Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entire Build Process

Options
  • 03-11-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Guys,

Basically I want to build a home and I have no idea how to go through the entire process.

I have a 0.5 acre site in North County Galway.

Budget is 200,000 - 260,000.

I would like to build a 3-4 bed home between 1,600 - 1,800 feet.

I would like to achieve a high level of air tightness and have the place well insulated.

So that's basically what I want.

So where do I start?

Should I go to an architect and pay. 8% - 10% of the build? (anywhere from 16,000 - 26,000)

Get it designed and then try and price it and hope it falls within my budget?

Should I buy off the shelf plans or use an engineer and specify I want high insulation, HMRV, etc. and get a QS to price it?

I really just don't know how to start getting the build underway at all.

Either way it seems like I am spending a lot of money before I even have a slight idea if I can even afford to build.

People on here give E1,600 per m2 as a ballpark figure.

That puts it at E238,400 for a 1,600sqft house. Is that a turnkey figure?

What is the best way to go forward from here?

I want a house, I have the land and I'm completely lost as to my next steps.

Thanks for reading and I would really appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭fits

An architect can design a house for much less than that. You wouldnt need to engage them for the full build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

So do you have planning permission? If not first step would be to ring the planners and find out first of all how likely it would be you would get planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Engage a local Architect/Engineer/Surveyor/Technician to survey site and prepare plans of what they think will get through the planning process.
    Arrange Pre-Planning meeting with local planner and have all your paperwork ready including local needs etc

Take it from there.

I don't think you will get through the planning process for 1-2k though as the above poster mentioned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Some posts deleted

No adds please

Please read the forum charter

Advertisement