Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

nhunter100 wrote: »
    There is great support on most of the course, live bands, choirs and kids handing out sweets ( just don't forget to hi 5 them) If the weather is like last year prefect for running, started off cold warmed up nicely. Good luck and enjoy. I'm the 3.58 pacer ( I'll have a big flag on my back).

Thanks, see you there.. although the 3.58 pace is just a bit ahead of me .
    Hoping to come in around the 4.10 mark but you never know !

Best of luck to you also !

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

There is great support on most of the course, live bands, choirs and kids handing out sweets ( just don't forget to hi 5 them) If the weather is like last year prefect for running, started off cold warmed up nicely. Good luck and enjoy. I'm the 3.58 pacer ( I'll have a big flag on my back).
    Hopefully I'll be on your shoulder the whole way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

ISOP wrote:
    Hopefully I'll be on your shoulder the whole way!

Don't forget to say 'hi' at the start. See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

I'm doing Manchester for the first time this year (first marathon outside of Ireland). Hoping it lives us to the flat fast claims. I have a 3.30.09 from Dublin two years ago and 3.34 last year with less training so really hoping to land a 3.2X.XX
    Anybody know what the water stop situation is - is it bottles or cups? how many? are gels supplied on route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'll now be struggling to get to Manchester on Saturday afternoon and if I can do it at all, it'll be late Saturday night when I arrive. I might try and contact them to see is there any way they will post my race number. Anyone know of any other possible solution?

Tnx

TfL

• Advertisement

I'll now be struggling to get to Manchester on Saturday afternoon and if I can do it at all, it'll be late Saturday night when I arrive. I might try and contact them to see is there any way they will post my race number. Anyone know of any other possible solution?

Are you a member of the MCI?

Are you a member of the MCI?

Strange question nhunter!

Was one of the founding members but haven't been a member in a few years

TbL

Was one of the founding members but haven't been a member in a few years

I only ask as I think a few from the club are running it and you could ask for a number pick up on the club FB page. Apologies if you took offense, none intended.

I only ask as I think a few from the club are running it and you could ask for a number pick up on the club FB page. Apologies if you took offense, none intended.

Tnx.

Absolutely no offence taken, just was wondering about the context of the question.

Still know a far few of the guys and gals so might ask one of them, thanks for the heads up

TbL

Still know a far few of the guys and gals so might ask one of them, thanks for the heads up

It wasn't my intention to go to the village on the Saturday as I'll have my son with me ( he hates all things running, teenager) .I'm one of the Pacers, so I'll be getting my number on Sunday. If you want to contact the organisers and suggest they put your number with my mine I'll meet you on the Sunday. PM me if I can help.

• Advertisement

It wasn't my intention to go to the village on the Saturday as I'll have my son with me ( he hates all things running, teenager) .I'm one of the Pacers, so I'll be getting my number on Sunday. If you want to contact the organisers and suggest they put your number with my mine I'll meet you on the Sunday. PM me if I can help.

Really appreciate the offer, might take you up on that but I don't want to put you out, mightn't suit you to be trying to find a fat auld lad on a Sunday morning before the race!

TbL

Really appreciate the offer, might take you up on that but I don't want to put you out, mightn't suit you to be trying to find a fat auld lad on a Sunday morning before the race!

It would be easier for you to find me, I'll have a big flag on my back. (3.58.00)

Has the race number pick up point been confirmed yet? Where is it? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Email received today:

The ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon is just over 3 weeks away. We hope any last minute training is going well and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the start line on April 2nd.
    This email is a quick reminder for all international entrants that it will be compulsory to collect your race pack from our race pack collection point in Central Manchester. The collection point will be open from 4-8pm on Friday 31st March and 9-4pm on Saturday 1st April and is based at First Street in Manchester.

The pick-up point is located at:
    First Street
    2 Tony Wilson Place
    Manchester
    M15 4FN

Please note- You will be required to bring photo ID to collect your pack.

If you cannot make the yourself, you can get someone to collect your race pack on your behalf. To do this, they will need to have a note signed from you stating that you give them authority to collect your race pack.
    Full race information will be emailed out later this week. In the meantime, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Everyone all set for this Sunday ?

I think I am ready for it , done the training as best I could, next long run will be sunday morning when the hooter goes for the start of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Best of luck to yourself and all those heading over for it. It's one I'd like to have a go at myself. Maybe next year. I'll be looking out for reports!

Unfortunately I have to pull out. 2 chest infections and a dose of shingles have left me on the floor. I am in no condition to run 26 miles. Absolutely gutted but heading over for the weekend anyway.

all set

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Good luck to everyone in the race and enjoy the weekend. Sorry to hear that Glencarraig, that sounds like a rough spell you are going through!!
    The weather forecast looks promising too, so hopefully everyone has a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck everyone, it's a great race, so enjoy the occasion.

Here's a few post race thoughts that I had last year.
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Thoughts on the event
    Overseas number collection:
    •Pretty smooth, I arrived shortly after it opened and the queue was small
    •No checking of ID, just give your name
    Public Transport:
    •This could be improved, I was staying 400mts from a Metro line (2 stops to the start), service was every 15mins, but the frequency wasn't increased for the marathon.
    •This meant the Metros were very crowded, I had to force my way on
    •Ticketing machines couldn't handle the volume and went into reboot mode, once I seen the Windows XP boot up screen I took my chances ticketless
    •Again on the return Metros stayed on their normal Sunday schedule which added to the overcrowding, although they did 4 staff on the platform
    Start Area:
    •Underwhelming, no razzmatazz apart the distance sound over a local radio station road caster.
    •Very lax security, no number checking, spectators mixing with participants and a mixture different coloured numbers
    •Start itself was also underwhelming, start Marshall had no amplification to give instructions
    Course:
    •Course is good for a city marathon, flat, fast and pretty decent support apart from mile 20 out near Carrington for 2-3 miles (although they did add a little music from a van here)
    •Water and aid stations were plentiful, well stocked and the helpers were a friendly bunch
    •Generally the Marshalls were very encouraging all the way around
    •Having you name on your number was great having people give you encouragement on the way around
    •The course doubles back on itself a few times and the 10 mile / 16 mile section looked pretty crowed as I passed the 4hr+ runners, this section will probably be their choke point if they want to grow
    •Mile markers were a bit sporadic, maybe 4-5 missing, some facing the wrong way and a few quite clearly misplaced
    •Lorraine did mention at the 1st turn point (about 1k) that the Marshalls weren't proactive enough as the wheelchairs arrived and this led to some confusion
    Finish Area:
    •Nice straight run in for the last half mile
    •I was on my hands and knees only 20 mts over the line puking up bile for about a minute and no stewards came near me
    •At my end of the race it was very easy to meet up with Lorraine and kids, maybe a bit too easy
    •Metro is a short walk from finish, so easy to get out of there
    Thankfully I didn't need to experience the baggage drop or collection.
    Would I come back, yes, probably, fast course, early April, nice city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Best of luck to everyone doing this tomorrow.This was to be my main marathon this year,but an injury in January put that on hold.Maybe next year.

Good event yesterday. The organisation and bag collection was superb, so I think they have learned greatly from mistakes from last year.The course was well supported all the way around as well and the weather, probably about as close to perfect as you can get! It was a bit chilly beforehand, but it warmed up nicely without getting too hot. I did get some nice farming tan lines though :D Picking up on Beepbeeps post above, they have altered the start and it did seem to have a much better flow than last year, although I started 2 pens further up this year so that may have helped too. The mile markers and water stations were very good and well staffed this year. Although there is a bit of a gap (i will say maybe 20-23?) where it seemed like a long time with out a water station. A few of my friends thought the same.

I met two Rosccommon lads after and a Kevin from Kerry beforehand. The Rosccommon lads looked satisfied enough with their day at the end, Kevin, if you are on here, I hope you got on okay!

I had a good day at the office myself running wise, managed to get a PB and GFA time for London which was the primary target for this cycle of training.

Once again its inspiring to go to a huge event like this and DCM and see the ability of some of the best, and some of the characters that have such a huge battle just making it to the start line.

Also I had a chuckle at a few hilarious remarks from on lookers telling you stuff like "Your doing great, you lads are on for 3:15" (This was after 4 miles and we were a 3 hour speed group!) and there were a few funny Trump "NO WALLS" signs!

Very well organised but I don't like the course it has a number of turns and gets narrow in places. If you're in a big pacing group this can be a problem as you come up against potential hazards with no warning. I saw two guys take heavy falls and my heels were clipped (before my wings were!). Water stations are not long enough and were a bit of a mess with lads cutting straight across to grab water without any though for the lads behind them

TbL

I thought it was superb

Second time pacing this marathon. Huge improvement on last year. The start was far better, mile markers were fairly spot on and baggage reclaim very well organised imo. Weather was great nice and warm and the Erdinger at the finish was ice cold.

Really enjoyed the Manchester marathon, well organised , great support, great weather a bonus , plenty of water stations, plenty of toilets , easy bag drop and collection, nice medal and tshirt.
    I ran 4.06 , a 15 minute improvement on my PB, very happy with it, marathon number 2 now completed.
    Had a great weekend over there, everyone very friendly, and supporters giving loads of cheers , sweets and fruit on the route.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, at one stage I thought the magical sub 4 hours was on the cards for me but not to be , tired and soreness kicked in , but won't grumble.
    There was a few hills in it so not completely flat , but nothing energy sapping.
    Time for a bit of rest and then try see if I can find another improvement in me to get 6 minutes faster to take me to sub 4 hours... damm you running

Well done Andrew1977. I am sure if you keep up your training (after a well deserved rest!) you will have no bother going under the 4 hours!

Advertisement