Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get curls to last?

Options
  • 03-11-2016 10:20am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have thick, slightly wavy waist length hair. I have never been able to get curls to last using a curling iron so usually get a curly blow dry and the curls will last until I wash. I bought heated rollers hoping for a similar result thinking the process is similar, apply heat and let the hair cool down while in the roller.

They do a great job of curling my hair but they fall out completely within an hour. The last time I washed my hair without conditioner, used a detangling spray and curling mousse, blow dried my hair with a big round brush, put in the rollers, allowed to cool for two hours, added a light spray of hairspray and took them out, curls were amazing but my hair was straight within an hour. I've also tried it with hair unwashed for two days etc. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

I read this link How to make curls last I have pin straight short hair and I use a Salon Series styling iron to curl my hair. I use Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil leave in treatment applied to damp hair, then blow dry hair before heat styling. I hope this helps you - my curls last around 3-4 days. If it is humid 3 but if it is not humid 4 days but by the 4th day the curls are more all curled under and not individual curls. If I want more curls then I use the knot method - read curl w/o heat - knots - this method is the best for my hair but I'm lazy so I normally blow dry then curl with the styling iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

My hair is very similar to yours OP and this is the only thing I have ever found to give me curls/waves that last.

http://www.did.ie/remington-silk-waving-wand-ci96z1-prd

I've tried various other tongs, tools and nothing works like this does, its amazing.

There is a curling wand with the same range, I've never used it, two people I know have and have had no luck with it and prefer the waving wand also.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Remington-CI96W1-Silk-Curling-Wand_1339462/

I make sure to spritz dry shampoo throughout my hair to give it texture because if its anyway soft/silky, curls/waves won't hold at all, so I needs texture and then when I curl each section I hold it in place and spray hairspray on it, then when its cool I gently let it down and let it hang lose, and leave it that way until my whole head is done.

If I am going out and want curls, I do my hair about 2-3 hours so that the curls have time to drop and look a bit more natural (well, as natural as they can look).

If I know I will be curling my hair, I won't use conditioner when washing as that makes it silky, so I just use shampoo. I also don't curl my hair the day I wash it, I wait and do it on the second day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Thanks for the tips girls. I think I'll have to give the wand a shot cos quite a few people have said it's the best for getting curls to last.

Advertisement