Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tight Groins & Hips

• 03-11-2016 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi All,

So basically the GAA finished up a few weeks ago. I noticed in the last few weeks that my groins were unusually tight - if i even tried foam rolling them the pain would be unreal :confused:

I was lot more driving and computer work around the same time with my job so naturally I was doing a lot of sitting down a lot. I would try to some stretching most days etc but my groins would really tight along with my hips.

I want to get back active over the winter but want to sort this first. What are the best mobility stretches etc to ease the tightness?

Would yoga or Pilates be a good place to start?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

From my own experience of weak and tight groins I found sitting in the bottom of the squat position (with no weight) for a 3-5 min period once or twice a day really helped me and now I have no problems.

It was something they did a lot at crossfit to warm up when I was going.

Might sound easy but its not. Move around in the bottom aswel, i.e lean to different sides etc.

This may sound weird but it helped me immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I did similar to Darrenon91. From the same position, put your elbows against the insides of your knees and push your knees out until your hands are fistbumping each other, and hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭biffo2014

Tried it last night and you are right, its not easy!

Gonna try it every morning and evening and see how I get on.

Does this free up tight hips or what stretch could I use for that?

Ya I still struggle past three minutes. Some lads I know can sit in the position for five mins with ease.

I find it frees up hips and groins for me.

If its not helping your hips google the couch stretch. Another painful one but very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

biffo2014 wrote: »
    Tried it last night and you are right, its not easy!

Gonna try it every morning and evening and see how I get on.

Does this free up tight hips or what stretch could I use for that?
    stretch like this

sorry for the poor quality, must really review as its years old now

do these also as they help to work on the glutes and hips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Recently moved to NZ and I've had awful trouble with my mobility and pain in numerous muscles and joints, mainly shoulders and SI joint. By product of poor posture, weight lifting and no mobility work for years.
    I've started a course of Hellerwork similar to ROLFing, it's structural integration basically. The guy who recommended it was suffering with his groin and hips and has made massive strides.
    It's not big in Ireland but it's there and it's so effective. I've gained 3-4 inches in hamstring flexibility in the last 3 weeks along with reduced pain and increased mobility elsewhere. I couldn't recommend it more. Far more manipulation than physiotherapy and sessions are 90 mins+. It's worth checking out

brady23 wrote: »
    Recently moved to NZ and I've had awful trouble with my mobility and pain in numerous muscles and joints, mainly shoulders and SI joint. By product of poor posture, weight lifting and no mobility work for years.
    I've started a course of Hellerwork similar to ROLFing, it's structural integration basically. The guy who recommended it was suffering with his groin and hips and has made massive strides.
    It's not big in Ireland but it's there and it's so effective. I've gained 3-4 inches in hamstring flexibility in the last 3 weeks along with reduced pain and increased mobility elsewhere. I couldn't recommend it more. Far more manipulation than physiotherapy and sessions are 90 mins+. It's worth checking out

Any chance of a link?

Transform wrote: »
    stretch like this

sorry for the poor quality, must really review as its years old now

do these also as they help to work on the glutes and hips

Was actually following a few of your videos last week on regards hips/glutes been tight. Starting to feel the difference already even after a week of different mobility exercises.

I was considering starting crossfit as I have seen a few fellow GAA Players combine it this year and has improve their game. Would it be best of waiting till I get my mobility sorted before getting into a crossfit gym?

Was actually following a few of your videos last week on regards hips/glutes been tight. Starting to feel the difference already even after a week of different mobility exercises.

I was considering starting crossfit as I have seen a few fellow GAA Players combine it this year and has improve their game. Would it be best of waiting till I get my mobility sorted before getting into a crossfit gym?

Personally crossfit helped me a lot and if it weren't for the expense of it id still be doing it. They focus a lot on mobility in there and you will have access to a range or equipment that will help like foam rollers, lacrosse balls and bands.

you could go in 20 mins early for class and get your mobility work done if you thought what was being done in the classes not enough. but defo if you have the time and money over the winter to do it then I would. you will thank yourself for it in pre season.

thats great and where do you live or work and might be able to recommend a place to go

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    thats great and where do you live or work and might be able to recommend a place to go

From Offaly but my work would be based mostly around the midlands to south Leinster area.

Is it possible to do crossfit at home? I have a lot of gym equipment and would be a good excuse to put them to full use?

From Offaly but my work would be based mostly around the midlands to south Leinster area.

Is it possible to do crossfit at home? I have a lot of gym equipment and would be a good excuse to put them to full use?
    yup you can do it from home easy enough you just need to put a structure on it, will DM you more details

have been menaing to do this for a while, not a finished product as i feel the 2hrs it took to put it together was rushed but worth checking out

Hip mobility article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    brady23 wrote: »

Any chance of a link?

http://www.jimtherolfer.ie

Like I said it's not huge in Ireland but I've been to some excellent physios and this is definitely the most effective type of therapy I've received.
    I'm going into week 5 of 11 which is where the work starts to become deeper, less superficial.
    I've had substantial increased mobility and also less pain from the nerve damage in my lower back

Advertisement