Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Limerick?

• 03-11-2016 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I read some of the posts about this same topic, but most are 3-4 years old now, so I'm hoping to get more recent views/opinions about the areas considered the best to live and the ones to avoid.

My understanding so far is that Castletroy has some of the best areas and some houses on south circular look new-ish.

Also looking for suggestions about areas with access to good creche(s), primary school and access to local shops/supermarket.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Corbally, although virtually no new build there for 4-5 yrs. good schools, creche at grove island is excellent, walking distance of town, also good areas to walk/cycle by river and sport facilities .
    only neg is traffic in a.m, esp over athlunkard bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Depends on how much you want to pay and other factors.

If your work is in the city centre, then it makes sense to live there. There's plenty of family-oriented areas within walking distance. Personally, I wouldn't choose to live somewhere where I was car dependent or had to spend any length of time commuting. I want to spend as little time in a car as possible, so I'd struggle to justify living in places like Castletroy and Dooradoyle.

With that in mind, the best places in or near the city centre are mostly north of the river, i.e. North Circular Road (most expensive), O'Callaghan Strand, Clancy Strand, Ennis Road, Clareview, Mayorstone, Shelbourne Road, Farranshone. All are lovely areas to live and very near schools, clubs and probably any amenities you'll want.

Other places near the city centre would be South Circular Road, Ballinacurra, Corbally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Thank you very much everyone. I had a look at the website daft.ie and in those areas, the houses available to rent look quite old. Would there be areas where construction is more recent?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not alot of recent residential building in Limerick since the 2008 crash. Also some developments built during the Celtic Tiger area can be of poor quality.

Are you looking to rent an apartment, a house or happy with just renting a room? You might also want to consider living not too far from where you are working if you don't have a car as public transport is not great and can be unreliable.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not alot of recent residential building in Limerick since the 2008 crash. Also some developments built during the Celtic Tiger area can be of poor quality.

Are you looking to rent an apartment, a house or happy with just renting a room? You might also want to consider living not too far from where you are working if you don't have a car as public transport is not great and can be unreliable.

Thank you for the above. I'm currently living in Dublin and only know Limerick from visiting two years ago. I am looking to rent a 3 bed house or apartment (quite rare) and I have a car. Work will be in Castletroy area but I agree with comments made here, regarding being closer to city centre, it will be handier and I assume there is more things to see and do.

In terms of how much I'm looking to spend on a rent, any place is cheaper than Dublin, nontheless moving to Limerick should mean a saving so anything above €1k would be too high. I'm probably being too picky but ideally I would find a house between 800-1000€, recently renovated or not too old, close to a good creche, primary school and amenities. I assume that is what most of people are looking for.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

outlooks wrote: »
    Thank you for the above. I'm currently living in Dublin and only know Limerick from visiting two years ago. I am looking to rent a 3 bed house or apartment (quite rare) and I have a car. Work will be in Castletroy area but I agree with comments made here, regarding being closer to city centre, it will be handier and I assume there is more things to see and do.

In terms of how much I'm looking to spend on a rent, any place is cheaper than Dublin, nontheless moving to Limerick should mean a saving so anything above €1k would be too high. I'm probably being too picky but ideally I would find a house between 800-1000€, recently renovated or not too old, close to a good creche, primary school and amenities. I assume that is what most of people are looking for.

Thanks again

You'll do well to get a decent selection of places at that price. What size are you looking for? You won't get anything decent for less than 1k in Castletroy anyway. You'd get some newly renovated townhouses/apartments in town for between 800 and 1000 but you need to get lucky as they rental market is dismal here at the moment. If you go over to Dooradoyle you'll pick up decent properties for that price but you're at the other side of the city.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    You'll do well to get a decent selection of places at that price. What size are you looking for? You won't get anything decent for less than 1k in Castletroy anyway. You'd get some newly renovated townhouses/apartments in town for between 800 and 1000 but you need to get lucky as they rental market is dismal here at the moment. If you go over to Dooradoyle you'll pick up decent properties for that price but you're at the other side of the city.

Thank you very much for your help. Looking for a 3 bed minimum. So far I could not find anything "decent", in my opinion, for this price and pictures on daft don't reflect reality either which makes it harder.

Thank you very much for your help. Looking for a 3 bed minimum. So far I could not find anything "decent", in my opinion, for this price and pictures on daft don't reflect reality either which makes it harder.

Yeah you're in a bit of a sticky situation. You really need to be glued to Daft waiting for appropriate stuff to go up and getting on it immediately to try and lock it down. Not easy! If it's a three bed minimum, you might find some townhouses in town which would be a bit cheaper than your average 3 bed semi d in Castletroy. You'd get a 3 bed in Dooradoyle for under 1k. There are some 3 bed duplexes in Castletroy that are a bit cheaper than a house but again, you need to be lucky enough for one to come up at the right time.

Best of luck with it!

Yeah you're in a bit of a sticky situation. You really need to be glued to Daft waiting for appropriate stuff to go up and getting on it immediately to try and lock it down. Not easy! If it's a three bed minimum, you might find some townhouses in town which would be a bit cheaper than your average 3 bed semi d in Castletroy. You'd get a 3 bed in Dooradoyle for under 1k. There are some 3 bed duplexes in Castletroy that are a bit cheaper than a house but again, you need to be lucky enough for one to come up at the right time.

Best of luck with it!

You are very good and I appreciate your suggestions. I've setup a few alerts now. I'm now also looking on the route to Shannon. Overall The houses are not so old and the price is within the budget. Although a driving distance away that may work out as another option.

Thanks again.

I just had a look on Daft there and there are 9 properties with 3 beds for 1,000 or less in Dooradoyle, plenty of selection there. Dooradoyle is good if you're working in Castletroy because it's only 5 minutes away once you get on the motorway. Definitely a better choice than going out towards Shannon. It's a pretty nice suburb with everything you want but only 5 minutes from the city at the same time.

• Advertisement

I just had a look on Daft there and there are 9 properties with 3 beds for 1,000 or less in Dooradoyle, plenty of selection there. Dooradoyle is good if you're working in Castletroy because it's only 5 minutes away once you get on the motorway. Definitely a better choice than going out towards Shannon. It's a pretty nice suburb with everything you want but only 5 minutes from the city at the same time.

I read some old forums and reviews of the area weren't great hence a bit hesitating but I will have a look now. Do you have an idea of creche/primary school in the area?Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I read some old forums and reviews of the area weren't great hence a bit hesitating but I will have a look now. Do you have an idea of creche/primary school in the area?Thank you.

Dooradoyle is much nicer than Castletroy in my opinion, I walk my dog here and find is much less built up than Castletroy, no rough areas and no college students.

Mungret, St Paul's primary school nearby.

Motorway right by with access to N18 and M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lolodow

There's 4 primary schools in the dooradoyle area. The two mentioned above and also a Gaelscoil and Educate together. There's loads of crèches and a newly built playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Dooradoyle is good if you're working in Castletroy because it's only 5 minutes away once you get on the motorway. .
    :-) 5 mins.. I travel that road every day and it backs up onto the motorway every morning, it can take 15 mins just to get from the motorway exit to UL.

Anyway it is still not Dublin traffic.

Both Dooradoyle and Castletroy are good options... check out Annacotty as well though.

3 bed duplex here for 1000 a month

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/annacotty/riverfront-annacotty-limerick-1691428/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

VikingG wrote: »
    :-) 5 mins.. I travel that road every day and it backs up onto the motorway every morning, it can take 15 mins just to get from the motorway exit to UL.

Anyway it is still not Dublin traffic.

Both Dooradoyle and Castletroy are good options... check out Annacotty as well though.

3 bed duplex here for 1000 a month

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-rent/annacotty/riverfront-annacotty-limerick-1691428/

5 minutes if you are possibly going at 200km/hr - it takes roughly 15-20 minutes.

Mc Love wrote: »
    5 minutes if you are possibly going at 200km/hr - it takes roughly 15-20 minutes.

I travel the road pretty much every day, it's 5 minutes from the Dooradoyle exit to the Ballysimon roundabout, if you're going at the speed limit.

Advertisement