Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM should go back to school

Options
  • 03-11-2016 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

How do you get to 120 with 50 euro notes?

ktNlQrA.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Poncke wrote: »
    How do you get to 120 with 50 euro notes?

ktNlQrA.jpg
    Hi Poncke,

Is there anything we can help you with here? 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Can't you see what's wrong?

Can't you see what's wrong?
    Hi Poncke,

Have you had difficulty using one of our ATMs? 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

To be fair, the "maximum amount" message will be a standard message for that ATM at all times. 

It's obviously out of €20 notes so that message has come up on top. 

I don't see what the big deal is. 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

There's nothing wrong with that ATM, the MAXIMUM it can issue is 120 euro.

It only contains currently 50 euro notes.

Therefore the most you can get is 100 euro.

• Advertisement

I asked the question in my first post and included a photo

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Those are two different things. The maximum for that machine is not related to the denominations of currency available. 

[deleted]

You mean 50+50=120?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Common sense is obviously lost on some people.

OP, neither message is related to each other.

If you can't figure that out then maybe you should go back to school.

If it only has 50 notes it should say the maximum is 100 or 150. But don't let math get in the way of a good insult.

• Advertisement

I asked the question in my first post and included a photo
    Hi Poncke,

The photo is not displaying for us here and we've checked your post using another device. As mentioned above, the 'Maximum amount' message is a default message on these ATMs.

Thanks
    Tara 

If it only has 50 notes it should say the maximum is 100 or 150. But don't let math get in the way of a good insult.
    Don't let logic get in the way of a good rant OP ;-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

But the maximum the ATM can dispense is 120.

But the maximum the ATM can dispense is 120.
    Why? It's a GENERIC MESSAGE THAT CANNOT CHANGE!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The speedo on my 1.4 car goes up to 230kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Jesus guys keep your hats on. What's the story with someone calling someone a retard over something like this eh?

After all it's a perfectly good question. Not the most important thing ever but clearly illogical and obviously confusing or irritating to some.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It doesn't mean the maximum this machine can dispense at this time is €120. It means the maximum that can be dispensed by the machine is €120, at any time when the machine has all note denominations.

It's hardcoded text.

Is this your first time using an ATM, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I found it funny anyway, I dont think it was meant as a serious support question tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

listermint wrote: »
    I found it funny anyway, I dont think it was meant as a serious support question tbh
    lets hope not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

If the message read the maximum that can be dispensed is €100, I'm sure you would be on here saying you should have another €20 left in your account and where has it gone, bit of common sense need when you see these type of messages, we all did basic math in school I'm sure you can deduce for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

If it was meant as a serious support question and is indicative of the questions Customer Service get - they are WAY underpaid!!!! #MedalsAllRound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

If it was meant as a serious support question and is indicative of the questions Customer Service get - they are WAY underpaid!!!! #MedalsAllRound

Believe me this isn't a patch on things you get asked.

It's probably not a serious support question More a moan about how come that on a customer facing device for an institution as 'grand' as a bank they can't get their act together and have the messages on screen make sense.

Something I find is quite a valid comment. It wouldn't pass where I work.

As for the comment to the 'hardcoded' nature of that message....
    Well I work in IT for a big financial company and IMO having that message 'hardcoded' would indeed be something that may warrant the word 'retarded'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I think a more important question would be why the machines let you go through the whole process before telling you at the end that it has no twenties. This forces you to go through the entire system again.

Surely if it is out of twenties it should be staated at the beginning? The machines are slow enough without doing it twice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

FortySeven wrote: »
    I think a more important question would be why the machines let you go through the whole process before telling you at the end that it has no twenties. This forces you to go through the entire system again.

Surely if it is out of twenties it should be staated at the beginning? The machines are slow enough without doing it twice.
    The software on the ATM cannot perform a count on the cash cassettes on the ATM so can't check them prior to the transaction.
    It can only request cash from the cassettes once the transaction has been approved, and only at that point it can start to interact with the cassettes.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The software on the ATM cannot perform a count on the cash cassettes on the ATM so can't check them prior to the transaction.
    It can only request cash from the cassettes once the transaction has been approved, and only at that point it can start to interact with the cassettes.

Well but surely if the cassette denied 20s a minute ago It's safe to say it will be out of 20s for future transactions until replenished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MarkR wrote: »
    Those are two different things. The maximum for that machine is not related to the denominations of currency available. 

Software should be of higher quality

It's basic error code handling. If your software knows it can only give 50's out, it should be able to check the hardcoded maximum value and divide 50 into it and see the outcome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well but surely if the cassette denied 20s a minute ago It's safe to say it will be out of 20s for future transactions until replenished.
    I see what you are saying. But if you want to change the hardware/software/middleware to count cash before every transaction then you'll be rendering an ATM useless as your adding more time the time at the ATM.
    There are probably security implications as well.

• Advertisement

I see what you are saying. But if you want to change the hardware/software/middleware to count cash before every transaction then you'll be rendering an ATM useless as your adding more time the time at the ATM.
    There are probably security implications as well.

Not at all.

The software knows there is only 50 notes left so hard part done, a part of that method it can check the max value and only display it if it divides without a remainer.

Advertisement