Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Make Up Fairy new make up brush line.

Options
  • 04-11-2016 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Anyone else underwhelmed by her announcement?! I think they look like a complete rip off of Nima brush, another Irish brand on the market. At 90 quid, I think they're extortionate. There are so many different brush lines out there at the moment, at much more affordable prices! I also thought her logo is quite childish looking, it's a far cry from SoSu's packaging. I thought it might be a fragrance at first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Agree 90 is ridiculous for a first time product where you have no idea of quality.Mac do cheaper gift sets.

Would have been better to introduce a smaller set of say 6 brushes at 40-45 euro mark with an actual usable makeup bag.

The star is silly, who would use it as a bag/pillow?? It's huge, not in a good way though!

I wonder if it is a collaboration with another well known brush brand that she is putting her name too. As she hasn't got a team behind her I wonder who is doing all the work behind it (taking orders, packing etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don't follow that particular blogger so I didn't know she had something in the pipeline. But seen it all over my facebook last night where other people were commenting and social media seemed to be going wild for them!
    I thought they looked very like Nima brushes at a glance, dirty ones at that, I don't like the colour of the hairs, they make the brushes look like they need a good wash. I personally prefer to buy brushes individually. The set of brushes seems quite pricey for something we know nothing about the quality of. But no doubt they will be snapped up for Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

frogstar wrote: »

The star is silly, who would use it as a bag/pillow?? It's huge, not in a good way though!

Totally agree, who is going to use that yoke as a Bag or a pillow! ! A useable Make Up bag would have been a much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Can you actually name the blogger please? It doesn't really make sense to have a thread about a specific blogger and not name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

The make up fairy

(Sorry if this turns out not to be allowed)

I don't follow her either but I saw make up monster retweeting a photo of them

• Advertisement

We're not normally allowed to name bloggers. I never understand why as they're in the public eye and they are also selling products to the public so they should be able to be named and discussed. If they want to be entrepreneurs and have their products out there then I feel it's only right that we can discuss their products like any other beauty products on this forum. The blogger is The makeupfairy.

Anyway, the blogger has been named and I was looking for people's opinions on what they thought of the new product on the market! Like any other product on here that is discussed. If you don't want to chat about the product that's grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I think if it's kept to talking about the product and
    Not the person/blogger mods should be ok with it? As so sue contour palette was talked about and wasn't locked or anything.

I thought it was going to be a fragrance aswell because of the name enhance. Sounds more like a fragrance then brushes/fairy wands(!). Not for me. Don't like the bag, or the bristles. Have an essence one that has similar style bristles and it's grand but quite childish! All her followers will buy it anyhow so I can see it being a big seller!

One thing I don't understand - she said there limited edition? So does that mean it's just a once of thing she is doing or is she just doing one of products? Don't get that part.

I'm unsure about the bristles myself. Not mad on the peachy colour at the top. I'm sure they will sell well. I wonder will she bring them out individually. Not sure what she means about limited edition either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Totally set up for Christmas presents! They look quite pretty but that's a ridiculous price for an unknown item.

• Advertisement

I've just realised she blocked me for saying 90 euro is ridiculous for mass produced items

Ha, saves me unfollowing I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mod note

I've deleted off-topic comments that were not discussing the product in question.

In this case, we will allow the product to be named. But this thread is for discussion of the PRODUCT ONLY. Anything else will be removed.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

frogstar wrote: »
    I've just realised she blocked me for saying 90 euro is ridiculous for mass produced items

Ha, saves me unfollowing I suppose!
    But a few people said that on Instagram and she politely replied that it works out at €7 per brush which isn't actually bad in fairness. I just wouldn't want to buy 12 of them in one go, I tend to buy individually otherwise I end up with brushes I don't need, use or have the foggiest what they're for!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But a few people said that on Instagram and she politely replied that it works out at €7 per brush which isn't actually bad in fairness. I just wouldn't want to buy 12 of them in one go, I tend to buy individually otherwise I end up with brushes I don't need, use or have the foggiest what they're for!

Exactly 12 brushes is a lot. I tend to use 5 regularly so a set of 6 would be perfect size and more reasonable. I purchased a set from eBay a while back and it was £4. They look great and quality is ok (for price) so can imagine mark up

Unless you're a MUA there's no real need for 12. 6 would be more practical and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

As I'm not 5 years old the idea of buying fairy wands does not appeal to me.

I personally thought the same. It definitely doesn't scream high end to me. It's more like something my little girl would be into...

scarbouro wrote: »
    Unless you're a MUA there's no real need for 12. 6 would be more practical and affordable.

I use about 10 brushes when I'm going out
    Foundation
    Concealer
    Powder
    Bronzer
    Blusher
    Highlighter
    Brows
    Eyeliner
    And a few shadow brushes. I don't think 12 in excessive,I wouldn't however pay 90e for a set of dubious quality brushes, I never buy online products before hearing the good and bad reviews.
    It sounds like there's a good mark up to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I just can't get over the price, €90 is mental. But then again I wouldn't have bought them no matter what price they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Just read the blog post. From instagram I expected it to have a lot more detail then it did. Was basically the same as her instagram post but with and explanation to what each brush did! I assumed she would have a bit of info of all the work that went into them and what made them so different to other brushes! And most important a video showing what they are like ie softness and thickness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Avarose31

What i dont understand is why it is being claimed that the brushes are original when they are nearly identicle to a other well known irish brush brand?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Avarose31

In fairness how different can a make up brush be...

It can be a different colour! 😂😂 plenty of colours on the colour wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spring Chick

I agree that 12 brushes is quite a lot. It would be clever if there was an option to buy the them separately (real techniques do this and it's really handy) as I know I wouldn't feel the need to buy the whole set if I only needed two or three brushes from it.

I'm also not a massive fan of the packaging, seems a bit clunky/childish to me. But then again, different strokes for different folks. A lot of people seem to be going wild for them so no doubt they will be snapped up really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

The bag is RIDICULOUS. So childish!! Looks like people are mad to buy them though. €7 isn't bad but I agree that I don't ever buy all brushes in one go. They look exactly the same as the Nima ones. Can't believe she's getting away with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Splitviews wrote: »
    She is advertising them as vegan friendly as well. Using goats hair is not vegan friendly

Where did you read that they are made from goat hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I agree that 12 brushes is quite a lot. It would be clever if there was an option to buy the them separately (real techniques do this and it's really handy) as I know I wouldn't feel the need to buy the whole set if I only needed two or three brushes from it.

I'm also not a massive fan of the packaging, seems a bit clunky/childish to me. But then again, different strokes for different folks. A lot of people seem to be going wild for them so no doubt they will be snapped up really quickly.
    I'm guessing that the option to buy individual brushes is not too far away.

If she is selling them as vegan and they're made from animal hair then this needs to be reported, what sources are their that the brushes are goat hair? Could they be synthetic goat hair?

It's a pretty wild accusation to make and potentially very damaging and unfair if untrue.

• Advertisement

Advertisement