Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out in the final year.

Options
  • 03-11-2016 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all.

Been meaning to ask this for awhile - what are your opinions on dropping out in last year of level 8 degree?

Ill lay the cards out on the table.
    I hate my course.
    I hate everything about it.
    I wake up at 7am, just to come home at 8pm, to do work I barely understand until 12pm. Its making me f***ing miserable. I constantly look like a zombified version of myself, diet is gone to s**t, im always worried about deadlines, I barely sleep....it goes on and on.
    Every lecturer expects me to do 200% more work than I am already doing, and while i might not be performing up to their standards, im absolutely trying my best.

Im just tired. I was working as part of a student placement in 3rd year, working 8am-8pm, and it was a break compared to how I feel in college.

I paid my fees for this year, but I really dont care about them to be honest.
    Meeting tomorrow to discuss if I can leave with just a level 7 degree.

What are your opinions people?
    Is it hard to get back into education once youve left?

Only reason Im still here is not to disappoint the family, and knowing that im 1 and 1/2 semesters away from getting a level 8.

But does a level 8 mean that much?

Ive been building up to it for 3 and a half years, and I think I reached my breaking point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 diamind

To be blunt, I think you'll regret that decision, and not just because of the money. All those years you studied - part of them will go to waste (i.e. employability). On a more positive note, if you push through the final year, that doesn't mean that you absolutely have to continue doing what you're doing with your degree. You could find a job in a distantly related area and maybe you would still like it? Or you could switch to a different field during your MA studies? Giving up is, in my opinion, the worst option. So yes - a level 8 (which I assume is an honours BA or similar) means a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

What is your degree in? but I think I agree with the above poster that you should try your best to finish the degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was in EXACTLY your situation 20 yrs ago when I had a job with a level 6 cert in Engineering (electronics) and was let go when the place closed down. I did a level 7 and barely passed...you need at least a merit (60%) to continue on to a level 8 so I was stuck. I managed to get a job with the level 7 at that time 1995 and I was not good at or liking my job very much. I later found out that I had a social and development condition which made a move to supervision or management, a move which should have been a logical move for my age and experience, impossible or difficult.

I would estimate that a level 8 degree is now the minimum standard of education required to enter the jobs market at a management or supervisor level and a level 7 might get you into a junior job with more training and formation required.

I do not know what your degree is in so cannot be more forthcoming with advice.

If it is an electrical of mechanical type of degree it may be possible to do an apprenticeship in a similar line of work and approach advancement towards a job in that manner. Academic work is not for everyone and that was my shortcoming....not being able to grasp the abstract nature of maths quickly enough to do well enough in the subject to achieve a high enough standard to pass into the level 8 degree course.I had not got a cert in a suitable trade which is what all employers are looking for in people nowadays...either a level 8 degree or a time served apprenticeship....plumber mechanic or electrician with additional certs in whatever the specialty is... I cannot stress how important getting the honours degree is in order to get a job in todays market....it is the new norm.

Advertisement