Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane or Sydney???

Options
  • 03-11-2016 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Heading to Oz in February (WHV), in the process of booking flights but not sure where to fly to. Looking to get a decent job with my childcare degree (assessed as ECT) and my boyfriend looking for work as a Fitter, he is Fas qualified M.A.M.F. not sure how difficult it will be for him to find work without paying a few thousand to get his qualifications assessed.

so trying to pick where would suit us best. We would like to see both but would also like to rent privately. Is it possible to short term rent a 1 bed apartment? for say 6 months or less?

Another thing swaying our decision is the weather? I heard Sydney can be cold and wet in the winter months?

any advice/help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

No idea about fitter/childcare jobs in either, but you're right the weather does get cold in Sydney in winter. You get a lot of sunny cold days, and some very very wet days but it's not as if it rains all the time through winter. Have only spent a few weeks in Brisbane for work so can't say a whole lot about it other than it was very very humid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Lots of work in Sydney right now. A shortage of skilled people, especially for construction so you partner with his fitting experience shouldn't struggle I think. No point getting skills assessed on a WHV either, not worth it. Easily getting recruitment agency work for skilled labouring on sites. Agency rates are anywhere from about $30 upwards depending where you are working.

For childcare, you'll need to get your Working With Children certificate and possible your Garda police check from Ireland too. My partner is a nanny. There are lots of agency work going but might be more difficult to get a long term family to work with on a WHV but not impossible. A friend arrived a few weks ago and works in childcare and got a job in the city no problems in a creche/childcare centre no bother.

Look at Seek.com.au for jobs.

Sydney the past few years has been a bit old and wet during the winter months. Brisbane is definitely a nice climate in winter but much hotter in summer generally.

Advertisement