Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is a good spot to see/photograph the upcoming supermoon?

Options
  • 03-11-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I believe there is a supermoon happening on the 14th of this month. Just wondering where would be a good spot to see it or photograph it and at what time? I'm in the West of Ireland if anyone had any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Light pollution is not a problem with a full moon, so I would say anywhere so long as there is a cloudless sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Just wondering does anyone know where it will be at a certain time in the sky? I was hoping to get a photo of a castle silhouetted against it or something like that. Not sure why I'm asking cos the chances of a cloudless sky are next to none here in Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

If the weather plays ball conditions should be ideal, as the moon will rise at 5:16pm at 66' East North East, it will then travel South and set the following morning at 8:41am at 297' West North West.

Midnight looks very interesting as the moon will be 183' South, at an altitude of 48'

I got this information from https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/ireland/galway

East coast times will be about 15 minutes earlier.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If the weather plays ball conditions should be ideal, as the moon will rise at 5:16pm at 66' East North East, it will then travel South and set the following morning at 8:41am at 297' West North West.

Midnight looks very interesting as the moon will be 183' South, at an altitude of 48'

I got this information from https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/ireland/galway

East coast times will be about 15 minutes earlier.

Wow thanks for that. Just have to find a nice castle or mountain to silhouette against:) i suppose if I'm due north of whatever I should be sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

breadbin wrote: »
    Wow thanks for that. Just have to find a nice castle or mountain to silhouette against:) i suppose if I'm due north of whatever I should be sorted?
    Yes as long as you, the object your shooting and the moon are in a reasonable alignment you should get your desired effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Weather looks to be cloudy on Monday where I am, but luckily I'm going to be out in the Wicklow Mts. near Glendalough on Saturday night, and I see that the moon will rise roughly in the east, which if I'm lucky will mean I'll see it above the upper lake looking down from the top of the valley. Weather looks set to be clear too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice clear periods(in places) at the moment , this evenings moon is nice and bright rising into the sky at the moment

It's tomorrow night though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sure is but looking very murky on the weather front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Sure is but looking very murky on the weather front

Nasty weather...couldnt see the planes flying around.
    Wednesday is a next possible good time window to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Not great view, and pics just bulk upload no editing lots of rubbish in there but the video I think is cool.

Taken with Nikon coolpix P900.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskLrEXQV

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how many nights will it be in view??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

fryup wrote: »
    how many nights will it be in view??
    You won't see a full Moon this close, big or bright until November 25th 2034.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i mean ..how many nights this week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Taken at 22:39 this evening (14/11/16) with a Nikon D5100 and a Tamron 150-600mm. lens:

30990250985_7fd86ebbea_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

Very nice, but really just a nice photo of 'the moon'.

The term 'supermoon' is essentially meaningless. At perigree, the moon will appear slightly larger, but not to the naked eye unless it's the naked eye of a seasoned observer, and certainly not in the absence of context. Even in a context an apparent change in size is meaningless unless the context, and the distance to the contextual object, is familiar to he observer.

The angular diameter of the moon is 31 arcminutes, or about half a degree. That's a tiny bit of sky. 14% bigger is a tiny bit of a tiny bit bigger. The moon only appears 'big' at all because it's one of a kind to the observer.

The headline-friendly 'supermoon' isn't even an astronomical term. It was coined by a 1970s astrologer. The technical term for this regular if infrequent, and only mildly astronomically interesting, phenomenon is a perigree-syzygy of the Earth-Moon-Sun system. Doesn't reallly grab the attention, does it?

:)

Sorry for being a party pooper. Nice shot, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

endacl wrote: »
    ^^

Very nice, but really just a nice photo of 'the moon'.

The term 'supermoon' is essentially meaningless. At perigree, the moon will appear slightly larger, but not to the naked eye unless it's the naked eye of a seasoned observer, and certainly not in the absence of context. Even in a context an apparent change in size is meaningless unless the context, and the distance to the contextual object, is familiar to he observer.

The angular diameter of the moon is 31 arcminutes, or about half a degree. That's a tiny bit of sky. 14% bigger is a tiny bit of a tiny bit bigger. The moon only appears 'big' at all because it's one of a kind to the observer.

The headline-friendly 'supermoon' isn't even an astronomical term. It was coined by a 1970s astrologer. The technical term for this regular if infrequent, and only mildly astronomically interesting, phenomenon is a perigree-syzygy of the Earth-Moon-Sun system. Doesn't reallly grab the attention, does it?

:)

Sorry for being a party pooper. Nice shot, by the way.

I hear ya! :)
    To be fair, if that was a shot of any other full moon this year, it isn't going to look a whole lot different. The plan was to get a few snaps of it rising above a hill or close to a building, but I just didn't get a chance to get out.
    Thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Not the "supermoon", but here is a photo I took a few months back of the moon that looked super at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

i mean ..how many nights this week??

Hi fryup,

The www.timeanddate.com site that Pat mentioned will allow you get Moon rise and set times for your location. The Moon is past Full now and rising that bit later each evening. It will be New in two weeks before being Full again on December 14th. On that date the Moon is only 1500 km further away than last Monday's Full Moon - to the eye you'd hardly see any difference between the two.

As endacl pointed out, the apparent change is often not obvious unless you've something to go by, such as regularly following the ups and downs of the Moon during the year. That said, around 10 o'clock on Monday night the cloud thinned and I noticed the Moon definitely that bit brighter than the normal Full Moon. The clouds probably accentuated the appearance though.

The Moon Illusion, when it's apparent size looks bigger when low down, means that Full Moon doesn't necessarily have to coincide with a Supermoon for it to look striking as it rises.

Fred Espenak has a nice write-up on lunar perigee and apogee at http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/moon/fullperigee2001.html while a calculator can be found at https://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/pacalc.html -- see also http://www.calsky.com

There's been kids groups visiting Dunsink all week and a few used my iOptron smart phone adapter to hook up their mobiles to the TV 102mm scope. They got some terrific images, especially with the newer phones.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

My own effort on the night

30990285895_e5c13cb012_z_d.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement