Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eloping in Ireland

• 03-11-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I've searched the forum but I'm still looking for some information if anyone can help me.

My partner and I are hoping to elope in Ireland.
    We are thinking Galway or Dublin. Could anyone tell me where I begin? Do I contact HSE first? Where is that office in Galway?

Also, with regard to witnesses, has anyone managed to elope without having witnesses lined up before meeting HSE? We haven't decided yet who we will tell in advance so that has some influence on witnesses.

We are looking for a very laid back day with little fuss so would love to hear from anyone who can give me any information.

Thanks
    Sleepcar
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I was looking at wedding planners online yesterday and saw that most of them arrange elopements. It might be a good route to go down as they'll arrange the paperwork, witnesses etc. I wouldn't imagine that a wedding planner would charge much for a simple elopement. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would think it is the same as not elpoping as such.. You will have to adhere to some of the basic rules with the HSE.

Pick where ye want to go Galway o Dublin.
    Pick a date or if no date is needed contact the HSE in the area and arrange a meeting. You dont need to have witnesses picked for these meeting just your birthcaert long form i think.

Sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sleepcar

Thanks a million for the replies. Very new to all this so will certainly give the wedding planners a look and get in touch with the HSE.

If anyone has personal experience I would love to hear it.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭pooch90

If you're just going to go off and do a quick registry office job I wouldn't bother with wedding planner, money for nothing.
    If you follow the steps on the HSE website, it's very handy. RE witnesses, people have asked here for volunteers and gotten someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've witnessed a few civil weddings, and each time the people getting married said they needed my date of birth and some other minor details when they were "signing up" 3 months beforehand, so I don't think you can just grab passing strangers off the street on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Thoie wrote: »
    I've witnessed a few civil weddings, and each time the people getting married said they needed my date of birth and some other minor details when they were "signing up" 3 months beforehand, so I don't think you can just grab passing strangers off the street on the day.

Nah, I don't think that's the case.
    A friend of mine got married in the Registry Office in Dublin. He asked me to be witness on the Monday and they got married on the Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭pooch90

It can all be changed on the day. For example,we used a different celebrant that when we registered. You just change it on the form and all parties initial it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

For a shorter lead in time (than the 3 months required here), you could go to the north.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We changed our witnesses on the day. The original names we put down never even knew they were on the original form. No hassle at all, especially if you're getting married in the office itself.

Advertisement