Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf Game Log and Mod Queue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sullivlo wrote: »
    I think it just needs to be vanilla/complex. A vanilla game can be themed and work really well without adding any flavour or complex roles. I don’t think you need to declare a theme ages in advance, unless you want a specific theme...

I understand. But if we have a 15 month queue, without anyone revealing their plans - we have no way of determining the level of vanilla games. So at least vanilla vs complex needs to be indicated?

I get what you are saying Necro, but id prefer if people had a game in mind when they sign up to mod. Its not overly regulatory to get people to commit a minimum amount of detail when signing up for something (especially modding).

If the theme or roles change slightly down the line, no harm - but if the goal is to have a better balance of vanilla games, i dont see how we can guarantee this without transparency of game type (and its funny you mention MU due to their lack of transparency in the recent games).

At the moment every game mod is well within their rights to say 'hey i signed up to do a mad game with bells and whistles', so we cant force those mods to do vanilla games, the issue is that if you are waiting for 12 months to mod a game, i think its more likely its gonna be a bells and whistles game, and if EVERY mod team is waiting that length of time, its gonna be bells and whistles games non-stop.

Would you plan for 12-15 months in advance for a simple vanilla game? At the moment, the modding sign up system is a little skewed towards putting lots into your game, imo.

Since WWX, we have had 2 vanilla games. The games in between have not been bad by any stretch, but i do think the balance between vanilla and complex isnt great at the moment, and the way we book in games is contributing to that.

And, unless some of the mods that are booked in want to do vanilla, we could be looking at another 2 vanilla games out of the next 15-18.....

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Games Managers, lol. Is that a paid position coz I would totally be up for doing that job?

I don't think it's a massively strict rule (and I think we actually discussed this before IIRC) but I don't see the harm in it. For example, myself Kolido and SM were thinking of doing an EastEnders game for our November slot. Would've been a right pain in the arse if we'd had it planned before the game we just finished. I think someone had told Kolido though that that was the theme so he was able to steer us off it. But it would've been much easier if there was just a list we could refer to.

Like I'm sure everyone knows that our Star Trek anniversary game is gonna be Star Trek themed. It doesn't take away from the fun of it that people already know the theme. So if anyone else was planning on a ST themed game they know that we have it booked. And it's not a "rule" that we had to adhere to. Just handy to know. Have I just talked myself into allowing mods to decide for themselves? I think I have. :pac:

Likewise if someone else wants to do ST before our game, they can. They can just get in touch with us so they can do TOS and we can do TNG again (not that that is what we are doing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

The problem with having 2 games a month though is that it increases the complexity of the scheduling. If I've put myself down for the August game say but I'm not actually available to run it until the last week in August you'd have to shuffle around so that the other game comes before mine. And if my game happens to run into the start of September then it knocks off the schedule for the 2 September games and has a massive knock on effect. If you want a week between games then maybe it's better not to assign them to a specific month? Just assume a break of about a week between games and start running them from now on?

Or we break the year into 24 game weeks and let people sign up to run a week that suits them?

Mods of the next game - are ye having any problem with sign ups? It would be interesting to see the level of participation for the last few games to see if there is demand for a second game a month. Personally I don't have a problem with other people playing but I don't think I have the headspace for 2 games a month. my head would be fried.

People don't have to play every game thats being run. With more games, you can pick the game that suits your schedule.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Games Managers, lol. Is that a paid position coz I would totally be up for doing that job?

I don't think it's a massively strict rule (and I think we actually discussed this before IIRC) but I don't see the harm in it. For example, myself Kolido and SM were thinking of doing an EastEnders game for our November slot. Would've been a right pain in the arse if we'd had it planned before the game we just finished. I think someone had told Kolido though that that was the theme so he was able to steer us off it. But it would've been much easier if there was just a list we could refer to.

Like I'm sure everyone knows that our Star Trek anniversary game is gonna be Star Trek themed. It doesn't take away from the fun of it that people already know the theme. So if anyone else was planning on a ST themed game they know that we have it booked. And it's not a "rule" that we had to adhere to. Just handy to know. Have I just talked myself into allowing mods to decide for themselves? I think I have. :pac:

Haha, yeah I know - I was like - where do I sign up to be paid to do this:pac::pac:

Pter wrote: »
    I understand. But if we have a 15 month queue, without anyone revealing their plans - we have no way of determining the level of vanilla games. So at least vanilla vs complex needs to be indicated?

I get what you are saying Necro, but id prefer if people had a game in mind when they sign up to mod. Its not overly regulatory to get people to commit a minimum amount of detail when signing up for something (especially modding).

If the theme or roles change slightly down the line, no harm - but if the goal is to have a better balance of vanilla games, i dont see how we can guarantee this without transparency of game type (and its funny you mention MU due to their lack of transparency in the recent games).

At the moment every game mod is well within their rights to say 'hey i signed up to do a mad game with bells and whistles', so we cant force those mods to do vanilla games, the issue is that if you are waiting for 12 months to mod a game, i think its more likely its gonna be a bells and whistles game, and if EVERY mod team is waiting that length of time, its gonna be bells and whistles games non-stop.

Would you plan for 12-15 months in advance for a simple vanilla game? At the moment, the modding sign up system is a little skewed towards putting lots into your game, imo.

Since WWX, we have had 2 vanilla games. The games in between have not been bad by any stretch, but i do think the balance between vanilla and complex isnt great at the moment, and the way we book in games is contributing to that.

And, unless some of the mods that are booked in want to do vanilla, we could be looking at another 2 vanilla games out of the next 15-18.....

I see where you are coming from, I'd agree to a point it's not a bad thing to have in mind a theme when you commit to modding a game (I generally do ala LOTR for Jan, ST for September, our upcoming August game), but it's also imo ok to put yourself down for a time that suits you, with no plans in mind right at this moment but knowing you'll be free that month.

Now, here's the next proposal...

There'll be 4 weeks between the July game and the August game, this I know for a fact (we're aiming for 25th August as a start date).

So with that in mind... would it be an idea to have or trial the idea of a vanilla game in between Jurassic Werewolf and August's game?

If so, I'd like to give sully first refusal on modding it if she's available (I can help if no one else is able)

Ill play a vanilla game in between for sure anyway. Wouldnt be able to mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

TBH I think the best idea is to remove the numbering system from the games. Then if someone wants to slot in a vanilla game in between 2 big complex games (like Necro has just proposed) then it's not putting anyone out and it can be done easily.

I'd be in favour of announcing the themes as soon as you have one set between the mod team (or adding it to the table at least) but I don't think it needs to be a set in stone rule.

Interesting point mentioned to me actually - would declaring a start date by mods be a better option than having to name a theme?

July game starts 29th.

August game 25th.

Etc.

(October game will be 28th of the month btw).

Then you could see where the second games (if people want to run them) can fit into the schedule...

And yeah, the removal of numbers means no hassle in that regard too.

Would we be allowed to run necro style games in between, or are we restricted to vanilla and one night games?

Necro style :pac: I LOVE it :D

Edit: Jokes aside, probably a discussion between the game mods? Example if Pter is running a Necro style (:P) game then might be better for the other mods to run a vanilla/one nighter?

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here or anything...

sKeith wrote: »
    Would we be allowed to run necro style games in between, or are we restricted to vanilla and one night games?

See this is why i still think we need to declare game type.

If it swung the other way and 2 of the scheduled games as per the queue were vanilla, no reason we could do bells and whistles games in between. But we cant unless we know what type of game mods are going to run!

• Advertisement

See this is why i still think we need to declare game type.

If it swung the other way and 2 of the scheduled games as per the queue were vanilla, no reason we could do bells and whistles games in between. But we cant unless we know what type of game mods are going to run!

Type makes sense. If mods want to keep theme secret that's ok by me. But if we are moving to a schedule where games can be slotted in depending on interest/mod availability then declaring vanilla VS Necro (not letting this die btw, thanks duffman :D ) style would be ok.

Imo anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Can we just ask mods to declare what type of game they have planned and theme (all optional of course) and fill in the table. I'm sure we will get enough info from everyone to see where we stand.

I would stress that this should not be mandatory, I can't see an issue with everyone revealing their game type at least.

BANG and the numbers are gone.

wanna add the dates for the 3 locked in dates given. helps for adding interim games.

Game Type |Theme (revealed optionally)|Mod(s)|Date|Game Thread| Winning Team|Posts
    Complex | Werewolf - Jurassic Park | Pter, TB & Duffman13 | July 29th 2018 | TBC | TBC
    Complex| Werewolf | Necro & Quickbeam & Stu Redman | August 26th 2018 | TBC | TBC
    TBC|Werewolf | Loughc & Barney92 | September 2018 | TBC | TBC |
    Complex|Werewolf - A Real Scary Event | Necrominus & sKeith | October 28th 2018 | TBC | TBC |
    Complex|Werewolf | Kolido, Molly & SM | November 2018 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Pter, MrsFlushdraw & Loughc | December 2018 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Necrominus & Barney92| January 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Lord TSC | February 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Kolido & Pter | March 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Stu Redman| April 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | duffman13 | May 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | kitten_k, beakerjoe & duffman13 | June 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | andy125 | July 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | TBC | August 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Pter, Necro, Molly & Uriel | September 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | Necrominus | October 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | TBC | November 2019 | TBC | TBC |
    TBC|Werewolf | TBC | December 2019 | TBC | TBC |

Game mods if you can indicate your game type and/or theme (optionally) to me, ill update the table. Or quote it and you can do it at your leisure!

If anyone wants to take a stab at categorising the games to date (Complex or Vanilla) ill update the master list later too! :)

:D October is gonna be awesome.

'A Real Scary Event'..

Or ARSE for short :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Pter wrote:

So we had that argument over the xxx game for nothing...

We are werewolf players. We argue over what turns out to be nothing all the time.

Super Vanilla
    Vanilla
    Vanilla Adjacent
    Mirror Vanilla

Pter wrote:
    We are werewolf players. We argue over what turns out to be nothing all the time.

There's a category for the end of year awards this year "biggest pointless argument" its essentially a participation award for everyone!

• Advertisement

Super Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla Adjacent Mirror Vanilla

Vanilla light
    Cola with vanilla
    Vanilla sandwich

There's a category for the end of year awards this year "biggest pointless argument" its essentially a participation award for everyone!

No it isn't :pac:

Vanilla zero
    Vanilla max

Can't wait to try out my liquourice game type for the Xmas game.

No it isn't

Shut your damn mouth! (what's the internet equivalent to that? "cut off your damn fingers?)

... that escalated quickly

Nah, I'm happy enough. At the time it was a big thing but given the direction our planning has gone, turns out not so much.

Also I'm a cranky bastard at times, if I'm not playing how do I get my argument on :D

I'd like to be included in the 'Rant of the Year' category though :pac:

Necrominus wrote:
    Nah, I'm happy enough. At the time it was a big thing but given the direction our planning has gone, turns out not so much.

Vin Diesel wouldn't give you the rights to the name?!

Vin Diesel wouldn't give you the rights to the name?!

Yeah, and Jenna Jameson also refused :(

Oh, wait you mean for WW? :pac:

Necrominus wrote:
    Yeah, and Jenna Jameson also refused

Necrominus wrote:
    Oh, wait you mean for WW?

I only kinda get that... In my defence I'm on mojito number 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Molly Award of the Year goes to.......
    456225.jpg