Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels

Options
  • 03-11-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

Well things must really have recovered even a 3 star hotel is well over 200 euro room only on a Saturday night in November and lots are booked out, even going a bit outside of the city centre is the same.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have you tried Airbnb?

mariaalice wrote: »
    Well things must really have recovered even a 3 star hotel is well over 200 euro room only on a Saturday night in December and lots are booked out, even going a bit outside of the city centre is the same.

Just thinking it's probably because of Christmas parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are not enough hotel rooms in Dublin to meet demand. Basically no new hotels have been added in recent years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dudara wrote: »
    There are not enough hotel rooms in Dublin to meet demand. Basically no new hotels have been added in recent years

Yep they are running at over 90 percent capacity on a daily basis, I've friends who travel to Dublin for work and they often find themselves having to stay well outside the city centre these days as there are no rooms available

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's been a significant reduction in rooms since the crash. A number have closed - Royal Dublin, Berkeley Court, Ormond, Lynams off the top of my head; and others have gone mostly or entirely to emergency accomodation for the council. There's almost no low end hotels left.

Add in large increases in tourism and business travel and that's why it's dear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

L1011 wrote: »
    There's been a significant reduction in rooms since the crash. A number have closed - Royal Dublin, Berkeley Court, Ormond, Lynams off the top of my head; and others have gone mostly or entirely to emergency accomodation for the council.

Balls bridge hotel is also due to close next year

mariaalice wrote: »
    Well things must really have recovered even a 3 star hotel is well over 200 euro room only on a Saturday night in December and lots are booked out, even going a bit outside of the city centre is the same.

Try somewhere on the Luas line perhaps? Depends on whether you're going on business or pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

try the Aspect Hotel Dublin Park West , a bit easier on the pocket , my wife is there at the moment and finds it good , staff are friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

L1011 wrote: »
    There's been a significant reduction in rooms since the crash. A number have closed - Royal Dublin, Berkeley Court, Ormond, Lynams off the top of my head; and others have gone mostly or entirely to emergency accomodation for the council. There's almost no low end hotels left.

The Montrose is now student accommodation and the Ardmore( a hotel in Finglas, which was a questionable business decision from the beginning) is a nursing home. The hotels being used for emergency accommodation are generally seriously ****ty ones that most tourists wouldnt want anyway.

It is hard to justify building a hotel in Dublin 2 when you can get €650-700 a sq meter for it commercially. There is little risk of your commerical letting being loss making as you lock in a long term lease. Even all the massive sites in the City are being converted into Student accommodation rather than hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Forgot both of those...

Removing the low end still allows the others to ram up prices. There's some 2* marginals charging three figure a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Premier Inn or Holiday Inn are always a good bet.

New Holiday Inn opened on O' Connell street very recently also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Stheno wrote: »
    dudara wrote: »

Yep they are running at over 90 percent capacity on a daily basis
    I'm aware of some running over 97%.
    Failte Ireland think 5000 new rooms are currently required in Dublin now, with approximately the same number in planning/development which will take time.
    Brexit has softened the banks willingness to lend for new hotels but they will for extensions- there's several major hotels expanding now or very shortly.

tldr hotels in Dublin to remain expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Borzoi wrote: »
    I'm aware of some running over 97%.
    Failte Ireland think 5000 new rooms are currently required in Dublin now, with approximately the same number in planning/development which will take time.
    Brexit has softened the banks willingness to lend for new hotels but they will for extensions- there's several major hotels expanding now or very shortly.

tldr hotels in Dublin to remain expensive

This/That "tldr" yoke up there; a typo or what's it mean please?

Have seen it as "tl:dr" but still makes no sense....to me!

Thanks.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    This/That "tldr" yoke up there; a typo or what's it mean please?

Have seen it as "tl:dr" but still makes no sense....to me!

Thanks.

Too long didn't read the post followed by a summary of the longer post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

12th lock hotel is just reopened on Castle knock on train line

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Septhenfitz93

Anyone know of any hotels with hot tubs of jacuzzis in the room for a romantic break

Advertisement