Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 2017

Options
  • 03-11-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I'm considering this as my next tour of duty on the 3hr mission. I have checked out flights from Dublin go out at 6:30 on the day of marathon getting in for 7:30, would it be possible to get to start line o and time?
    Any other feed back would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

From going over to matches it would be possible via taxi alright. Public transport would be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

RasTa wrote: »
    From going over to matches it would be possible via taxi alright. Public transport would be tight.

Agreed but the stress/worry would kill me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

irfrm wrote:
    I'm considering this as my next tour of duty on the 3hr mission. I have checked out flights from Dublin go out at 6:30 on the day of marathon getting in for 7:30, would it be possible to get to start line o and time? Any other feed back would be great

Would it not be feasible to travel the day before? I have turned up to marathons here after a 2 hour drive but the stress of trying to get to the start line from the Airport would take away the fun for me. Just my 2 cents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

We're flying in the day before. Will try to get the United match in at 3pm (when in Rome) Sat. and then feet up for the evening. Central and comfortable hotel too... Close to the start, no need for a bag drop.

Going soft in my middle age. Stress free all the way. God bless the days when it was all about hostels and 6am flights to save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Would avoid this race like the plague.

They had a short course for three years in a row and never admitted to it until collared:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/manchester-marathon-too-short-by-380m-for-three-years-as-24000-runners-have-times-invalidated-a6995681.html%3Famp?client=ms-android-zte

Also they messed up the baggage this year.

Better to do something like Limerick at home.

• Advertisement

They had a short course for three years in a row and never admitted to it until collared:

To be fair it was a contracted company that measured the course which has been rectified. The baggage was a terrible screw up but was they have promised to address the problem . I ran it this year and found it to be a great course with amazing support. Limerick is a good marathon but I certainly wouldn't place it above Manchester. My experience of Limerick was shin high traffic cones and a not so pleasant run through an industrial estate with partially open roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'll be heading over again next year, I ran it in 2015 when it was short. They dont post out numbers so you'll have to get a friend to collect or use a uk address

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

On the race website
    RACE PACKS

Race packs which contain your number, timing chip and baggage label will be sent out in the post in March for those who entered before the end of January.

I just like the idea of staying in my own bed the night before, but I would be up at 5am anyway to get have breakfast, hoping on the plane and getting a taxi.
    As for the marathon I presume that they will work on the issue with the bag drop and reading back on previous years threads the general feeling that it a good marathon to do.
    And it's flat...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 angelzoo

With the DCM hangover in full swing I'm seriously considering this as my next big one. What's the support like en route? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

irfrm wrote: »
    On the race website
    RACE PACKS

Race packs which contain your number, timing chip and baggage label will be sent out in the post in March for those who entered before the end of January.

Best to check with the organisers. Numbers were not posted out in 2014-15 for overseas runners, these had to be picked up from the race village, it's mentioned on the website too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

angelzoo wrote: »
    With the DCM hangover in full swing I'm seriously considering this as my next big one. What's the support like en route? Thanks

Pretty good in fairness, not quitr as many as DCM but you go through a few villages similar to how Dublin route travels so you have plenty of good gathering points.
    There are a few miles (I'm guessing from memory) in around 17-20 that are near Sale Rugby club that are a bit rural and quiet, but other than that you are rarely without a few helpful cheers or stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Jnealon wrote: »
    Best to check with the organisers. Numbers were not posted out in 2014-15 for overseas runners, these had to be picked up from the race village, it's mentioned on the website too

According to the website overseas runners (thats us in Ireland too) must pick up their racepack on the Saturday and no numbers will be given out on raceday (Sunday)

According to the website overseas runners (thats us in Ireland too) must pick up their racepack on the Saturday and no numbers will be given out on raceday (Sunday)

The FAQ page.

"Runners who have entered after the 14th March will need to collect their race numbers from the information centre on Saturday 1st April, between 10:00 and 16:00. The information centre will be at a city centre location to be confirmed.

There will be no race number collection on race day Sunday 2nd April.

International runners have the option of having their numbers posted out to them, for £7.50, provided you register before 10th January and request this service. Please ring the office on + 44 161 928 6795, Monday-Thursday, 09:00-14:00 to pay over the phone for this service. Alternatively, you may collect your number from the race village on Saturday 1st April. Again, there will be no race number collection on race day Sunday 2nd April."

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

On the race website
    RACE PACKS

I just like the idea of staying in my own bed the night before, but I would be up at 5am anyway to get have breakfast, hoping on the plane and getting a taxi.
    As for the marathon I presume that they will work on the issue with the bag drop and reading back on previous years threads the general feeling that it a good marathon to do.
    And it's flat...

What if the flight is delayed...

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What if the flight is delayed...

TbL
    • Aer Lingus flight today arrived at 07:40
    • Off the plane with no fuss and sitting in taxi by 08:00
    • Direct route to the cricket ground takes 15 mins, assume you would be potentially dropped half a mile away from the cricket ground.
    • At the bag drop at 8:25, queuing.
    • Bag drop is efficient, out of there by 8:40.
    • 10min walk to the start.
    • 10min warm up - no bother :)

P.S. I wouldn't try this

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Have listen to the advice and am now going out on the Saturday as OH is tagging along for the trip. Must get booking.
    The club have 5 signed up with 3 of us somewhere around the 3 hour mark. I will be followng the P&D55-70 plan as I followed P&D55 for DC 12 and am hoping to up the mileage. Just did 3:08 in DCM16 so hoping to improve a bit on this.

irfrm wrote:
    Have listen to the advice and am now going out on the Saturday as OH is tagging along for the trip. Must get booking. The club have 5 signed up with 3 of us somewhere around the 3 hour mark. I will be followng the P&D55-70 plan as I followed P&D55 for DC 12 and am hoping to up the mileage. Just did 3:08 in DCM16 so hoping to improve a bit on this.

Good decision. You should have no problem improving on DCM, Manchester is alot faster.

Have listen to the advice and am now going out on the Saturday as OH is tagging along for the trip. Must get booking.
    The club have 5 signed up with 3 of us somewhere around the 3 hour mark. I will be followng the P&D55-70 plan as I followed P&D55 for DC 12 and am hoping to up the mileage. Just did 3:08 in DCM16 so hoping to improve a bit on this.

Just booked flights and hotel for Manchester myself. Hotel and early flight prices on Saturday 1st are very high. United and Liverpool are both playing at home. Just remember that overseas numbers must be collected on Saturday and collection closes at 16.00. I didn't realise this when booking flights and have only left myself 70 minutes to get from airport to wherever the collection is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have this down as my first marathon. Didn't see Saturday collection cut off until booking flights, but within the 24 hours, so didn't have to pay extra (bar the additional flight costs) and now I see I could've just paid extra to have the number sent! Not really starting off the best...

Will probably pay for the number to be sent to be honest, just to avoid any stress of flight delays on the weekend.

EDIT - That bit about International Runners being able to pay extra to have them posted doesn't seem to be on the FAQ's now, back to plan A!

Just booked flights and hotel for Manchester myself. Hotel and early flight prices on Saturday 1st are very high. United and Liverpool are both playing at home. Just remember that overseas numbers must be collected on Saturday and collection closes at 16.00. I didn't realise this when booking flights and have only left myself 70 minutes to get from airport to wherever the collection is.

You can arrange for your number to be posted.

• Advertisement

Seanie_H wrote: »
    You can arrange for your number to be posted.

This is an email I sent to the Manchester Marathon event organisers yesterday and the reply I received.

"Is there any facility for overseas entrants to have their number posted before the event. It may not be possible to make the collection venue before 16.00 on Sat 1st"

Reply:
    Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, we can only allow international race packs to be picked up from HOME First Street at 9:00 - 16:00.

Kind Regards,

Matt Urey
    Xtra Mile Events
    0161 928 6795

Office address: 292 Hale Road, Hale Barns, Altrincham, WA15 8SP.

This is an email I sent to the Manchester Marathon event organisers yesterday and the reply I received.

"Is there any facility for overseas entrants to have their number posted before the event. It may not be possible to make the collection venue before 16.00 on Sat 1st"

Reply:
    Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, we can only allow international race packs to be picked up from HOME First Street at 9:00 - 16:00.

Kind Regards,

Matt Urey
    Xtra Mile Events
    0161 928 6795

Office address: 292 Hale Road, Hale Barns, Altrincham, WA15 8SP.

Cheers for that. Xtra Mile will be getting a phone call tomorrow! I'll let you know if I have any joy. Sure I booked flights on the basis of what was stated on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I signed up this morning, my second marathon to complete all going well.

Flying out Saturday morning early flight, coming back Monday lunchtime.

Looking forward to doing it now , it means I have no excuse to start the proper training again from first week in January, gives me something to aim for early April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Looking forward to doing it now , it means I have no excuse to start the proper training again from first week in January, gives me something to aim for early April.

Do yourself a favour and start training first week in December instead.

Do yourself a favour and start training first week in December instead.

Nursing a bit of an inury at the moment, giving the body a chance to settle down and recover. Have only been down couple of 10km a week after a 2 week break after the Dublin city marathon.
    From January will be upping the frequency of training and the miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Nursing a bit of an inury at the moment, giving the body a chance to settle down and recover. Have only been down couple of 10km a week after a 2 week break after the Dublin city marathon.
    From January will be upping the frequency of training and the miles.

If you have the DCM and training under your belt then you have a good base there to bolt your next block of training onto.
    Mind that injury and make sure you get it right and you will be flying it in no time I am sure.

Still considering joining in for Manchester. Its quite convenient for me to do, but I would prefer to do a different run this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

just signed up, using it as a training run for London 3 weeks later

Just a gentle reminder that the 16 week programme for Manchester starts..........next Monday 12/12:)

Just a gentle reminder that the 16 week programme for Manchester starts..........next Monday 12/12:)

Hi,
    What plan is this? Would you have a link please?
    I am doing Manchester (2nd marathon) and want to see if I can train better/different than before.
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Advertisement