Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TKMAXX returns policy

Options
  • 03-11-2016 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

On the 15th of October, I bought a pair of shoes in Tkmaxx and last night the heel snapped clean off. They are only 19 days old and I didn't buy them all that cheap either. My issue is that I haven't got the receipt and paid with cash. Would they even listen to me if I attempted to get any redress? I do remember the date and near exact time of purchase as well as notes I paid with and what I was wearing that day (CCTV footage as proof?) does anyone have any experience with this? Am I entitled to anything without proof of purchase?

(apologies if incorrect thread I'm a newbie here)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I can't see them going through cctv footage. Id say at best store credit

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Have you any of the TK Maxx stickers or tags that would help to prove that you bought them there? Given that they sell branded goods at reduced prices I can see them insisting on some evidence that you purchased them there.
    And to answer your question, the retailer is entitled to ask for proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

No it's up to you to prove you bought them there. You can't expect them to go through CCTV to look for you because you didn't keep your receipt. However if you remember what time it was and which till they might be nice enough to reprint the receipt for you (though I'm not sure if their system allows them to) but they don't have to do anything so be very very nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Call in, explain very politely the issue and they should help.

Remember, as you have no proof of purchase they do not have to do anything, so a pleasant approach and accepting that they don't have to do anything will probably see a good outcome.

Remember, shops will always go above and beyond for good customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was in the Cork store recently and a woman was returning children's shoes due to them being the wrong size. The receipt stated a price that the lady behind the counter thought was wrong and that the customer must have mixed up. She offered to go through the cctv so the customer would get the correct (larger refund). As long as they have the cctv and you are willing to wait a while then there should be no hassle. Their customer service is quite good in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

My mother bought a roasting tin in TKMaxx in Clonmel used it once washed and dried it to find the non-stick coating blistering and peerling from 2 corners.
    Brought it back ( we don't live in Clonmel) at least 8 weeks s later, no receipt no wrapping nothing.
    No questions asked no hesitation the cashier asked her how much it was and refunded her without blinking
    Excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

infogiver wrote: »
    My mother bought a roasting tin in TKMaxx in Clonmel used it once washed and dried it to find the non-stick coating blistering and peerling from 2 corners.
    Brought it back ( we don't live in Clonmel) at least 8 weeks s later, no receipt no wrapping nothing.
    No questions asked no hesitation the cashier asked her how much it was and refunded her without blinking
    Excellent service
    That's not good customer service, that's extremely poor returns procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ssmith6287 wrote:

That's fecken great customer service, returns procedure is the sellers problem. Great business to deal with, I've returned stuff with no issues, always had receipts etc though. Very successful business, must be doing something right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

ssmith6287 wrote: »

How do you think it should have been handled? Under the Sale of Goods Act the item was not fit for purpose. She had paid in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That is nothing to do with the customer whatsoever and you have no idea how the sales assistant handled the return within their system. It is undoubtedly good customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

infogiver wrote: »
    How do you think it should have been handled? Under the Sale of Goods Act the item was not fit for purpose. She had paid in cash.

The issue is surely without the proof of purchase?
    You can't just walk into a store and demand they refund/credit you something without proving it was bought there (own brands excluded obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's both good customer service AND appalling returns procedure, if no proof of purchase existed.

Advertisement