Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thanks for that, serious training in that.:eek:
    I wouldn't be anywhere near that level unfortunately, got 4.21 in my first marathon , a new PB in Manchester is my aim for marathon number 2 .
    For you experienced marathon guys, any advice for targets I should be aiming for in number 2 marathon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, serious training in that.:eek:
    I wouldn't be anywhere near that level unfortunately, got 4.21 in my first marathon , a new PB in Manchester is my aim for marathon number 2 .
    For you experienced marathon guys, any advice for targets I should be aiming for in number 2 marathon ?

Here's the Asics sub 4.00 plan, might be more suited to you. Consistency is the key to marathon training but dont stress if you miss a few runs. Sometimes the body is letting you know it needs a rest.

I used the 3.30 plan for my first marathon after 30 years of recovery from my last one !! It worked a treat, really enjoyed the run and was never in trouble, finished in 3.28.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/images/asics/ASICS_TRAININGPLANS_Sub%204.00.pdf

Here's the Asics sub 4.00 plan, might be more suited to you. Consistency is the key to marathon training but dont stress if you miss a few runs. Sometimes the body is letting you know it needs a rest.

I used the 3.30 plan for my first marathon after 30 years of recovery from my last one !! It worked a treat, really enjoyed the run and was never in trouble, finished in 3.28.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/images/asics/ASICS_TRAININGPLANS_Sub%204.00.pdf

Thank you for posting that for me, interesting training plan.

Well done on your 3.30 !! Super achievement after 30 years on the recovery:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

andrew1977 wrote:
    Thanks for that, serious training in that. I wouldn't be anywhere near that level unfortunately, got 4.21 in my first marathon , a new PB in Manchester is my aim for marathon number 2 . For you experienced marathon guys, any advice for targets I should be aiming for in number 2 marathon ?

Where was your first. Manchester is quite fast and flat. I paced 3.58 this year and I will be pacing 3.58 again next year. A sub 4 is within your reach if you put in the correct training.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Where was your first. Manchester is quite fast and flat. I paced 3.58 this year and I will be pacing 3.58 again next year. A sub 4 is within your reach if you put in the correct training.

Dublin this year was my first, trying to rest up a bit and shake off a niggling knee injury, but will be at the training full pelt in January.Sub 4 might just be too soon, you think?

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote:
    Dublin this year was my first, trying to rest up a bit and shake off a niggling knee injury, but will be at the training full pelt in January.Sub 4 might just be too soon, you think?

Manchester is flatter than Dublin with equal levels of support. If you get the correct training in no reason why you can't go sub 4. You'll certainly knock at least 10 mins off your Dublin time.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Accommodation is steep in Manchester. Was thinking of doing this but might just skip it and do cork instead. I have Berlin in Late sept, Is the 15 weeks enough of s cushion??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'm thinking of doing this. Will pull the trigger or not in the next couple of days.

Is anyone else going for the idea of flying out on the morning of the race, plan of arrival at 7.40? I figure that with the cost of accommodation the night before (barring Airbnb), as well as having a better control of fuel up plan the day before the race it could be the best option, plus I'm doing it solo so I don't really wanna hang around.

Couple of questions for those who may be in the know:

1. Does this race have a wave structure much like Dublin and if so, can you elect a later start if time is tight?

2. I assume it's kosher to list an address in NI if you know somebody up there to send numbers to?

3. Is there any issue in bringing through gels as carry on for a flight?

ligerdub wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this. Will pull the trigger or not in the next couple of days.

Is anyone else going for the idea of flying out on the morning of the race, plan of arrival at 7.40? I figure that with the cost of accommodation the night before (barring Airbnb), as well as having a better control of fuel up plan the day before the race it could be the best option, plus I'm doing it solo so I don't really wanna hang around.

1. Does this race have a wave structure much like Dublin and if so, can you elect a later start if time is tight?

2. I assume it's kosher to list an address in NI if you know somebody up there to send numbers to?

info@extramileevents.com should be able to answer all of the above. Personally I wouldnt risk trying to make it on the morning of the event, flight delays, train delays, closed roads, traffic, delays at bag drop, lots to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

True enough, but there are pro's and con's to day tripping or staying over the night before.

I'm holding out on the idea that the first flight of the day is less likely to be delayed than a flight later in the day. Even at that if there were multiple waves then delays might not be that fatal to plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've never had a problem with that

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I did this race a couple of times in recent years. Flew in from Dublin the night before, managed to find reasonably priced hotels. There's very good transport links to start so it widens the options of where you can stay beforehand. You could stay in city centre or at an airport hotel. I flew back to Dublin a couple of hours after race - got a shower in the Raddisson in the airport. IMHO mad to fly over on morning of race.

No need to use NI address - I picked up my number easily on race morning.

Gels will be fine for hand luggage as long as they're <100ml.

[
    No need to use NI address - I picked up my number easily on race morning. Quote.

From the Marathon website:

What if I am coming from overseas? What is the race number procedure for me?

Overseas runners must collect their number on Saturday 9th April from the race village, there will NOT be a race number pick-up facility on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Willowslane

Guys I've 3 nights accommodation booked in Salford quays. Fri-sun Inc. Fully paid in December but now due to circumstances I cannot run so if anybody is interested let me know. 800m to start line. 1.2km to number pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Reply: Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, we can only allow international race packs to be picked up from HOME First Street at 9:00 - 16:00.

By the way, I rang the organisers and arranged for postage to Ireland for the numbers in advance. Postage was approx. €8 I think.

Just a gentle warning to any of you guys (or gals) running in Manchester who like to wear headphones and hoping (or even expecting) to feature in the age category prizes. I noticed on the race website that the wearing of headphones are allowed only if you are not running for a prize. I fired off an email asking if this only applied to affiliated runners competing in "The Championships" which I believe is included in the race. The reply I got was that you cannot get any prize in any category if found to be running with headphones. How they would police that I do not know. What happens if you run 23 miles with them in and take them out for the last bit and crossing the line. I do like my music when I run !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just a gentle warning to any of you guys (or gals) running in Manchester who like to wear headphones and hoping (or even expecting) to feature in the age category prizes. I noticed on the race website that the wearing of headphones are allowed only if you are not running for a prize. I fired off an email asking if this only applied to affiliated runners competing in "The Championships" which I believe is included in the race. The reply I got was that you cannot get any prize in any category if found to be running with headphones. How they would police that I do not know. What happens if you run 23 miles with them in and take them out for the last bit and crossing the line. I do like my music when I run !!!

Photos!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Photos!!

I can see them calling in the best detectives the Greater Manchester Police force can muster to cover this !!

Lots of live music on the course, why miss out with headphones stuck in your ears.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Lots of live music on the course, why miss out with headphones stuck in your ears.

Because I like to listen to music that I have chosen, not what somebody else thinks I should listen to.

• Advertisement

Because I like to listen to music that I have chosen, not what somebody else thinks I should listen to.

Different varieties of music on the day, do what you wish just be aware of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I can see them calling in the best detectives the Greater Manchester Police force can muster to cover this !!
    https://www.finisherpix.com/events/single-view/asics-greater-manchester-marathon-2016.html

Enter any bib number and get photos from a number of places in the race. Doesn't exactly take Sherlock Holmes to investigate
    And you can still do that. You just won't be eligible for any prizes

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    https://www.finisherpix.com/events/single-view/asics-greater-manchester-marathon-2016.html

Enter any bib number and get photos from a number of places in the race. Doesn't exactly take Sherlock Holmes to investigate

And you can still do that. You just won't be eligible for any prizes

Thanks for stating the "bleeding obvious", after all, it was me who highlighted this rule in the first place !!

Hows everyones training coming along for this ? All going to plan ?

Under 5 weeks now to race day, wont be long coming around as they say.

Going over Saturday morning, coming back Monday.

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Hows everyones training coming along for this ? All going to plan ?

Under 5 weeks now to race day, wont be long coming around as they say.

Going over Saturday morning, coming back Monday.

Two chest infections and a sore piriformis later I'm not brimming with confidence but giving it a lash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Ticking over reasonably, I feel like I was alot more prepared for last years one. Actually I was far more prepared for last years one in terms of training, but hopefully the next two / three weeks will be solid and I can give it a good lash on the day.

The United march has been confirmed for the Saturday 3pm, so that will keep me occupied , will go to that .

Training going ok myself, hitting the long runs now each week and body holding up. Hoping to get a new PB, anything else a bonus ( it will be my second marathon in Manchester )

Food wise the day before and travelling abroad to races/marathons, what do you bring that you are familiar with ? (apologies if that's a stupid question ) , what do you eat in the restaurants when you get there pre race ? (don't want to risk any dodgy tummy or worse )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Just follow your nose and you should be ok.
    Just eat plenty and often the day before and you will be fine.

The day before isn't the day to be experimenting with any hot wing challenges or massively hot curry (if you are not used to it!) and maybe try avoid the potentially dodgy burger vans if you are going to the football.

I would recommend also reviewing the breakfast offering at your accommodation. If its just a cornflakes and toast kind of place, you might want to buy a few extra bits to boost it in the morning.

gucci wrote: »
    Just follow your nose and you should be ok.
    Just eat plenty and often the day before and you will be fine.

The day before isn't the day to be experimenting with any hot wing challenges or massively hot curry (if you are not used to it!) and maybe try avoid the potentially dodgy burger vans if you are going to the football.

I would recommend also reviewing the breakfast offering at your accommodation. If its just a cornflakes and toast kind of place, you might want to buy a few extra bits to boost it in the morning.

Thanks for that, yes will definitely keep away from the burger vans.
    Will have a packed lunch for the flight over Saturday, munch away on my own food , then buy some fruit and pasta in a restaurant/shop over there.
    Breakfast will be porridge, toast and jam, some fruit , and something else to nibble on .

Looking forward to it now, spent years over and back there working/going to watch United, to think I might complete the marathon over there is great motivation for me.

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote:
    Looking forward to it now, spent years over and back there working/going to watch United, to think I might complete the marathon over there is great motivation for me.

There is great support on most of the course, live bands, choirs and kids handing out sweets ( just don't forget to hi 5 them) If the weather is like last year prefect for running, started off cold warmed up nicely. Good luck and enjoy. I'm the 3.58 pacer ( I'll have a big flag on my back).

Advertisement