Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House costs

Options
  • 03-11-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am looking to purchase an unfinished house that needs new heating system (want oil), floors for sitting room, kitchen, hall. New fireplace and new kitchen. Has anybody any idea house much i would roughly need. I know its hard to price but an average would be great. My hubby is fairly handy. Hes a builder and an electrician so would be able to do a bit himself.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

12farnham wrote: »
    I am looking to purchase an unfinished house that needs new heating system (want oil), floors for sitting room, kitchen, hall. New fireplace and new kitchen. Has anybody any idea house much i would roughly need. I know its hard to price but an average would be great. My hubby is fairly handy. Hes a builder and an electrician so would be able to do a bit himself.

Pure guess without a schedule of works/BoQ prepared.
    Speak to 3 local contractors and give them the same list each to compare prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

12farnham wrote: »

The issues here are many:

Heating system? does that mean you need to install pipes? if yes then all the walls, floors and ceilings may have to be damaged to install or are you just talking about the heat source (ie boiler)?

Floors will depend solely on what material you choose. Timber (solid, semi solid, laminate), Tile (ceramic, porcelain, stone etc) etc

Fireplace - how long is a piece of string. Anything from €700 to €7000

Kitchen - how long is a piece of string. Anything from €5000 to €80,000

What about electrics, plastering, painting etc as I'd assume these are also not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mickb1965

Is your hubby Safe Electric registered? If not he can't do the electric work (by himself).

Advertisement