Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Parking Dundrum Town Centre

Options
  • 03-11-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I live near enough and for my sins I spend quite a bit of time and money there and without fail any time I cycle there I struggle to find a space to park my bike. My guess is that a lot of people working there cycle and leave their bikes for the day which is fair enough but doesn't help those of us looking for a space for a shorter period of time.

I've sent a couple of messages on Facebook and apparently one of the managers is going to ring me in the morning for a chinwag!

I'm just wondering if many of you ever cycle to the Town Centre and if you o, have you experienced similar issues? I would have thought it would be in their interests to look after those of us who go their by bike because I think we are more likely to be heading the with the intention of buying something as opposed to those people who head out for a drive for something to do and might end up there without intending to buy anything.

I know that studies have shown the biggest spenders in cities are those who travel in by bike and the least biggest are those who travel in by car. Whilst I know this is unlikely to be the same for out of town centres, I do feel it is in their interests to cater for us cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Vel wrote: »
    I live near enough and for my sins I spend quite a bit of time and money there and without fail any time I cycle there I struggle to find a space to park my bike. My guess is that a lot of people working there cycle and leave their bikes for the day which is fair enough but doesn't help those of us looking for a space for a shorter period of time.

I've sent a couple of messages on Facebook and apparently one of the managers is going to ring me in the morning for a chinwag!

I'm just wondering if many of you ever cycle to the Town Centre and if you o, have you experienced similar issues? I would have thought it would be in their interests to look after those of us who go their by bike because I think we are more likely to be heading the with the intention of buying something as opposed to those people who head out for a drive for something to do and might end up there without intending to buy anything.

I know that studies have shown the biggest spenders in cities are those who travel in by bike and the least biggest are those who travel in by car. Whilst I know this is unlikely to be the same for out of town centres, I do feel it is in their interests to cater for us cyclists.

There is bike parking between the Tesco enterance and Elverys. Also more parking at the corner with ballay at the bottom of the lift but I don't think it's as secure.

I vaguely recall seen parking close enough to the port house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

There's parking near the Shopmobility shop on the -1M parking level underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

ted1 wrote: »
    There is bike parking between the Tesco enterance and Elverys. Also more parking at the corner with ballay at the bottom of the lift but I don't think it's as secure.

I vaguely recall seen parking close enough to the port house

Yes I know all of those but they are all always full whenever I try to find a space. Not too keen on the ones by the lifts for security, as you say

There's parking near the Shopmobility shop on the -1M parking level underground.

That's great to know as wasn't aware of that. Which entrance would be the best way to access those?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I never had any trouble parking at the lower level near the lift. Fahgettaboudit and a Kryptolok Series 2. Always plenty of parking there. Maybe it's less secure, but it's also the parking furthest away from the shops, so you'd expect it to be the least used on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Vel wrote: »
    That's great to know as wasn't aware of that. Which entrance would be the best way to access those?

Isn't SHopmobility on the 2M level? You can cycle in from the pedestrian entrance out onto the Tesco roundabout. Anytime I walk out that way there seems to be loads of space there.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Vel, great job.

I go there every now and again, usually on a Saturday and I have noticed that the most visible areas are always jammed. Took some photos a few times intending to email them to management and never got around to it.

Regardless of how much visiting cyclists spend, bike parking is a lot cheaper to provide than car parking, so in a place with that much car parking they have no excuse to not increase the bike parking provision now that demand has clearly been identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have never struggled to park my bike outside Tesco. In fact there has always been loads of space.

I don't go there terribly often, more likely to walk to LIDL in Dundrum which is closer to my house. Maybe I am more likely to go there after LIDL is closed come to think of it, so it is possible that I am only there after normal business hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The ones in the car park them selves rarely have more than 2 or 3 bikes on them. Plus it is dry, so that is a bonus.

Quick update.

I spoke to a nice manager today. He said there has been an 'explosion' in the demand for bike parking spaces. He anticipates the demand will lessen over the winter and tells me they intend to look at the issue again in the new year to see if they need to increase the spaces available.

He said there is a problem with bikes being parked long term and they intend to tag these and start removing them if it appears they have been abandoned. He said that they are about to put up notices to stop people from locking their bikes to the railings as an old lady had a fall recently due to a bike being parked at one. So in essence that may make the spaces harder to come by.

He pointed me in the direction of the parking in the car park on Level 2M which can be accessed via the pedestrian entrance.

He told me to keep him updated on my struggles (the struggle is real man!) or not to find a space so I intend to do so and if anyone else is having similar problems do let them them know and be prepared to have to message a few times before getting an answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Very good to see they are taking these things seriously, but of course, as cyclists, we have a part to play in showing a constant demand for them.

Advertisement