Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of refurbishing period house in Dublin

Options
  • 03-11-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

We are tentatively considering purchasing a period house in Dublin. We have not yet done much about it but from a very quick inspection, the roof needs to be replaced, the pediment on the front elevation needs to be repaired, the steps need to be sealed to stop water ingress in under and the existing windows need to be refurbished.
    I am aware of the cost of the window refurbishment, as well as planning rules, etc.
    I will get a builder out to price at some point, but I am wondering if anybody has any idea as to how much it would cost to replace the roof (removing existing asbestos slates also) which has a valley in it.
    The pediment looks to be in reasonable condition, probably requires patching and a bit of plaster work, etc.
    We would also probably need to extend an existing bathroom, but it would be as simple as removing a small roof (lean-to sort of job), knocking down 1 wall, extending the 2 existing walls and building 1 new wall supported on a new steel beam and re-building roof.
    Existing front steps would also need to be sealed, they are causing damp issues in the room below it.

Anybody any idea roughly how much we are looking at for these works? Ball-park figures would be sufficient. Just want to know if the cost of doing these works properly would push us beyond our means. We are not loaded by any means so we need to be careful on this front!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

We have priced a small kitchen extension - this would involve demolition. We are getting prices back of approx €80,000.
    We got the roof fully replaced about 20 years ago - no asbestos to deal with. That was €10,00. We re-used some existing slates but had to get new ones as well. If the house you are looking at is listed then the costs will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Hi,

We are tentatively considering purchasing a period house in Dublin. We have not yet done much about it but from a very quick inspection, the roof needs to be replaced, the pediment on the front elevation needs to be repaired, the steps need to be sealed to stop water ingress in under and the existing windows need to be refurbished.
    I am aware of the cost of the window refurbishment, as well as planning rules, etc.
    I will get a builder out to price at some point, but I am wondering if anybody has any idea as to how much it would cost to replace the roof (removing existing asbestos slates also) which has a valley in it.
    The pediment looks to be in reasonable condition, probably requires patching and a bit of plaster work, etc.
    We would also probably need to extend an existing bathroom, but it would be as simple as removing a small roof (lean-to sort of job), knocking down 1 wall, extending the 2 existing walls and building 1 new wall supported on a new steel beam and re-building roof.
    Existing front steps would also need to be sealed, they are causing damp issues in the room below it.

Anybody any idea roughly how much we are looking at for these works? Ball-park figures would be sufficient. Just want to know if the cost of doing these works properly would push us beyond our means. We are not loaded by any means so we need to be careful on this front!

Thanks.

Having worked on many listed/period properties over the years the amount can vary widely from house to house. It very much depends on if there are any protections on items and the quality of the original build. The more you open/mess with these types of buildings the more you will need to do from a structure perspective. I have yet to see you that doesn't turn into an element of a money pit.

The other issue is cost of materials you may have to use like insulation been breathable as opposed to the standard kingsman types. Cost can be 5/6 times more. Plasters may need to be lime as opposed to gypsum based again multiple cost differences. Mech and Elec will need a complete rewire as you will struggle to find someone to sign off.

The asbesto tiles will depend on the grade of asbestos/and weather its breaking up and the main cost is the disposal. Dampness will depend on extents and there are many different treatments available.

I have been on period properties which have cost anything from €500k to €800k to fully refurbish but its all down to the quality and standard you aim for.

Advertisement