Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anker

Options
  • 04-11-2016 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought through Amazon.co.uk an Anker 5 port USB charger 2 years ago and only 1 port is now working. I contacted Anker and they say its an 18 month warranty.

Do I have any rights at all?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's the charger that costs less than £20 I would say you got your value for what you paid. What is a reasonable life expectancy for this? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm kind of with Srameen here. Unless this was a particularly expensive or durable item, it might be at end of life. USB ports are constantly in use and are probably more likely to break.

You could try contacting Amazon Customer Service as that is where you bought the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Since the product was purchased within the EU, you have a 2 years guarantee.

From the below link, I understand that Anker offers whatever they want but Amazon is obliged to cover you for 2 years.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

YanisK wrote: »

From the below link, I understand that Anker offers whatever they want but Amazon is obliged to cover you for 2 years.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not correct.

For a start, it clearly states.
    But, after 6 months in most EU countries you need to prove that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

dudara wrote: »
    I'm kind of with Srameen here. Unless this was a particularly expensive or durable item, it might be at end of life. USB ports are constantly in use and are probably more likely to break.

You could try contacting Amazon Customer Service as that is where you bought the item.

Amazon may compensate a small amount as a gesture of good will but once it's out of warranty they insist they are not responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That piece of EU legislation was not enacted in Ireland as our consumer rights are deemed stronger.

OP, the best thing to do is to start with Amazan and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably Amazon Marketplace? Not their problem if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

dudara wrote: »
    That piece of EU legislation was not enacted in Ireland as our consumer rights are deemed stronger.

OP, the best thing to do is to start with Amazan and see what they say.

Best thing to do is just buy another.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amazon may compensate a small amount as a gesture of good will but once it's out of warranty they insist they are not responsible.

It it was a fulfilled by Amazon item then it was sold by anker and Amazon won't give any sort of partial refund as they can't for those types of orders, if it was sold/dispatched by anker Amazon also won't get involved at this late stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP you have the right to write a crappy review on Amazon.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »

No he doesn't, he got two years out of it.

About what? It was a cheap item that he used for over two years. Do you expect an indefinite life for items like this? That would hardly be seen as reasonable.

About what? It was a cheap item that he used for over two years. Do you expect an indefinite life for items like this? That would hardly be seen as reasonable.

Exactly what he should say, cheap item lasted two years. A far more useful review than one from someone who has had the item one week and is delighted with it.

Exactly what he should say, cheap item lasted two years. A far more useful review than one from someone who has had the item one week and is delighted with it.

So he gets 2 years out of his 20 pound and should leave a bad review? You're the reason I don't trust online reviews ffs.

Edups wrote: »
    So he gets 2 years out of his 20 pound and should leave a bad review? You're the reason I don't trust online reviews ffs.

You don't trust bad reviews or just all reviews? I'm not really sure what you are getting at? Are good reviews OK but honest reviews bad?

How is anyone going to know how long an item will last if all they read about how great the out of box experience was and not what happens down the road?

I've had a good few bits of Anker stuff and you can find some decent reviews from me except two items, one didn't fit (I had to drill my own mounting holes) and another I had driver problems. The one that didn't fit got a poor review two stars but the one that had drivers that crashed the OS I was using I wrote a factual review for including that I had used the card in another device with another OS and that it worked fine so four stars. Anker got back to me on both and wanted to refund me but as I actually got some use out of both items I thanked them and didn't take the refund.

You don't trust bad reviews or just all reviews? I'm not really sure what you are getting at? Are good reviews OK but honest reviews bad?

How is anyone going to know how long an item will last if all they read about how great the out of box experience was and not what happens down the road?

I've had a good few bits of Anker stuff and you can find some decent reviews from me except two items, one didn't fit (I had to drill my own mounting holes) and another I had driver problems. The one that didn't fit got a poor review two stars but the one that had drivers that crashed the OS I was using I wrote a factual review for including that I had used the card in another device with another OS and that it worked fine so four stars. Anker got back to me on both and wanted to refund me but as I actually got some use out of both items I thanked them and didn't take the refund.

But an honest review of a cheap product that lasted over two years is different to a 'crappy' review.

I don't listen to most negative reviews because if there's people leaving negative reviews because a product dared to fail after 2 year they aren't worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Why are some of you connecting the price to the expectation? A warranty is set to protect the consumer and any product cheap/expensive should be able to fulfil it.

Btw, 20 pounds for a 5-port charger isn't really on the cheap end of the spectrum. This, is a cheap one
    www.aliexpress.com/item/Quick-USB-Charger-6-Port-Desktop-High-Speed-Wall-Travel-Charging-Adapter-Hub-for-Ipad-Iphone/32724286124.html

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why are some of you connecting the price to the expectation? A warranty is set to protect the consumer and any product cheap/expensive should be able to fulfil it.

Because there reaches a point where the value of pursuing something is not worth it.

And because the small claims procedure has a cost which makes anything below that utterly not worth it.

Also, the "EU 2 year warranty" does not exist in Irish law.

Btw, 20 pounds for a 5-port charger isn't really on the cheap end of the spectrum. This, is a cheap one[snip]

There was a generous 18 month warranty. Where was it not fulfilled? He had it over two years.

BTW. Comparing to an inferior Chinese website's knockoff products is pointless.

How long do you think you should get replacements for this particular item every time it breaks??

• Advertisement
Advertisement