Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tragic situation involving a neighbour's cat

12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭VladamirP

learn_more wrote: »
    Why don't you do a 'getting to know you session'. Let the cat and dog get to know one another. I grew up in a house with dogs and cats and there never was any conflict between them.

Ask you neighbour to bring the (new) cat to your house. Let the dog see it being petted by you and your neighbour. Let it get used to the cat. It won't take long for them to get accustomed to each other.

Yea I agree, have a "get to know you session", just don't talk about the (old) cat, stick to the (new) cat, have a box of new cats behind the chair incase dog doesn't like new cat in his/her house, actually I'd say it was a her dog and the cat was a her cat (bitch and pussy), just saying......(C'mon The Donald)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Does anyone else have Right-Said-Fred singing "Poor pussy, poor pussy caaaaaat" stuck in their head?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭VladamirP

Does anyone else have Right-Said-Fred singing "Poor pussy, poor pussy caaaaaat" stuck in their head?

No I have the record, playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

dfeo wrote: »
    Hi Lads, quick update.

It's a terraced house that my friend lives in. There are no side entrances. The perimeter is completely sealed off with the trellis.

The cats are often walking along the tops of the trellis and flower beds tormenting the dog. I can assure you, if a cat does land in the garden again, it WON'T be getting out again given the way that the trellis is unfortunately.

I can only hope it doesn't happen for her sake and the dogs (and the whole family at that).

The only option is for the neighbour to keep her cats in or for my friend's dad to cut a section out of his trellis and elevated flower beds (they were specifically put in and custom made by a landscaper).

The latter is probably the most reasonable and fairest of the two.

Hedgehogs can squeeze through small spaces in a fence or climb up and down trellis. They're valuable garden animals so your friend's dad is depriving himself of their aid by making it impossible for them to include his garden as part of their territory. The landscaper should have factored in wildlife as part of the brief. A bit of a re-think seems like an idea. The current trellis/beds seem suited only to a person owning cats who wants to prevent them from roaming. A bit ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Dogs hate cats. So Get the cat a hat teach it to walk so it thinks it's people and so will the dog. Then instead of having to crawl around your dads back garden. The cat can walk around like it proper owns it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

kylith wrote: »
    I disagree. If she wants to keep her cats out of danger then she should keep them in her own garden. Your friend's dad has the right to have his garden however he wants, he put a lot of time, effort, and money into it, I'm sure. I'm sure the death of the cat was distressing to see, but her pets are her concern, if she wants them safe she should keep them safe. To be honest I'd be inclined that if a cat should get in again and come to a sticky end to just chuck it in the bin.

Yeah there's a certain point to the neighbour having to keep her cat in but there are plenty of other cats that wander, including wild ones. I'm sure OP's friend doesn't want dead cats in the garden every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

There's no legal requirement to owning a cat, no license required so as such they're viewed as wild animals .......as unfortunate as the dog killing a cat is there would be no grounds for legal comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

So an update from my friend. My friends dad, (let's call him Paul), knocked down to the house with €250 and a shopping bag filled with cat food and treats and toys.

When he knocked in, the woman's (18ish?)-year-old son answered the door, he invited Paul in. Paul chatted to the lad for a bit and told him why he was here. He gave the chap the envelope and the bag.

Just then, the woman flew down the stairs on her broomstick (she must've heard voices from upstairs) and started screeching at Paul GET OUT, GET OUT, How dare you come in here etc. She was absolutely hysterical. Her son (seemed like a nice lad from what Paul told me) tried to explain and showed her the envelope. She snatched it and told Paul to leave (without as much as a thank you).

She was screaming "I'll be keeping a close eye on my cats" as Paul walked out the driveway (whatever that means, I don't know).

Paul is now concerned if having a birdhouse might attract more cats into his garden, thus trapping another cat, so he'll put the birdhouse on the long finger for the time being, even thought it was part of his plans. The situation still seems very tense.

My friend is worried if she does get a visit from the dog warden. Lucy (the dog) is chipped, has always had a valid dog license, the garden (terraced house) is 15m long and 6 meters wide and my friend's mam who's a housewife and home most time, walks Lucy everyday, she's well look after, but the potential visit from the warden worries the family nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Paul's an idiot. And this could be a great wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP Are your friend and their father off their trolley's giving that Looney Tune €250 and bags of food for her cats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

foggy_lad wrote: »
    giving that Looney Tune €250 and bags of food for her cats?

Just to give her a few quid in case she wanted to get a new companion from the shelter or to feed her own cats etc. Just trying to defuse the situation is all he was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Just to give her a few quid in case she wanted to get a new companion from the shelter or to feed her own cats etc. Just trying to defuse the situation is all he was doing.

Wow, shelters would be amazed if anyone gave them €250 for a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Your friend has went above and beyond. That woman needs to get a handle on her cats and f**k off. As for the garden??? Why not add in an "escape route" on the wall (make it look like another feature) and go ahead with his bird table and whatever else. It's his garden!!!

Sounds like he is bending over backwards here and needs to just forget it and move on. That woman sounds like a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Your doomed

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

That will only confirm in the fruitcake's mind that your dog was 100% wrong and your friend feels so guilty they are trying to buy their way out of trouble.

Tell your friend and their father to have NO further contact with this person or anyone connected to her or it could get nasty with her. someone like her will not stop because she basically is slightly unhinged to be behaving as she is.

Your friend did nothing wrong and more importantly your friend's dog did absolutely nothing wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wouldn't encourage her to be getting another cat she couldnt mind the ones she did have

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That will only confirm in the fruitcake's mind that your dog was 100% wrong and your friend feels so guilty they are trying to buy their way out of trouble.

Tell your friend and their father to have NO further contact with this person or anyone connected to her or it could get nasty with her. someone like her will not stop because she basically is slightly unhinged to be behaving as she is.

Your friend did nothing wrong and more importantly your friend's dog did absolutely nothing wrong!

Couldn't agree more worh this and with Lexieontherails.

Your friend was in the clear. Her fault she didn't watch her pets. Idiot woman.

I wouldn't encourage her to be getting another cat she couldnt mind the ones she did have

Couldn't agree more. Your friend is a responsible per owner. She wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I now believe this has been a wind-up.

I mean, who would be stupid enough to hand a wackjob €250 for nothing?

Then again, if there are 59,949,637 stupid fookers in America, we're bound to have a few............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Then again, if there are 59,949,637 stupid fookers in America, we're bound to have a few............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

She'll start throwing her cats over the fence if you give her 250 euros!

muddypaws wrote: »
    Wow, shelters would be amazed if anyone gave them €250 for a cat.

It would cost approximately €100 even to get a cat from a shelter. This includes their injections, neutering etc.

So an update from my friend. My friends dad, (let's call him Paul), knocked down to the house with €250 and a shopping bag filled with cat food and treats and toys.

When he knocked in, the woman's (18ish?)-year-old son answered the door, he invited Paul in. Paul chatted to the lad for a bit and told him why he was here. He gave the chap the envelope and the bag.

Just then, the woman flew down the stairs on her broomstick (she must've heard voices from upstairs) and started screeching at Paul GET OUT, GET OUT, How dare you come in here etc. She was absolutely hysterical. Her son (seemed like a nice lad from what Paul told me) tried to explain and showed her the envelope. She snatched it and told Paul to leave (without as much as a thank you).

She was screaming "I'll be keeping a close eye on my cats" as Paul walked out the driveway (whatever that means, I don't know).

Paul is now concerned if having a birdhouse might attract more cats into his garden, thus trapping another cat, so he'll put the birdhouse on the long finger for the time being, even thought it was part of his plans. The situation still seems very tense.

My friend is worried if she does get a visit from the dog warden. Lucy (the dog) is chipped, has always had a valid dog license, the garden (terraced house) is 15m long and 6 meters wide and my friend's mam who's a housewife and home most time, walks Lucy everyday, she's well look after, but the potential visit from the warden worries the family nonetheless.

I think you've done all you can but I would put an escape route in the garden for cats. No-one wants to see them being killed. It only needs to be small gap somewhere, cats will always find a route out if there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

pilly wrote: »
    It would cost approximately €100 even to get a cat from a shelter. This includes their injections, neutering etc.

Which is a lot less than €250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I'm thinking the same about the windup.

Its a pity. Up until 'Paul' habded over the money it was going along nicely, purely cos it was kinda believable... Then the OP went for the money shot and blew it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem is that, if you give money or even apologise, it could be interpreted as an admission of liability. The cat owner wasn't at fault & neither was the dog owner or the dog. Accidents can happen without fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Must be coming up to the months mind for this f**king cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Bambi wrote:
    Must be coming up to the months mind for this f**king cat

Im going for pints afterwards. It's what he would've wanted.

pilly wrote: »

No wonder people don't adopt a pussy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

The neighbour needs to realize that THEY are the ones responsible for the cat's death, not you or your dog. Furthermore, if the trespassing cat were to scratch or bite your dog, they would be responsible for any vet bills you had.

Advertisement