noticed a lot of close passes by other cyclists at speed at a red light too. I always catch up to these guys before the next light anyway, so I'd have to guess that they haven't been commuting long. I pretty much amble along at along at approx 30-40kmh, so I'd guess these guys aren't breaking 20kmh by much.

There has been a lot more cycle traffic on this route lately (always good to see) so I'd imagine, there's a bed-in period until they get a few scares and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

There has been a lot more cycle traffic on this route lately (always good to see) so I'd imagine, there's a bed-in period until they get a few scares and cop on.

It's great to see so many people cycling, our company does the B2W scheme in April & October so you always see a little increase in the number of people cycling in. There's a nice brand new Merida sitting in our bike rack this morning.

I drove on Tuesday thinking it'd be light traffic, turns out it was fine in the morning but mayhem in the evening. I've cycled to work every day since & it's so much more pleasant even with the cold & drizzle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well my route is from the goat into town. But as someone said its hard to stereotype the dangerous cyclists, all types.

I've noticed a lot of close passes by other cyclists at speed at a red light too. I always catch up to these guys before the next light anyway, so I'd have to guess that they haven't been commuting long. I pretty much amble along at along at approx 30-40kmh, so I'd guess these guys aren't breaking 20kmh by much.

Legend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On the route from The Goat into town, I think the yellow boxes are where a cyclist in a hurry is likely to come a cropper, or the turn in to the school on the left near the bottom of the hill from The Goat. Cross-traffic where drivers very often can't see the cycle track because of all the stationary traffic so they nose in a bit and then commit to turning off the road with sort of a "it's in the hands of God now" attitude.

Closest call I ever had was a yellow box, so maybe I'm just once bitten and twice shy.

If you're going to take a number, repeat it to yourself till you're able to pull in, then write it on your wrist.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Legend:)

I averaged 32 on the hill from st Killians to the Goat one day :D Likewise I hit over 50kmh from the canal to Ranelagh.

Its only around 6Km commute anyways, so I try to make the most of it. :)

tomasrojo wrote: »
    On the route from The Goat into town, I think the yellow boxes are where a cyclist in a hurry is likely to come a cropper, or the turn in to the school on the left near the bottom of the hill from The Goat. Cross-traffic where drivers very often can't see the cycle track because of all the stationary traffic so they nose in a bit and then commit to turning off the road with sort of a "it's in the hands of God now" attitude.

Closest call I ever had was a yellow box, so maybe I'm just once bitten and twice shy.

Yeah, this is another place where I've seen some doozies. Some cyclists see the red light stopping traffic from the St Killians and think they'll get the jump on the impending green light. Unfortunately this is when both lights stay red to allow for a pedestrian crossing. I've seen the odd close call there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

On the R136 off road cycle path this morning, a van had blocked the entrance to get back on to it

Just behind the silver car here

Right across it, and there are boulders on either side of the entrance to make it harder to squeeze through. I said it to the lady as she was letting her dogs out of the back of the van 'Sorry, you're actually blocking the cycle entrance there'. And she was grand about it. Said she'd move out of my way - I think she thought I meant she herself was blocking me.. Anyway, I squeezed between her van and the boulder, up over the curb, and went on my merry way. But then I felt awful. I was in no way impolite, and would have said it if it was a man or woman..dunno why, just felt I should have said nothing. It made no difference really, but maybe she won't park right across it in future.. who knows :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I averaged 32 on the hill from st Killians to the Goat one day :D Likewise I hit over 50kmh from the canal to Ranelagh.

Tell us more :cool:

daragh_ wrote: »

Beast! How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

old enough to know better :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just for clarity, it is possible for two adults to engage on the road without it turning into a road rage screaming match.

Just for clarity, I'm a red head ~ its not :P

Thinking about the OP's description of the interaction, I've realised what the problem is. The guy in the car is clearly a youngest child.

The youngest has only one weapon: the ability to be sweetly, sneeringly maddening. In our family, it was to stroke the cheek of the eldest brother with one scratchy finger, murmuring "Temper… temper… temper…" until he exploded.

When he finally learned to shrug and go away, it was most annoying for the younger siblings.

Advertisement