Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If England and Scotland defy the poppy ban...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone else fed up to the back teeth of this annual nonsense?

They are so uptight about the Poppy now, even Sesame Street characters have to wear them now ffs.

I though the cookie monster looked very dignified and respectful.It was a beautiful tribute by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone else fed up to the back teeth of this annual nonsense?

They are so uptight about the Poppy now, even Sesame Street characters have to wear them now ffs.

You'd swear the UK were only ever involved in WWII, as that's all that's mentioned when they're discussing the poppy. The BBC did a piece this morning on a 101 year old veteran out selling them. Jesus, would you have the heart to tell him to get lost!? There's never any mention of India, Ireland etc. The poppy represents ALL British wars so that's why people have a problem with it. You can't just make it about WWII and "didn't we sort out Hitler, show some respect".

fyfe79 wrote: »
    You'd swear the UK were only ever involved in WWII, as that's all that's mentioned when they're discussing the poppy...

Um...I'd associate it far more with WWI, Flanders Fields etc.

Um...I'd associate it far more with WWI, Flanders Fields etc.

Fair enough, but what was going on in Ireland under their jurisdiction at the same time? Not that I'm bothered by symbolism such as the poppy, but I find it a little disengenious from UK folk, and the FA's, that they're surprised when they encounter opposition to the poppy.

Btw, I think the FAI were wrong to put the 1916 message on the shirt too. One rule for all. Although, I wouldn't seeing what kind of slogan North Korea would come up with if they thought FIFA would turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I never really get the outcry about the poppy, truth be told. Its a remembrance day.

Its not a celebration of victory, or a glorification of war and conquering, but a time of reflection for the lives lost.

Granted, its from a British Army perspective, but the whole thing came about following WWI and ridiculous loss of life that stemmed from that. I don't really see it as a major political move, or some sort of justification or dick swinging contest with regards to their invasion of Ireland, the Falklands War, or anything else along those lines, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

davycc wrote: »
    Irelands jerseys just had 1916-2016 embroidered on them on our 100 year anniversary , we don't understand Easter Lillys on our shirts which would be a political statement . No double standards on our behalf to be fair .

Phrasing it that way doesn't make it any less of a political statement.

Knex. wrote: »
    I never really get the outcry about the poppy, truth be told. Its a remembrance day.

Its not a celebration of victory, or a glorification of war and conquering, but a time of reflection for the lives lost.

I agree about the poppy itself. In focussing on WWI too, it's not overtly political in a whole stopping fascism thing either, for me it represents the huge numbers from many countries that went into the meat grinder of northern France and Belgium and the horror of war.

But on the other hand, rules are rules, FIFA has decided it is political, and if they proceed I think they should face sanction. And not sure a fine is enough, it would be kinda saying "yeah...but our political symbols are above your rules"

Sport is one of the last bastion's of life that tries to keep politics out of the frame, thankfully. I think allowing symbolism such as the poppy, or indeed the lily, will unlock a gate that we don't want opened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Sport is one of the last bastion's of life that tries to keep politics out of the frame, thankfully. I think allowing symbolism such as the poppy, or indeed the lily, will unlock a gate that we don't want opened.

Sport is a Bastion of politics

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I despise what the poppy stands for but I couldn't care less if individuals wear it or if England and Scotland wear it in a match. If they want to then let them but will they think the same when somebody wants to wear a political symbol that they don't like?

The real debate surrounding the poppy should be why does an underfunded charity have to provide services to men and women who have risked their lives "for their country" yet their country and Government has turned their back on them.

Let the poppy fascists have their way but if they win this they'll be whinging about other political symbols in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Knex. wrote: »

Granted, its from a British Army perspective, but the whole thing came about following WWI and ridiculous loss of life that stemmed from that. I don't really see it as a major political move, or some sort of justification or dick swinging contest with regards to their invasion of Ireland, the Falklands War, or anything else along those lines, to be honest.

My problem with the poppy isn't with what it supposedly commemorates. It's that all the money raised goes to British soldiers who fought in recent wars, including Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

My problem with the poppy isn't with what it supposedly commemorates. It's that all the money raised goes to British soldiers who fought in recent wars, including Ireland.

It's commemorating people fighting in illegal wars and killing people in my country, I have an issue with wanting to commemorate that from my point of view but can understand why some British people want to commemorate these people.

The likes of Fine Gael's Neale Redmond wears one but does he really understand who and what he's commemorating? I don't think so.

If the poppy was merely for those who died in WW1 and WW2 would many people have issues with it? I doubt I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

England and Scotland voted for the rule that England and Scotland now want to break. As an English person who has worn a poppy many, many times over the last three decades I'm kinda sick of it. If the players want to wear a poppy in the pre and post match celebrations fine, if they want a dignified minute's silence or lay a wreath before the anthem or something fine.

Stitching a poppy into the two kits and forcing people to participate annoys me. In part because I then have to read about it on here and get told again about how people in England are forced to wear poppies (they're not) and how it glorifies war (it doesn't).

Taking on Fifa sets a horrible precedent, especially considering that we just sacked a manager for acknowledging that there were ways to not abide by other Fifa rules.

And I've backed Scotland at 8/1. For ****s sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Wales are wearing plain black armbands as they can't add the poppy emblem. Out of interest since they wear red jerseys could they "cut-out" a poppy shaped stencil in the black armband so that it looked like a poppy without infringing of fifa's rule not to wear an emblem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Beefy78 wrote: »

8/1? With Southgate as manager? Far odds to be sure, but it's hardly much of an 'away' game given the location, Southgate is manager, the Scots who will be far more up for it than the English most likely... and, and well... Southgate is manager.

8-10 wrote: »
    Wales are wearing plain black armbands as they can't add the poppy emblem. Out of interest since they wear red jerseys could they "cut-out" a poppy shaped stencil in the black armband so that it looked like a poppy without infringing of fifa's rule not to wear an emblem?

Doubt it, it's still an image, albeit one made by a stencil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well both teams are wearing the Poppy. Does that mean FIFA are going to drop their stupid action against Ireland over their 1916 memorial if no action taken here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The poppy is probably the least offensive thing about Scotland's jersey. My eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

All this remembrance day stuff is just making me want to play battlefield 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The poppy is probably the least offensive thing about Scotland's jersey. My eyes!

Yeah, apparently the white stripe on their regular Blue Jersey clashes with the England Jersey.

:D

Should have been 80/1. Scotland are beyond terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Have Northern Ireland said anything yet ?
    Can't see them letting the Scots or Welsh outdo them in a who's more British contest

I would have a good guess and say it was them who mentioned the 1916-2016 emblem....:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It's commemorating people fighting in illegal wars and killing people in my country, I have an issue with wanting to commemorate that from my point of view but can understand why some British people want to commemorate these people.

The likes of Fine Gael's Neale Redmhomorating? I don't think so.

If the poppy was merely for those who died in WW1 and WW2 would many people have issues with it? I doubt I would.

That is the thing they expanded it to commemorating all British soldiers and all British wars. Which is the reason James McClean refused to wear it.

He was vilified by the British media for it.

But when players refuse/uncomfortable to wear a loan company logos for religious reasons like Papa Cisse, it is more accepted.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

They expanded it to include all British wars, but if you don't like it.. it's like you have no respect for WWI and WWII.
    Politics does my head in lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

"Honouring those who made the ultimate sacrifice, who alllowed us the freedom to be playing this game today"

That's pretty much what Martin Tyler said in his commentary at the start of the England Scotland match.

What a load of bull****e, it's not as if they didn't play football in Germany and automatically the sport would have never been played again if somehow they won either of the 2 world wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They're still wearing poppies on English TV today. What a ridiculous ott spectacle that was on Friday before the game between England and Scotland. They're trying way too hard with all that jingoistic nonsense. Poppyfest has become a cringefest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They're still wearing poppies on English TV today. What a ridiculous ott spectacle that was on Friday before the game between England and Scotland. They're trying way too hard with all that jingoistic nonsense. Poppyfest has become a cringefest.

Today is actually remembrance Sunday in Britain, so I suppose today of all days is the day to wear it if that's you're thing. It's the last 3 weeks of compulsion that gets on my tits.

it's embarrassing to be honest, but that's one of the ways they brainwash young lads to be 'heros' and bravely go to the likes of Afghanistan to fight for Blighty.

• Advertisement

Danny Mills speaks sense!

He says the FA are picking the wrong fight and the money spent fighting the matter and paying any fine would have been better spent by the FA making a donation to the British Legion.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37941626

Today is Remembrance Sunday.

Today is Remembrance Sunday.
    Why have they been wearing poppies for a month?

Practising for today...

eyerer wrote: »
    They expanded it to include all British wars, but if you don't like it.. it's like you have no respect for WWI and WWII.
    Politics does my head in lol.

If the British Government cared so much for their ex-servicemen and women then they wouldn't have to resort to raising money for required support services by selling poppies in the first place.

Why do you care? You're choosing to watch UK TV. No one is making you do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd be more interested in why it goes on for a month than deflection :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in why it goes on for a month than deflection :)

Because if they don't the poppy fascist will complain that they are not wearing a poppy

I will comment on it. Is that ok with you?

• Advertisement

So you can only watch TV if you agree with everything being said and done on it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So you can only watch TV if you agree with everything being said and done on it?

Probably not but dont get offended by things that the TV stations show particularly those things that are inevitable i.e poppies in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So when can we expect to hear what punishment is to be given to the Scottish and English FAs for defying FIFA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

greendom wrote: »
    So when can we expect to hear what punishment is to be given to the Scottish and English FAs for defying FIFA ?

have they defied FIFA?

FIFA need to decide yet if an offence has actually taken place. This will be on the basis of the report from their match official, which will then be reviewed by the disciplinary committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

have they defied FIFA?

FIFA need to decide yet if an offence has actually taken place. This will be on the basis of the report from their match official, which will then be reviewed by the disciplinary committee.

Not really if Ireland are being looked at after the English touted on them as FIFA have just shown that it can do what it wants without the need for a refs report

Not really if Ireland are being looked at after the English touted on them as FIFA have just shown that it can do what it wants without the need for a refs report

:D

is there a tar and feathering on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

have they defied FIFA?

wondering what the point of this thread is then. I thought they were told not to wear poppies and then they wore poppies. The Welsh and Northern Irish went along with this requirement, Scottish and English FA didn't. To my mind that constitutes defiance

greendom wrote: »
    wondering what the point of this thread is then. I thought they were told not to wear poppies and then they wore poppies. The Welsh and Northern Irish went along with this requirement, Scottish and English FA didn't. To my mind that constitutes defiance

They weren't told not to wear them, FIFA just stated they wouldn't make any exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Gareth-Southgate-England-561573.jpg

There's something sinister about the poppy on the armband and it's more noticeable when being worn by someone who's clearly wearing it for fear of being seen not wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I spent a couple of days in Belfast at the weekend, and decided to have a look around at just how prevalent the wearing of the poppy is, considering how much it's shoved down people's throats and how some people get terrible abuse for making the decision not to wear one.

I would say poppy wearing in Belfast for those 2 days was maybe 2 or 3% of people I passed. I was out on the Friday night socialising, and spent most of Saturday in the main shopping streets and centres, so it's a good straw poll.

It appears the vast majority of the population don't bother themselves too much about them.

godtabh wrote: »
    Probably not but dont get offended by things that the TV stations show particularly those things that are inevitable i.e poppies in November.

In the context of what was being said in the quoted post that I was referring to your post doesn't really make sense.

For the record I'd defend the right of anyone to wear a poppy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement