Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught speeding twice in car

• 04-11-2016 8:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Had my bike learners license since August.
    Passed the full car test in may 2013, started innthe provisional in 2012.
    Got a speeding fine 2 months ago in the car and took the 3 points.
    Just received anotjer, in the car.
    If I take the points I'll have 6 points from car driving
    Will that ban me from the bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Points are on the license not the vehicle as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Idleater wrote: »
    Points are on the license not the vehicle as far as I'm aware.

Yes, I am worried about the total 6 points.
    I think Learners points are double or the limit is lower?
    So if I reach that learner limit do I get banned totally or just from the bike?

Does the learner permit for the bike count as a second learner permit? Got my first in 2012 and full since 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You'll need to contact the RSA to be sure, but the points do apply to the license. It sounds like the lower limit would apply to you, on the bike, so you would be banned from the bike, until the points expire.

But, like I said, you better contact the RSA for full clarification, 1890 41 61 41, quoting your driver number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Applies to your driver number, which should be the same on both licenses.

Over 7 points and you're off the bike. I believe you're also off the road entirely if you're on an N plate.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Applies to your driver number, which should be the same on both licenses.

Over 7 points and you're off the bike. I believe you're also off the road entirely if you're on an N plate.

So, it's not a ban right now as I've 6 points? Won't be on a N plate as I've a full car license.

I'll call them at lunch to verify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So, it's not a ban right now as I've 6 points? Won't be on a N plate as I've a full car license.

I'll call them at lunch to verify.

Looks like you are OK on both. You loose the bike if you get one more point but since you got the car before 2014 you can get 12

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Penalty-points/How-it-works-why-it-matters/

Insurance is a totally different matter and is not going to be cheap.

just got clarification from the number PaulW gave

And I'm held by my full license, 12 points needed for a ban.

will just be more cautious from now, 4 years with not so much as a parking ticket and 2 speeding fines in 1 month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You can only be a "Novice" once. http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Novice-Plates-Introduction/

Reading the RTA, 2014:
    PART 2

Driver Licensing

Novice driver

3. (1) For the purposes of this Act, a person who is the holder of a first driving licence is a novice driver for the period of 2 years from the date of its issue.

(2) Where, during the period of 2 years referred to in subsection (1) the person—

(a) becomes disqualified pursuant to Part III of the Principal Act or section 9 of the Act of 2002, or

(b) ceases to be the holder of a licence,

no part of the period of the disqualification referred to in paragraph (a) or the cesser referred to in paragraph (b), as the case may be, shall be reckoned as part of the period of 2 years and the date of the ending of that period shall be determined accordingly.

where "first driving licence" is defined as:
    “first driving licence” means a driving licence issued by a licensing authority to a person who has not previously held a driving licence;

My take is your first driving licence was issued in May 2013. You are no longer a novice.

Advertisement