Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amsterdam or Prague?

• 03-11-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Booking a 2 or 3 night break for my o/h for her birthday. She has said before in passing how she'd like to see Amsterdam and Prague at some stage. We've both never been to either so I'm just wondering which you would recommend? We're both mid-20s so not going for a pure "session". Bit of sight-seeing and a few drinks etc. Planning on going Feb/early March.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Prague is a better place to go sightseeing as nothing in Amsterdam can match the castle or oldtown

Prague is also a better place for a night out imo and alcohol is much cheaper..if you stay out of the tourist bars in city centre its much cheaper again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Been to both for work & weekend breaks on several occasions & I'd tend to veer more toward Amsterdam. It isn't that heavy on attractions & I find it's charm lies more in it being a place to stroll around and discover, rather than ticking off the major sites.

That said, there are of course the usual suspects - Anne Frank House (buy tickets online in advance), The Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Red Light District, the Begijnhof, Our Lord in the Attic, Stedelijk Design Museum, Westerkerk clock-tower, Rembrandt Huis & the Vondelpark (all worth a visit), Heineken Brewery, Flower market, Albert Cuyp market (less worthy imo).

The Jordaan area is Amsterdam at its best. It's within 5 min walk of Dam square - quirky shops, boutiques, deli's, small little bars, cafes and very good eats. It's also Amsterdam at its most walkable and picturesque.

Prague is undoubtedly beautiful, but there are times I've found it a little boring by comparison with other spots of a similar size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the replies, guys. I went with Amsterdam in the end. Going mid-February. I'll get to Prague at some stage too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Been to both for work & weekend breaks on several occasions & I'd tend to veer more toward Amsterdam. It isn't that heavy on attractions & I find it's charm lies more in it being a place to stroll around and discover, rather than ticking off the major sites.
    <snip>
    Prague is undoubtedly beautiful, but there are times I've found it a little boring by comparison with other spots of a similar size.
    jeepers, I'd nearly say that for Amsterdam.

I've been to Prague 6 to 8 times (lost count at this stage, maybe its more) and there's still places I have to check out outside of the very centre itsself, like the biggest stadium in the world (250,000 capacity or something bonkers) , the crazy looking TV tower and some other bits and pieces that I just havent got around to see yet.
    Prague is a strange mix of a fairly large nicely preserved old city, surrounded by unrelenting communist architecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Duff wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I went with Amsterdam in the end. Going mid-February. I'll get to Prague at some stage too :)

We were there last year and did the red bus tour, Heineken museum etc. We also took the tour of the windmills (30 euro each). It was a great day out. Went to windmills obviously, clog making factory and then into a little village called Marken - walked through it to the ferry which took us across to Volendam - another village. It was like something from a postcard - all the Christmas lights up along the pier. Lots of little bars and restaurants- did the cheese factory tour there and then had an hour or so free so we had a little wander. Gorgeous place IMO. If we were to go back I think we would head there for the day ourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Having been to both, I have fonder memories of Prague.
    In fact, walking through Charles Bridge at night remains one of my favourite travel moments so far...it's so atmospheric and eerie, like you are in a film.

Advertisement