Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The White House, Baldoyle

Options
  • 03-11-2016 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what this place is like? Just moved to the area and its not exactly awash with pubs. It looks nice but anyone Ive mentioned it to says to stay away, its dog rough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

i wouldn't say its rough at all, maybe it was when it was graingers , its really focused on food now and is decent for that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Only one way to find out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As Graingers it was a bit rough, but its a really lovely pub now.

They're trying to shed the reputation which the old Graingers had, and doing a good job of it.. Put it this way, I'm in the area and drank in Graingers once in twenty years but TWH is my local now.

My recommendation is to try the lounge, esp if you're hungry (but the kitchen closes at nine) or cold ~ there's usually a good fire going in the lounge making it very comfortable.

If you sit at the bar the staff are warm and friendly, the owners are chatty.

Worth a visit.

There's a nice chipper next door too, and while I'm on the subject if you like chowder then you have to try the pubs!!.. Its spectacular!.

Now if you want a sh*thole then go down the road to the Racecourse Inn. We're talking rough now!.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

havent been in the racecourse in years but was a kip last time i was there n looks like the kinda place to go now if you want trouble from some skanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have been there once, it's nice but quiet. Not the type of pub young people would hang out, it's more of a 30+ age group.

If your in your 20's howth, malahide or town would be more lively.

• Advertisement

I have been there once, it's nice but quiet. Not the type of pub young people would hang out, it's more of a 30+ age group.

If your in your 20's howth, malahide or town would be more lively.

You know all that from one visit?... Because you're more or less right :P

Its not a young crowd (thankfully), its not lively midweek at least ~ I work every weekend so I've no idea how the weekends are, but I think there's live music there on Sundays.

I really like the lounge (like I said earlier), its really comfy and warm from the fire. The bar food is good, although they've recently changed their menu and the chowder is to die for.

I drink Erdinger or Hop House 13 when I'm there, I think its €5:20 for a bottle of Erdinger and €5:15 for the Hophouse 13 but I may be wrong on the Hop House.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

neris wrote: »
    havent been in the racecourse in years but was a kip last time i was there n looks like the kinda place to go now if you want trouble from some skanger

I dunno if its gotten more upmarket in the last while but the racer is doing some nice food and the place does be packed on a saturday with Erin Elvis and the likes :pac:

The food in the Whitehouse seems to be very expensive but their cheese board looks amazing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I dunno if its gotten more upmarket in the last while but the racer is doing some nice food and the place does be packed on a saturday with Erin Elvis and the likes :pac:

The food in the Whitehouse seems to be very expensive but their cheese board looks amazing. :p

the little coffee shop thyve put in is nice but i duno if a pub suddenly becomes upmarket coz it sells food.

neris wrote: »
    the little coffee shop thyve put in is nice but i duno if a pub suddenly becomes upmarket coz it sells food.

Depends on how good it is and what kinda customers they get in with it. Donaghmede Inn has gone downhill since they stopped serving food all them years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Racecourse and the White house both lovely pubs , some outrageous comments here

• Advertisement

Racecourse and the White house both lovely pubs , some outrageous comments here

Racecourse is rough.

Racecourse is rough.

.....As a bears arse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Just as a matter of interest what pubs in the vicinity of Baldoyle would you consider not rough? . Imo they both do decent enough food although as one poster mentioned the whitehouse is a tad expensive for what's on offer , there's barely anyone ever in the lounge in the racecourse during the week so you basically have the place to yourself and has been decorated to a decent finish but always busy at the weekends with music etc. , the bar not so much but then again its for the locals and the bookies is literally 5 steps from the side door.
    Graingers was certainly getting run down before becoming the whitehouse and imo it's been nicely freshened up etc.. I'm forever amazed with people saying this pub is this and that, I've had more trouble in so called ''nice pubs'' in ''nice areas'' than I've ever had in any others.
    At the end of the day they're called public houses for a reason and it'll always come down to how they're managed from the top down

Baldoyle isn't a rough area in general. But I wouldn't drink in the pubs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Baldoyle isn't a rough area in general. But I wouldn't drink in the pubs there.
    Why?

Why?

There dead a lot of the time. No fun there, especially when Howth is up the road and always buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

But you said in a previous post the racecourse is rough , imo it's not at all , now your saying it's dead and howth is better . Personally I wouldn't be bothered travelling to howth for a drink supposedly for the better atmosphere, craic whatever and this is from someone that lived there for a time.
    I like nothing better than reading the paper with a few pints, couldn't care less if I was the only person in the place but to come on and say the pubs are rough is wrong imo

I have lived in Baldoyle for 20 years. I know the area pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

There dead a lot of the time. No fun there, especially when Howth is up the road and always buzzing.

Fair enough. I've just moved from Howth to Sutton and was never blown away by the pubs in Howth. The Bloody Stream is nice but a bit cramped. Never really went to Wrights - it always looked packed with people looking for food. Always liked the Harbour Bar but it closed for a while, and McNeills is good too, if a bit far up the hill. The Abbey is more of a restaurant than a bar I think.

The Elphin is the closest to me now, and it seems a bit dead, but Ill have to do some more research before I make up my mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Seriously, WTF? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Racecourse or the White House.

I live in the area and any time I have been in either pubs the staff have been welcoming, the beer good and when any strangers talked to me it was some friendly conversation.

Have the people saying they're rough even had a few pints there and actually had a conversation with any of the other punters? Hollister11 might've lived in the area 20 years, I doubt he/she's been old enough to drink in pubs for very long.

Even the most spit-on-the floor locals are grand. Pubs don't stay in business long if their regulars keep scaring off new punters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I like the Whitehouse for the food and atmosphere now that they've kind of remodelled it as a gastropub. Unfortunately they just have bog standard Diageo/Heineken beer so I wouldn't drink there.

maximum12 wrote: »
    I like the Whitehouse for the food and atmosphere now that they've kind of remodelled it as a gastropub. Unfortunately they just have bog standard Diageo/Heineken beer so I wouldn't drink there.

That's most of the pubs around the whole area tbh. Only exceptions I can think of are the Cock and Bull or the Harbour Bar (Cock Tavern) in Howth. Donaghmede Inn does a savage pint of Budweiser, Guinness is pretty good to ;)

Slightly OT. Was in the Donaghmede Inn with a friend for a few Thursday drinks a few weeks ago. Few small groups of mostly men watching football. Lads sitting at the bar reading the paper sipping pints. Relaxed atmosphere, everybody minding their own business.

Not much of a crafty selection, while i'd prefer it it's not a dealbreaker. Lovely pint of stout. Friendly barstaff. Ticks a lot of boxes.

(would not be ticking the organise a babysitter and bring my wife box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

That's most of the pubs around the whole area tbh. Only exceptions I can think of are the Cock and Bull or the Harbour Bar (Cock Tavern) in Howth. Donaghmede Inn does a savage pint of Budweiser, Guinness is pretty good to ;)

All the pubs in Malahide have a bit of choice.

Slightly OT. Was in the Donaghmede Inn with a friend for a few Thursday drinks a few weeks ago. Few small groups of mostly men watching football. Lads sitting at the bar reading the paper sipping pints. Relaxed atmosphere, everybody minding their own business.

Not much of a crafty selection, while i'd prefer it it's not a dealbreaker. Lovely pint of stout. Friendly barstaff. Ticks a lot of boxes.

(would not be ticking the organise a babysitter and bring my wife box)

Ah yeah it is what it is for the area. The only think that really annoys me is the prices. 5.15 for a pint of beer is way over the top :mad:. The Racecourse doesn't charge that and most places in Howth are only a fiver. Suppose it because it's the only show in town.

Ah yeah it is what it is for the area. The only think that really annoys me is the prices. 5.15 for a pint of beer is way over the top :mad:. The Racecourse doesn't charge that and most places in Howth are only a fiver. Suppose it because it's the only show in town.

I didn't notice the price - was just happy to get out of the house for a while. I don't get out much ;)

maximum12 wrote: »
    All the pubs in Malahide have a bit of choice.

Yeah but the only places that do seem to have a choice would be in a village like Raheny, Malahide etc....

The more stand alone pubs like the Donaghmede Inn, Racecourse, Madigans Kilbarrack, The Fox Hound in Greendale, Bayside Inn are all the same format. Shopping centre, bookies, pub and some kinda fast food outlet. They seem to be the only show in town and have the mentality that if its not broke don't fix it.

I didn't notice the price - was just happy to get out of the house for a while. I don't get out much ;)

And the best you could manage was the Donaghmede Inn? You poor poor man :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

No fun there, especially when Howth is up the road and always buzzing.

Not everybody wants to take pills in a pub though.

• Advertisement

Not everybody wants to take pills in a pub though.

Never mentioned pills.

Advertisement