Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a monitor for my needs!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You said you have second monitor sideways didn't you? How are they similar?? That's a widescreen in the image I'm trying to gauge how a sideways monitor will look with a 32".

Actually what I posted was
    I am using two monitors ... main one is a widescreen 32" and a side monitor of 21.5".

I am unsure what you mean by a 'sideways' monitor.

I have two monitors
    the main one is widescreen 2560 x 1080
    the smaller one to the side is 1680 x 1080

I don't rotate either.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.
    Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Actually what I posted was

I am unsure what you mean by a 'sideways' monitor.

I have two monitors
    the main one is widescreen 2560 x 1080
    the smaller one to the side is 1680 x 1080

I don't rotate either.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.
    Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. ;)

Alright my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Alright lads - I took a bit of gamble:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LGE29SK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=22XKOJ85BA9VX&coliid=I3TNN7C159B936

I got a warehouse deal on this guy - reduced to £299 with a further £50 discount that they are running for Black Friday. The Irish VAT brought it back up a small bit from the £249 but I still got it approx. €100 cheaper than the advertised rate.

I know it's a bit of gamble with the Amazon Warehouse nature of it but they still offer a 30-day money back option and due to the Christmas that is extended until 31st of January. So I have the guts of 2 months to find any flaws!

It came this morning lads.

One dead pixel - not a scratch otherwise. Very happy!

PS: Can't see any backlight bleed worth talking about but I'll check later in the dark.

The only downside is my old monitor looks like a piece of crap now when I pull a window over to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's pretty awesome. Whereabouts is the dead pixel? Try one of those dead pixel fixer programs to see if it can't be revived?

:( Unfortunately the tale has turned sour :(

The screen had been working well all morning and I opened up Lightroom to look at some photos. One of the photos was of a field and predominantly green and there was a strange flashing horizontal line moving about the screen. So I thought it might be a dodgy HDMI cable and I switched to a DisplayPort cable instead - nothing at all appeared on screen. Then I tried a DVI cable and I just got random flashing lines and colours but no picture at all.

So now I'm back with the HDMI cable and as I type this the screen is perfect again but I'd imagine the horizontal lines are not far away.

I'm about to contact amazon support now :(:(

No problem getting a refund - but no offer of a replacement forthcoming.

Have to organise delivery myself but they will repay me the cost.

Really disappointed - it is such a lovely screen - I'm using it right now without a bother but the lack of ports and the random lines (at times) are too much and probably a risk for the future too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

No problem getting a refund - but no offer of a replacement forthcoming.

Have to organise delivery myself but they will repay me the cost.

Really disappointed - it is such a lovely screen - I'm using it right now without a bother but the lack of ports and the random lines (at times) are too much and probably a risk for the future too.

You'll probably get a better deal in the coming week and then there is Cyber Monday too take it as an omen and return.

Maybe - but I got it for about €90 cheaper than the cost of a new one. The deals I've seen so far for "Black Friday" have been pretty poor.

Thanks for chin up comment!

• Advertisement

Problem confirmed anyway - just hooked it up to a completely different computer and have the same issues. I'll pack it up over the weekend.

I'm sure I'll be a fine sight heading to the post office on Monday with a 27inch monitor under my elbow!

Dunno if this will help, but there is someone on adverts selling that monitor at the moment.
    http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i5-gaming-pc-gtx-970-asus-27-pb278q/11781663

Thanks for that Xenoronin.

Haven't decided what I'll do yet (except sob sadly when I have to look at a blurry old 1680x1050 on Monday morning!)

I might consider splashing the cash to buy it new. Whatever I do I'll hold for a week until cyber Monday.

Well ....

Decide in haste and repent at leisure ....

So I did a bit of googling about the monitor and it appears it's a little "sensitive" when it comes to displayport. In some cases the monitor needs to be powered up before the computer for it to be successful ... so I gave it a go and lo and behold it starting working with the display port!

Still though ... the DVI port is boll0cksed ....

But I started thinking to myself what if the same was true for that. Did the whole off-on again thing again but it didn't make the DVI port work. I still had a niggling feeling though ....

And then I discovered (ahem) there's f***in different types of DVI lead!!!!! I sheepishly swapped the lead for a dual link one and although it still didn't work once I did the off again on again trick it sprang into life.

So now the only problem I'm left with is the little horizontal lines that appeared a few times earlier today - always in HDMI mode. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe that could be a lead problem after all. I'm going to use it for a week or so and try a few different cables and cable types to see what happens!

Things might be OK yet! I really hope so. However the call to Amazon telling them I was a bit hasty requesting a return will be a little uncomfortable. I'll make it though if all turns out well.

I'll keep the thread updated in case anyone is interested!

I don't know if anyone is interested but after using the monitor for a while and swapping leads, different programs etc. I have determined that the only problem seems to have been a faulty HDMI cable (+ some graphics driver issues with Microsoft Edge).

So I rang Amazon yesterday to tell them I was keeping the monitor and they gave me a £10 discount to buy myself a new HDMI lead.

So in the end I paid £246.68 for the monitor. Box was opened but everything inside was spotless. 1 dead pixel I think - although I haven't been able to find him for a few days now. Very little backlight bleed. Dodgy HDMI but other cables seem ok.

I think I'm going to count this one as a win in the end!

Nice to hear! Dead pixels can actually be resurrected in some instances so you might have just gotten lucky :D

Advertisement