Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tragic situation involving a neighbour's cat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

My Alsatian also kills cats who come in our garden about 3 to date,but he is the best of friends with our own 2 cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Cat lover here. I don't think the dog is at fault. That's what happens when cats are let to roam.
    There are so many things that can kill them in a an urban/suburban area, including cars, dogs and other animals (I saw a coyote roaming through the hills behind my apartment complex just a few weeks ago). When you let your cat out to roam, those are the risks you take.

100% agree. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ScumLord wrote: »
    The dog we had growing up loved children, but hated really young children, and I didn't blame her, young kids would get rubbing the dog wrong and instead pull her hair or try and jump on her. It got to the point if a young kid came in the house she'd go "nope" and walk out the door. She wanted to snap you could see it in her eyes, she'd give me a look like, "get me out of here or I'm going to lose it with this kid". I think that's fair enough, what's the dog supposed to do? Just let this kid walk all over it and hurt her?

It drives me mad when people share videos of dogs and small children on Facebook; the dogs are giving off signals of 'I am uncomfortable, get me out of here' and they are not being picked up on, and eventually a dog will reach its limit and snap, at which point point the owners will wring their hands that it was 'out of the blue' and 'there was no warning' and have the dog put down as vicious and unpredictable when the reality is that the dog was desperately trying to tell them but they never bothered pay enough attention to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Cats fecking roam lads, a good few of mine went off to die on their own. Cats don't follow the fecking modern 'Disneyfied' cutesy animal syndrome people these days like to stamp on animals. If cats were a few feet taller they'd rip off your face and eat it. And I'm a cat lover too, exactly for that reason. That owner needs to let it go.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

buried wrote: »
    No it isn't. If someone can't get over a dead cat in, lets say, the space of a few weeks, say the space of a few days, then maybe cat ownership isn't such a viable option for them as a pet. They should get a pet that will outlive them, like a South American Macaw or a giant squid.

You gave it a day I believe you said; even by those standards that's a little unusual.

There's another option though. You live as you want and love as you want and be able to get over things easily. That's no issue. But let other people deal as they need to without sneering at them because you bounce back within 24hours from the loss of a pet.

And bear in mind I indicated that I am a similar sort in that way.

You gave it a day I believe you said; even by those standards that's a little unusual.

There's another option though. You live as you want and love as you want and be able to get over things easily. That's no issue. But let other people deal as they need to without sneering at them because you bounce back within 24hours from the loss of a pet.

And bear in mind I indicated that I am a similar sort in that way.

yeah I'm sure the owners are on here horrified at my sneering opinion. Unless, your the owner of the deceased kitty?

yeah I'm sure the owners are on here horrified at my sneering opinion. Unless, your the owner of the deceased kitty?

What on earth has that got to do with anything?

What on earth has that got to do with anything?

How do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Cats fecking roam lads, a good few of mine went off to die on their own. Cats don't follow the fecking modern 'Disneyfied' cutesy animal syndrome people these days like to stamp on animals. If cats were a few feet taller they'd rip off your face and eat it. And I'm a cat lover too, exactly for that reason. That owner needs to let it go.

I read that post in an aul country fella's accent and it sounded feckin great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No it isn't. If someone can't get over a dead cat in, lets say, the space of a few weeks, say the space of a few days, then maybe cat ownership isn't such a viable option for them as a pet. They should get a pet that will outlive them, like a South American Macaw or a giant squid.

Thats silly, what is wrong with mourning the loss of your pet? I love my dog and if she were to die I wouldnt spend days in bed over her death like a family members but Im sure Id always be a little bit sad and missing her from to time when I think about her, even years after she's gone. Don't see whats so bad about that, they are beautiful animals and if you treat them well then you mean the world to them, nice to appreciate them too. They are intelligent creatures with emotions just like us,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP

Don't let the the ex-cats owner bully you into killing your pet - they were in the wrong not protecting their cat from wandering & into a garden they knew had dogs. Pity the hysterical haters had to turn a dog/cat issue into dog-hating babykiller hysteria and nonsense . Your pet deserves better than death by hysterics & hypotheses - give him a big pet & don't mind your neighbour. + 1 for saying you have cctv on your garden wall now - I'd take no chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I cant believe people have said a dog should be put down for killing a cat......ffs dog kills cat,cat kills mouse,mouse.....well hes in my trap in the attic....
    maybe i should head to Switzerland to get myself put down.
    #humanrightsforanimals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats silly, what is wrong with mourning the loss of your pet? I love my dog and if she were to die I wouldnt spend days in bed over her death like a family members but Im sure Id always be a little bit sad and missing her from to time when I think about her, even years after she's gone. Don't see whats so bad about that, they are beautiful animals and if you treat them well then you mean the world to them, nice to appreciate them too. They are intelligent creatures with emotions just like us,

Of course. They are sentient beings just like us. I miss the animals I used to know when I was growing up. They all had their own unique personalties.

How do you mean?

You raised a straw man [bringing in the specific person whose cat it was, presumably implying that only one person in the world could possibly be upset at the death of their pet after a day or so*], went off very briefly on it and then came back down on a second straw man [wanting to know if some random spod on the internet is said cat-owner, despite that random spod very obviously holds different views], It was very impressive for one line.

*Yeah, she's being unreasonable. So are you though.

You raised a straw man [bringing in the specific person whose cat it was, presumably implying that only one person in the world could possibly be upset at the death of their pet after a day or so*], went off very briefly on it and then came back down on a second straw man [wanting to know if some random spod on the internet is said cat-owner, despite that random spod very obviously holds different views], It was very impressive for one line.

*Yeah, she's being unreasonable. So are you though.

Well, I'm glad you got something out of it anyways hell squirrel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've skipped ahead hear OP so apologies if.someone else brought this up.

Our dog would also chase cats out of the garden but they always escape.

Whilst you are not.in the wrong, would you be concerned this could.be a regular occurance? I don't think I could handle my dog murdering a cat in my back garden once a fortnight for example.

Perhaps it'll.never happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Dogs will kill cats. Cats will kill mice/rats, rats and mice will kill insects and on it goes.

I'm a cat lover, had a lot of them over the years but to blame a dog for killing one is ridiculous.

Yes its horrible but get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Guys, a cat being killed, in whatever circumstances, is not a ****ing tragedy.

If you think it is, you need to get out more, or you have led very sheltered lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Guys, a cat being killed, in whatever circumstances, is not a ****ing tragedy.

If you think it is, you need to get out more, or you have led very sheltered lives.

I have 4 dogs and a cat. I might not be overly upset over someone else's dog or cat but for me if one of mine died it would be tragedy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

PucaMama wrote: »
    I have 4 dogs and a cat. I might not be overly upset over someone else's dog or cat but for me if one of mine died it would be tragedy to me.

4 dogs and a cat? Fair play to you, that sounds like a lot of work. :)

So you're obviously not biased, you like both animals.

So just in the context of this debate..... Lets say a neighbours cat goes into your garden and gets killed by one of your dogs, would you put the dog down?

And lets say your cat goes into your neighbours garden who has a dog and gets killed, would you ask them to put their dog down?

I'm guessing the answer to both is no. But ney harm asking.

• Advertisement

..Even on the internet, not everything is down to bias.

Earlier, someone was accusing everyone of "against" the dog of being rogue cat lovers, or something equally daft.

Mind you, someone also wanted the OP to be put down, so...

For the record, and here are my credentials as a cat-owner (shows scratches), I don't think the dog should be put down. It was a sad thing to happen, and I would be cautious of having the dog out on walks without a lead in case he spots another one, but putting him down as a threat to children? That is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is quite an antipathy to cats that goes back a long way. A lot of people get understandably annoyed with cats using their garden as a toilet. Some friends came back from a month away to find their lawn with long grass a piles of cat poo everywhere.

There is an easy, effective humane way of keeping cats out of a garden. I have installed them & they work very well - kids have great fun too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B005MW9VOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

4 dogs and a cat? Fair play to you, that sounds like a lot of work. :)

So you're obviously not biased, you like both animals.

So just in the context of this debate..... Lets say a neighbours cat goes into your garden and gets killed by one of your dogs, would you put the dog down?

And lets say your cat goes into your neighbours garden who has a dog and gets killed, would you ask them to put their dog down?

I'm guessing the answer to both is no. But ney harm asking.

I'd say no to both because I don't think after I calmed down I'd have the heart to have a an animal put down. I've faced difficult situations with my animals. One of my dogs killed a real tame cockatiel I had. It got out of its cage (worked out how to open the cage) when I wasn't in the room and I came in and found the dog over it. I didn't have the dog put down. Another time that same dog was attacked and almost killed (only saved by emergency surgery) by another dog we had (we've rehomed the dog to a single dog house since) and I didn't get that dog put down even tho I got a bite separating them. My cat sits in our front garden. Almost every morning our neighbour lets their dog out (annoys us all by going toilet in everyone's garden) and that dog always goes for the cat. Animals are animals. Of course I'd give out if something happened. But I don't think I'd have the heart to go after someone's pet. After I calmed down. Unless it was a human that hurt my animals. Now that would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Here's an update folks.

My friend's dad approached the neighbour and offered an apology and a few quid to get a new cat and a few slabs of whiskas etc.

It wasn't a pedigree, it was a mix cat. The neighbour lives a few doors up so no chance of poison thrown over the wall as some people have suggested.

The neighbour (woman in her 40's) is still hysterical. She's still threatening legal action and getting solicitors involved.

She kept screaming how people should have animals controlled and in sight at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

dfeo wrote: »
    She kept screaming how people should have animals controlled and in sight at all times.

She must be trolling. That's priceless, given the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

LMFAO!!!!! The Total Iron!!! Priceless! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Dog most likely has scratches or scrapes, maybe bites. Bring it to the vet to get them checked out.

Then tell the neighbour there was someone in the garden with the dog in sight and that the cat attacked the dog. The dog acted in self defense.

Request the vets fee and advise her to have her animals under control and within sight in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭VladamirP

Here's an update folks.

My friend's dad approached the neighbour and offered an apology and a few quid to get a new cat and a few slabs of whiskas etc.

It wasn't a pedigree, it was a mix cat. The neighbour lives a few doors up so no chance of poison thrown over the wall as some people have suggested.

The neighbour (woman in her 40's) is still hysterical. She's still threatening legal action and getting solicitors involved.

Your better off just telling her to fcuk off, as for her screaming about animals being in sight and controlled, maybe her cat would still be alive if she followed her own advice.

Seriously you tried, I'd be done with her now, tell her to get and do what she wants, legally she can do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Or maybe just have a bit of patience and empathy. In fairness, he tried the apology- might be too soon.

The woman is grieving the loss of her pet and is just lashing out.

I would not engage at all. Let her off to her Solicitor if that's what she wants. She won't get anywhere.

I would not enter into rows and arguments with someone when they are upset like that. They are not thinking straight. There's no point in rehashing stuff. It's only upsetting everyone.

Best not to engage and let the situation calm down. There's realkt nothing to be gained by rising to it and telling her to eff off,, just avoid.

If she's reasonable she will see he tried to face up to it by calling over, but she just not seeing that just now. Time will tell.

Thanks everyone. My friend is also worried that cats may come into the garden and not get back out again, thus causing a similar situation.

People seem to have posted several times on this thread that "the cat would not have any issues getting up".

If you look at the picture in the OP, I said the trellis is LIKE but not the same as it. There are NO gaps in the trellis like in the picture, and the trellis protrudes out about 50 cm. When the cat scurries up the wall, it'll be stopped by the 50cm protruding structure.

She and her dad are worried that more cats may venture in and either be killed by the dog or end up scratching the dogs eyes or something.

They probably should have thought of this potential situation before building the trellis :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sorry but the cats shouldn't be in the garden. Obviously nobody wants an animal savaged to death but it's up the the animals owners to ensure their pet is safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Would the cats make use of those electronic chip cat flaps? Tell your friend to call to all her cat-owning neighbours and offer to get them chipped. Once a cat gets into her garden at least it has a chance of egress.
    Save taking down the trellis anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Sep23, it's LIKE it but not the same. It's the most similar one I could find. Like I said, I can only assume that the cat became trapped. The trellis protrudes out 50cm or so, so when the cat claws up the fence, it'll be stopped by the trellis and the trellis is too high for the cat to reach without a middle ground.

Seeing as your friend is upset over what happened, and would obviously not like it to happen again, why not have a middle-ground put in near the fence for any cats as an aid? Could be a bit of furniture or something along those lines.

I just googled how to keep cats out of your garden, an effective method is to get a dog.

Its very possible the cat went in there to kill itself. Cats can get fierced depressed. Some will stand beside a road looking at the traffic, judging the speed of the cars and trucks for the perfect moment to end it all. I've seen them do this. Maybe they get bored with the domesticated lifestyle and yearn for the jungles and savannahs they will never be able to live in. Maybe they don't like the weather. Its possible the cat knew well what it was getting into in that garden. They are highly intelligent animals, sometimes a bit too intelligent

Its very possible the cat went in there to kill itself. Cats can get fierced depressed. Some will stand beside a road looking at the traffic, judging the speed of the cars and trucks for the perfect moment to end it all. I've seen them do this. Maybe they get bored with the domesticated lifestyle and yearn for the jungles and savannahs they will never be able to live in. Maybe they don't like the weather. Its possible the cat knew well what it was getting into in that garden. They are highly intelligent animals, sometimes a bit too intelligent

That's a good idea, the suicidal cat, never thought of it from that angle, OP put that option to your neighbor, "Your cat killed itself because it hated you"

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

You can build whatever you want in the backyard(within planning restrictions).

If that happens to kill a cat or two then thats too bad!

They are vermin and if the owner has a problem then tell them to walk around the neighbourhood offering to clean up their crap and replant the flower beds that their little baby has just torn apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

16 pages in, I'm presuming someone has warned the OP's friend to watch out for the dog's welfare for any "treats" thrown over the fence in revenge acts right?

razorblunt wrote: »
    16 pages in, I'm presuming someone has warned the OP's friend to watch out for the dog's welfare for any "treats" thrown over the fence in revenge acts right?

Yea that was mentioned, the neighbor is a few doors away and has a bad swing so the dog should be ok.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't hurt to take a look at the trellis & see if there is a way to make it easy for a cat or wildlife to escape. This has been traumatic for the dog owner too & it makes sense to reduce the possibility of it happening again.

I would just be wary when the dog is out as she may know that it is a restricted breed. I would get a lightweight fabric muzzle just in case. The stupid law refers to cross breeds so, in effect, half the mongrels in Ireland are restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

this thread should of died within few pages,wtf is wrong with people,its like you cant even own your property in Ireland anymore,without some scum kids,animals trespassing and then for some messed up reason its OP's worry now that in His own property specially in his own back garden some fur ball that is left to roam free piss and crap wherever they want was slaughtered by dog that did his instinct job.

Should of binned what was left of the cat into organic bin and just forgotten about it,and if one noticed just tell her to f off from you private land before you let the dog out on her,since seems now law stands that one can go into anyone's yard take a dump and sue you if they get their leg broken for that :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

PucaMama wrote: »

I also own both cats and a dog, tbh if one of the cats died I'd be fairly indifferent to it but if the dog died I'd be absolutely distraught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Parachutes wrote: »
    I also own both cats and a dog, tbh if one of the cats died I'd be fairly indifferent to it but if the dog died I'd be absolutely distraught.

Awkward.

You do realise that the cats are now going to formulate a plan to kill you while you sleep?

scamalert wrote: »
    this thread should of died within few pages,wtf is wrong with people,its like you cant even own your property in Ireland anymore,without some scum kids,animals trespassing and then for some messed up reason its OP's worry now that in His own property specially in his own back garden some fur ball that is left to roam free piss and crap wherever they want was slaughtered by dog that did his instinct job.

Should of binned what was left of the cat into organic bin and just forgotten about it,and if one noticed just tell her to f off from you private land before you let the dog out on her,since seems now law stands that one can go into anyone's yard take a dump and sue you if they get their leg broken for that :cool:

Maybe, just maybe it's a sign that attitudes to animals are changing. The dog owner isn't like you because they actually care about the cat as would many dog owners.

Plus, rather than live with conflict, the OP wants to try & get on with their neighbour as we all should.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Cat lover here. I don't think the dog is at fault. That's what happens when cats are let to roam.
    There are so many things that can kill them in a an urban/suburban area, including cars, dogs and other animals (I saw a coyote roaming through the hills behind my apartment complex just a few weeks ago). When you let your cat out to roam, those are the risks you take.

Where do you live!!!! a coyote??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

At this stage OP I would just leave your neighbour to it. There is nothing legally she can do as her animal was out on it's out so she left it out to the dangers of nature.

If you're worried about the same thing happening again, is there not another wall in the garden a cat could get over? To be fair I've never seen a dog catch a cat unless completely blocked in on all sides, the cats are so fast and clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

pilly wrote: »
    At this stage OP I would just leave your neighbour to it. There is nothing legally she can do as her animal was out on it's out so she left it out to the dangers of nature.

If you're worried about the same thing happening again, is there not another wall in the garden a cat could get over? To be fair I've never seen a dog catch a cat unless completely blocked in on all sides, the cats are so fast and clever.

There might have been something wrong with the cat to be fair and the OP can't be making her/his garden more accessible to cats as that would just invite more trouble - what if the cat is too fat for the catflap/stealth escape tunnel / has a bad leg & can't climb / if the dog figures out their route and waits by handy-like for a midafternoon catsnackbox? 'My' dog certainly knows what tree the burds prefer and likes to stealth sleep under it, and the local cats know that if the back door is closed they can sit in the sun and torment the dog or lurk about to kill the birds and they will have no interruptions. They're not just soft cuddly yokes to stroke and make you feel loved - under all those blankets & tartan dog coats & slinky fur are stealthy teeth filled hungry opportunists , who no more so than you or I, enjoy the occasional challenge or trip to Mcdonalds for some forbidden fruits.

Hi Lads, quick update.

It's a terraced house that my friend lives in. There are no side entrances. The perimeter is completely sealed off with the trellis.

The cats are often walking along the tops of the trellis and flower beds tormenting the dog. I can assure you, if a cat does land in the garden again, it WON'T be getting out again given the way that the trellis is unfortunately.

I can only hope it doesn't happen for her sake and the dogs (and the whole family at that).

The only option is for the neighbour to keep her cats in or for my friend's dad to cut a section out of his trellis and elevated flower beds (they were specifically put in and custom made by a landscaper).

The latter is probably the most reasonable and fairest of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The only option is for the neighbour to keep her cats in or for my friend's dad to cut a section out of his trellis and elevated flower beds (they were specifically put in and custom made by a landscaper).

I disagree. If she wants to keep her cats out of danger then she should keep them in her own garden. Your friend's dad has the right to have his garden however he wants, he put a lot of time, effort, and money into it, I'm sure. I'm sure the death of the cat was distressing to see, but her pets are her concern, if she wants them safe she should keep them safe. To be honest I'd be inclined that if a cat should get in again and come to a sticky end to just chuck it in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Hi Lads, quick update.

It's a terraced house that my friend lives in. There are no side entrances. The perimeter is completely sealed off with the trellis.

The cats are often walking along the tops of the trellis and flower beds tormenting the dog. I can assure you, if a cat does land in the garden again, it WON'T be getting out again given the way that the trellis is unfortunately.

I can only hope it doesn't happen for her sake and the dogs (and the whole family at that).

Why don't you do a 'getting to know you session'. Let the cat and dog get to know one another. I grew up in a house with dogs and cats and there never was any conflict between them.

Ask you neighbour to bring the (new) cat to your house. Let the dog see it being petted by you and your neighbour. Let it get used to the cat. It won't take long for them to get accustomed to each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement