Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about Trophies?

Options
  • 03-11-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭

Do you care about unlocking trophies/Achievements?

The reason I'm asking is I will try get a trophy to a point, but some trophies would require a full play through of a certain game maybe multiple times and I just don't have the time to do it most of the time. Time being the key to my trophy troubles.

I'm level 14 on PSN so relatively, I have a lot of trophies for the number of game I play but only 1 platinum and yet I love unlocking them. I love the noise and little notification when you unlock one but there's times when I'm not bothered going after all of them due to not wanting to plough a lot of time into it.

There seems to be two camps when it comes to this I've friends who are proper trophy whores who will get platinum in almost every game they play and then others who literally couldn't care if they never unlocked one. It seems to me that more and more people don't really care about unlocking trophies or not. I think the time factor is at play again. People just don't have 10's of hours a week to dedicate to gaming (I know I don't)

Thoughts?

Trophies Yay or Nay? 73 votes

Yes i love them try to unlock them all
    0% 0 votes
    I am not bothered
    27% 20 votes
    If they are easy i'll try to get them
    72% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I like getting them. Sometimes I find they add an extra challenge to a game or extra replayability to play a game or level a different way than you normally would. I hate trophies for finding all collectables in open world games though. Hate multiplayer trophies when you have guys on your team doing silly things just to get them and boosting.

I used to be big into getting achievements and trophies on games I really like but lately I'm finding I just don't have the time anymore. Used to get an hour or so a day for gaming but now if a get an hour a week I'm doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I like getting them. Sometimes I find they add an extra challenge to a game or extra replayability to play a game or level a different way than you normally would. I hate trophies for finding all collectables in open world games though. Hate multiplayer trophies when you have guys on your team doing silly things just to get them and boosting.

I used to be big into getting achievements and trophies on games I really like but lately I'm finding I just don't have the time anymore. Used to get an hour or so a day for gaming but now if a get an hour a week I'm doing well.

Totally agree - some of the open world collectable ones are just insane. You could be sinking 10's of hours into finding them all depending on the game. Realistically I don't see many people replaying a whole game just to get a trophy. Unless they loved the game of course and even then I have games that I loved but just wasn't motivated to play through it all again for 1 trophy.

As I've gotten older and dam life has gotten in the way I just don't have the time to dedicate to gaming that I use to have. It seems a lot of people are going the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I liked getting them and try occasionally. Don't really have enough time to game to the extent required before a new game is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Usually once I've finished the story and stuff of a game but I still enjoy playing it, I'll check out the trophy list and use going for them as a reason to keep playing the game and aim for something to do. Never really bothered about getting platinums unless I'm close anyway and think they're achievable (and not multiplayer ones which can f*ck right off).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good question but needs another option. I like collecting trophies but don't feel like I need to get them all unless I love the game or very close to getting the platinum. I don't go for trophies just because they are easy, some give a good challenge and some offer different ways to play the game. Saying that, I hate when devs use trophies to encourage people to use their awful boring feature they added to their game.

Currently on a Platinum run at the moment for Arkham Asylum on PS4. Have it on PS3 already but the challenge rooms are a pure joy/torture and very rewarding as it really does make you a better player.

Some people have to get the platinum even if they don't like the game. I really don't get how people can do it but whatever way they want to enjoy their gaming time, up to them. I don't like how some people attack trophy whores just because they have no interest in trophies/achievements themselves, seen a good bit of it on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Can't be arsed usually but wanted a Platinum just to have one so I got one in Rocket league. After that I'm not arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I completely ignore them. They add nothing to the experience of playing a game other than possibly making it tedious by requiring you to do something boring and/or repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I wish we could get rewarded with stuff like discounts on games or PSN credit with each trophy earned that would certainly entice everyone to aim for the trophies...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I was xbox360 before PS4, I used to like gamerscore more than trophies...not sure if it's just I'm older or it was a better idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

I know how that feels, it sucks growing up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I love them as to me it shows I really enjoyed the game, enough to at least want to do everything in it. Some games I don't bother if I don't enjoy the gameplay or story enough and then I feel I have to earn the platinum on my favourite games as I've enjoyed them so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Klair88 wrote: »
    I love them as to me it shows I really enjoyed the game, enough to at least want to do everything in it. Some games I don't bother if I don't enjoy the gameplay or story enough and then I feel I have to earn the platinum on my favourite games as I've enjoyed them so much.

As soon as I saw this thread I thought of you. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This +1

Also Klair your trophy list is impressive :o

This +1

Also Klair your trophy list is impressive :o

Yeah been at it a while now and they've all piled up.

I enjoyed the Witcher 3 so much I platinum'd it twice! I'm also a big fan of remasters with trophies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yeah been at it a while now and they've all piled up.

I enjoyed the Witcher 3 so much I platinum'd it twice! I'm also a big fan of remasters with trophies.

How do you plat them so quick?

How do you plat them so quick?

Sometimes I book time off work for game launches as I get a good few extra holiday days so I use them for that. Other factors attribute to speedy completions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I picked the "I'll get them if they're easy" option, but more because the other two don't apply to me. I'll collect trophies for the extra challenge, but I'd rarely go for the platinum; I've one platinum for Alice: Madness Returns because it was a game I enjoyed playing and I'd time on my hands. Now even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have time to collect 100 feathers in Assassins Creed etc. I don't feel a need to collect every trophy, but I would try to get the ones that challenge me.

I've one or two PSN friends who are up above level 25, with 60+ platinum trophies. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've never once looked at anything to do with the trophies/achievements, to me they are just a pop up whenever I do something in the game I was supposed to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dohboy

No.

But to each their own.

It depends on the game, the witcher was a pleasure from start to finish. Gta V was mostly torture, especially the online trophies. I just had a notion to do it one day and stuck with it, don't think I could do it again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I was xbox360 before PS4, I used to like gamerscore more than trophies...not sure if it's just I'm older or it was a better idea

Aaaaand two days later I actually get my first platinum. The walking dead season one, basically because it's awarded for just playing through

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jayisplay

I actually like getting platinums, I see it as a challenge and I feel good when I finally hear the ping for a platinum. Some games which require 3 playthroughs well then no , maybe 2 if it's not too big a game. I currently have 10 platinums and trying on uncharted 4 now. I still have over 150 games between PS3 and ps4 to play.

Would actually like someone to star a forum to see what platinums they have.

Jayisplay wrote: »
    Would actually like someone to star a forum to see what platinums they have.

well mine would be an extensive list:

Infamous Second Son

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jones wrote: »
    well mine would be an extensive list:

Infamous Second Son

:pac:

Infamous Second Son
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Batman Arkham City
    Assassins Creed 2
    The Walking Dead
    Lego Marvel Superheroes
    Game of Thrones
    Tales from the Borderlands
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

So in fairness, three of those are Telltale ones which you get for completing the story of the game anyway. I think The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2 had extra trophies though. And I mostly just wanted to get the Lego Marvel one because my nephew wanted me to unlock all the characters (though I did enjoy playing the game anyway and it wasn't overly difficult)

Penn wrote: »
    Infamous Second Son
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Batman Arkham City
    Assassins Creed 2
    The Walking Dead
    Lego Marvel Superheroes
    Game of Thrones

So in fairness, three of those are Telltale ones which you get for completing the story of the game anyway. I think The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2 had extra trophies though. And I mostly just wanted to get the Lego Marvel one because my nephew wanted me to unlock all the characters (though I did enjoy playing the game anyway and it wasn't overly difficult)
    still platinums though

I've a load that are around 70/80% and would need me to replay the game to platinum them and I don't haven't had the time. Some day i'll go back and we awash with platniums

Penn wrote: »
    Infamous Second Son
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Batman Arkham City
    Assassins Creed 2
    The Walking Dead
    Lego Marvel Superheroes
    Game of Thrones

Mine are infamous second son
    Shadow of mordor
    Lego hobbit (good fun)
    Walking dead 1
    The wolf among us
    Rocket league
    Far cry 3 PS3
    Wolfenstein the new order
    Watch dogs
    Unravel

I reckon I will have another 3 in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If I really like a game I will go for it. I have 47 of them so far.

Advertisement