Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salted caramel chocolate tart

Options
  • 03-11-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Not a baker at all, actually usually a disaster but I want to try this next week and if it turns out ok, do it for our christmas dessert.

Can anyone tell me how far in advance I could do the base and if I finish it on Christmas eve would it be ok next day, or best eaten fresh?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yum! Are you making little ones or one big one? I've only made small ones before, but I find they freeze very well after blind baking because you can layer them in a Tupperware to prevent accidental cracking. It also that shortens the whole process when you have the tart base ready.

It would definitely keep well for a day or two I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ElliesBoxes

Looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I made it over yesterday and today and it was a disaster tbh. Will be back to my original plan to buy a christmas dessert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh no! Did it at least taste good? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What went wrong? It looks lovely but the caramel bit would be difficult to judge without a thermometer I'd've thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

IT was really bad. The pastry was dry and brittle, the caramel is gritty and solid and not dark enough, no depth of flavour at all, too sweet and too much salt (my fault because I put a tiny bit more than specified) and the chocolate ganache solidified in the fridge. Not sure where I went wrong, but I went very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd say try again with a more specific, step by step recipe. Donal Skehan does one similar, although with a regular shortcrust pastry case - you could easily sub in a chocolate pastry if you wanted of course.
    http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/salted-caramel-chocolate-tart/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I agree with dee_mc, you should try again with a more reliable recipe :)

Advertisement