Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I can monetise my web app

Options
  • 03-11-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

After being pissed off at various todo lists and time management programs I made my own that works differently to others. I'm now wondering if there is a way to monetise it or if it is something others would use seeing as it isn't your standard approach so might put off people. I've looked at creating a mobile version though the site works fine for me on my device. not sure if I can add the link here but it's www.naturaltask.com

any input would be welcome, positive or negative :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Would you consider selling any of the anonymised data generated off this i.e. for insights, marketing. Tasks or to do lists, could highlight problems or issues which users have? I understand you're after a clean space or to do list, so you're kind of snookered when it comes to marketing/advertising, it could be uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bt25

I 100% want to avoid advertising on the site if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Its a bit of decision point, i mean look at how evernote built there business, it was a freemium model, and while they scaled they clawed back features and started charging on more and more features.

You need to decide who is your customer, as opposed who is only a user. While users can grow your service they don't put bread on the table.

If you look at fundamentally what a task is, its a problem. Could you help lead users to completing their tasks quicker, not in an invasive way?

What are the benefits or assets of users using your service? Data, task lists, your product?

-Do you start to charge for your product?
    -Is there a way you can monetize your task lists by helping users get stuff done?
    -Can you provide insight on what tasks/problems your users have, and can you charge for that insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Freemium model would be a pretty good option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There's no option to sign up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

There's no option to sign up

Yes the first thing you need to do is sort out your home page - it's also redirecting to another URL! I'd not be signing up as it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bt25 wrote: »
    I made my own that works differently to others

No kidding.

I like the minimal sign-up process but I had to guess at how it works.
    Change the OOB Bootstrap styling, it makes the site look like a homework project.
    Some hints would be handy, relying on user trial and error probably isn't the best approach to educating users.

I can't see how you could monetise it as it currently stands. To make things worse the type of app you've picked is the goto practice project for about a gazillion dev tutorials, makes it very hard to see how you could ever monetise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

You might hate me for this, but what you have is a programming tutorial grade application, a basic outline of whatever language you are using to create the app.

Compared to Asana, what could you charge? Compared to outlook what could you charge (laptop/desktop users)?

Also user signups even for free is quite difficult, the market is swamped so even if a useful product comes along, it needs to integrate with other software they are using e.g. for a todo app = email/text contacts involved in task, sync with google calendar or outlook, etc.

But don't lose hope either, you may find something eventually that will really work, then you need to learn how to market it.

agree completely on it not being market ready as it stands. as I said it was for me that I did it but haven't put the time into making it easier for others yet as I don't know if I should bother and I'm redirecting it to my beta server cos I don't see the point in spending money on it's own server if it's just for me for now. The power of it isn't obvious, it's more subtle so would need explanation to know why it would be different from other systems so as it stands it just looks like a learning job :)

The system doesn't work like any other listing app as I wrote it after using them all and they all didn't work as I wanted it to. The question is if anyone else cares really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

You are miles off being able to monetise this. If it was a test project then leave it as is. You would need to do a lot of work to get this anywhere near ready for the market. Even then, that market is very crowded.

• Advertisement

fair enough. keep it for myself so, also anyone who tested thanks for throwing up some bugs for me to deal with :) all sorted now on them at least

Advertisement