Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to pass Irish to get into IADT?

Options
  • 03-11-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Okay so I'm currently in 6th year and the question should be pretty straightforward. I passing Irish mandatory. I'm currently doing ordinary level and I can already tell I am not gonna pass, my teacher is suggesting that I drop. I've read that the minimal requirements are two Higher C3's and four Ordinary D3's and Foundation maths is accepted. I'm doing 7 subjects in the LC. Would dropping to Foundation irish be okay? Like is it fine as long as I pass ANY six subjects? Am I overthinking this? It's making me anxious.
    It'd be great if someone could confirm, thanks :)

Also, I'm hoping to get into a visual arts course: 3D design, model-making and digital art. I already know that a portfolio is required. I would ask questions about that but I'll probably look at other threads first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wattiepad

Hey, an IADT student here. I know you've posted this months ago but no one replied so I figured I might as well give you my two cents.

I think dropping to foundation Irish should be fine, as long as you're confident you can pass/do well in your other subjects. I mean, your LC points only really depend on your 6 highest grades, so make sure you do well in those other subjects. I didn't do Irish myself for the LC, so really I only had 6 subjects to study for. (But I was pretty confident I'd do well in my other subjects anyway, so I wasn't anxious at all.)

As long as you can achieve two Higher C3's and four Ordinary D3's in your LC, you should be fine. Besides, you have the portfolio grade to bank on alongside your LC points anyway. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I went to IADT a few years ago for one year before transferring to a different college closer to home. I didnt do Irish in my leaving cert and had no problem getting a place, I can't imagine the requirements would have changed since then. Once you have a good portfolio and the required higher and ordinary subjects it shouldnt be a problem. If it is or if you dont get enough leaving cert points you can do a Fetac 5 portfolio course and get in that way instead.

Advertisement