Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Make Up Fairy new make up brush line.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Joanne has commented explaining the presale thing. She also says she didn't send hen to bloggers or influencers so that she would get honest reviews from/for customers! That's a interesting point! (Not for this thread but maybe for the #ad one! About free/prsamples and honesty!!) Didn't see a comment saying anything about them not getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

idunno78 wrote: »
    Joanne has commented explaining the presale thing. She also says she didn't send hen to bloggers or influencers so that she would get honest reviews from/for customers! That's a interesting point! (Not for this thread but maybe for the #ad one! About free/prsamples and honesty!!) Didn't see a comment saying anything about them not getting on?

No sorry I wasn't very clear there. They have had disagreements previously and wands blocked the other one on social media etc. She has spoken openly about them not getting along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The fairy wands are 15% off on Inish Pharmacy website if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I got my Fairy Wands, tried and tested and I am really impressed, I like the MUF so was happy to support an Irish business but mainly bought them because they are cruelty free. They are shorter than some brush brands but it doesn't bother me personally, they are actually quite nicely sized for popping into a makeup bag! The packaging which seems to have caused a lot of concern nation wide isn't convenient for shall we say everyday use or bringing out and about but it's a nice little piece for a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

If ye want to buy her bag separate, they seem pretty cheap! That's without the brush holder thing inside though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Fashion-women-s-handbag-shoulder-messenger-bag-Five-starshape-crossbody-bags-free-shipping/32673174626.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.20.fzxrCI&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10000025_10083_10080_10000029_10082_10081_10000028_10110_10111_10060_10112_10113_10062_10114_10056_10055_10037_10054_10059_10032_10099_10078_10079_10000022_10077_10000012_10103_10073_10102_10000015_10096_10000018_10000019_10052_10053_10107_10050_10106_10051,searchweb201603_2,afswitch_5,single_sort_2_default&btsid=715b0e5c-af15-47f1-a14a-158bf4f21169

I think JL is genuinely trying her best with the product, I didn't expect brushes from her at all. My best friend bought them and they are small enough- i think just a tad smaller than the MAC brushes but usable. Just depends on what you like i suppose. I wonder what she has in the works for the next product? I think there is a bit of competition between herself and SJ. SJ seems to be working way quicker in terms of generating a product and getting it out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    If ye want to buy her bag separate, they seem pretty cheap! That's without the brush holder thing inside though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Fashion-women-s-handbag-shoulder-messenger-bag-Five-starshape-crossbody-bags-free-shipping/32673174626.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.20.fzxrCI&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10000025_10083_10080_10000029_10082_10081_10000028_10110_10111_10060_10112_10113_10062_10114_10056_10055_10037_10054_10059_10032_10099_10078_10079_10000022_10077_10000012_10103_10073_10102_10000015_10096_10000018_10000019_10052_10053_10107_10050_10106_10051,searchweb201603_2,afswitch_5,single_sort_2_default&btsid=715b0e5c-af15-47f1-a14a-158bf4f21169

I think JL is genuinely trying her best with the product, I didn't expect brushes from her at all. My best friend bought them and they are small enough- i think just a tad smaller than the MAC brushes but usable. Just depends on what you like i suppose. I wonder what she has in the works for the next product? I think there is a bit of competition between herself and SJ. SJ seems to be working way quicker in terms of generating a product and getting it out there.

Yes, she may be working quicker at getting the new products out there, but it shows. The cheap looking clothes range says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I don't think thats the same bag. This one looks better quality? The other one is much flatter and I wouldn't call it a handbag, whereas this link is a handbag. Her one is cheap looking.

heyjude88 wrote: »
    I don't think thats the same bag. This one looks better quality? The other one is much flatter and I wouldn't call it a handbag, whereas this link is a handbag. Her one is cheap looking.

I didn't get a chance to see the bag, my friend dumped hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well the one in the link looks overpriced at 15 dollars. So it's much of a muchness anyway.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well the one in the link looks overpriced at 15 dollars. So it's much of a muchness anyway.

I havent actually seen a picture of the bag that anyone got, is there one up online? I know she heavily brushed the photos for the sale anyways, thats overly clear, it must have definitely disguised the cheapness of the bag then. i've only just had the chance to read back over the comments, can't believe it was like cardboard. my friend was interested in it anyways, she didn't even give it to her little sister so that's saying a lot. shame. could have been really successful if quality matched the actual hype she had put out there.

• Advertisement

I havent actually seen a picture of the bag that anyone got, is there one up online? I know she heavily brushed the photos for the sale anyways, thats overly clear, it must have definitely disguised the cheapness of the bag then. i've only just had the chance to read back over the comments, can't believe it was like cardboard. my friend was interested in it anyways, she didn't even give it to her little sister so that's saying a lot. shame. could have been really successful if quality matched the actual hype she had put out there.

There are pics up on the enchant by JL Instagram she also regularly shares snaps of people sending her pics of their sets.

I don't think the images she put out there are that touched up to be honest, the brushes are what you see. I am personally very impressed by the brushes but different people look for different things in makeup brushes and no two people are going to love the same set. I would prefer RT and B Canvas over many high end brushes I have ever had whereas I know other people who differ in opinion. It's like foundation it's a completely personal choice some people will love them and some people won't!

I personally thought it was really unfair that people were commenting on the product without trying it. You can't possibly know how good a makeup brush is without using it, aesthetics tell very little about the actual brush and packaging has nothing to do with how a brush applies a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be fair, love or loathe her, nobody can accuse her of not putting 100% into anything she starts. I haven't really seen any negative reviews about the brushes themselves and whether they're private labelling or not, they seem to be doing the job pretty well. The bag seems to be a pile of crap but given the target audience of these brushes (social media users) it makes a good prop in the photos, which I think was quite clever. I personally wouldn't pay that money for them but that's because I'm tight. I still admire her though because she puts so much effort into her projects and I get the feeling with her it will be quality not quantity. It's weird people waiting for her to fall flat on her face. She's a hard worker and I like seeing hard work being rewarded, whether I like her as a person or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I agree! She's not my cup of tea, but there is no denying that she is a hard worker and I wish her all the success. Hard word should be rewarded. I personally wouldn't spend the money on these brushes but fair play. A lot of people like them and that's the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 akamossy30

I got these as a Christmas present and I've only used a couple so far...don't wear a lot of make up but I'm really liking them. I don't like the bag they came in that much but that's irrelevant really. It's a good product in my opinion, works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

akamossy30 wrote: »
    I got these as a Christmas present and I've only used a couple so far...don't wear a lot of make up but I'm really liking them. I don't like the bag they came in that much but that's irrelevant really. It's a good product in my opinion, works for me anyway.

I'm glad you like them but I don't understand why you (and a lot of others too) would think the bag is irrelevant. It was marketed as a wonder product, a luxurious bag that can be used as a decoration, pillow, handbag, makeup brush holder. It is none of these.

It really is beyond me why TMF could not have supplied a standard makeup brush bag. It would have been cheaper and easier to transport to customers. It would have had an actual use rather than a throwaway product. It's not good for the environment to throw away the bag and also all the packaging that comes with it.

I do think the brushes are a good product but I just can't get over the uselessness if the bag, unless you are a 12 year old (that's a general you by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 akamossy30

frogstar wrote: »
    I'm glad you like them but I don't understand why you (and a lot of others too) would think the bag is irrelevant. It was marketed as a wonder product, a luxurious bag that can be used as a decoration, pillow, handbag, makeup brush holder. It is none of these.

It really is beyond me why TMF could not have supplied a standard makeup brush bag. It would have been cheaper and easier to transport to customers. It would have had an actual use rather than a throwaway product. It's not good for the environment to throw away the bag and also all the packaging that comes with it.

I do think the brushes are a good product but I just can't get over the uselessness if the bag, unless you are a 12 year old (that's a general you by the way)

Because I didn't buy them for the bag. I bought them for the brushes. I get she marketed the bag as a great thing but that just doesn't bother me to be honest like.

frogstar wrote: »
    I'm glad you like them but I don't understand why you (and a lot of others too) would think the bag is irrelevant. It was marketed as a wonder product, a luxurious bag that can be used as a decoration, pillow, handbag, makeup brush holder. It is none of these

That depends on who you ask though, that's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I think it's something a bit different, ya I'm not going to be carrying it out with me but it's grand on a shelf if you love your rose gold.

She marketed it as a bag/stand/pillow and I'm not sure what else and when it came out it was a novelty item, did she say a throwaway item somewhere?, which is a bit of a cop out I think!

I think if she had forgott about the star 'thing' she might have got a more different age brackets interested! That would have possibly lowered the price a little and again got more interest!

Will be interesting to see what her new products are! Hopefully she won't lose interest in her older products like other people seem to!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Spectrum have a Clam shaped makeup bag with its Mermaid Dreams collection so she might have been inspired by this (the brush colour is similar too).

https://www.spectrumcollections.com/collections/brush-sets/products/glam-clam

I received a set of the fairy wands as a Christmas present from a close friend and they are very soft and easy to work with. My favourites are the eye brushes and the contour one.

I left the bag/holder in my room in Cork when I flew back to London as I won't ever be using it.

I think she's done well for herself and I'm sure she'll be adding plenty of products to her brand over the next few months. Only problem I had with the brush launch was the 'pre-sale' rubbish. It didn't add any exclusivity to it, just confused people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Spectrum have a Clam shaped makeup bag with its Mermaid Dreams collection so she might have been inspired by this (the brush colour is similar too).

https://www.spectrumcollections.com/collections/brush-sets/products/glam-clam

I received a set of the fairy wands as a Christmas present from a close friend and they are very soft and easy to work with. My favourites are the eye brushes and the contour one.

I left the bag/holder in my room in Cork when I flew back to London as I won't ever be using it.

I think she's done well for herself and I'm sure she'll be adding plenty of products to her brand over the next few months. Only problem I had with the brush launch was the 'pre-sale' rubbish. It didn't add any exclusivity to it, just confused people.

Those brushes do look very similar alright. The clam shaped bag looks to be of better quality though and dare I say, a bit nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Laura's Views has her full review video up now, after a couple of months of use, washing the brushes etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDkt-uk0pY

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    Laura's Views has her full review video up now, after a couple of months of use, washing the brushes etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDkt-uk0pY

Really enjoyed the video - still no desire to buy them tho!!

So anyone going to buy the new pixie pout lipkits? I'd be tempted as I love diff lipsticks! But will wait for a while until there are reviews!
    One or two of the swatches on her snapchat looked a bit patchy! Others looked thick. will be interesting to see how they go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

idunno78 wrote: »
    So anyone going to buy the new pixie pout lipkits? I'd be tempted as I love diff lipsticks! But will wait for a while until there are reviews!
    One or two of the swatches on her snapchat looked a bit patchy! Others looked thick. will be interesting to see how they go!

Almost €40 for lippies that I have no experience with is too expensive. I'm quite conservative when it comes to these 'influencer' purchases though so I'm probably not their target audience! There was only 1 set of the 3 that I'd even be interested in, but certainly wouldn't spend that much money on a risk. I'd prefer to buy something more established or something that's cheap (around a fiver!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was going to try them because I like the colours of some of them when she was revealing them and I was quite intrigued. I actually love any excuse to buy a new lipstick product. Once she launched the final product though, I went right off them

1. The packaging on the box isn't great and doesn't scream high end product
    2. The design on the tubes looks cheap (Penneys) and young (teenager) and I'm a huge fan of Essence so I don't mind cheap or young products
    3. The main issue though for me is - the price.
      I get that it's alright value for the cost of each individual colour but you can't pick and chose 3 colours you like. I'd actually like a colour from each pack (Bold, Bright and Bare) but there's no way I'd spend that much money for just 1 colour I like
    I think it's a shame, she's missed the mark and I think she was quite close. That said she has legions of followers who will buy the products so she'll be grand.

I agree! I mean if you work it out, each colour lipstick comes to about 12 odd euro each if you don't count in the clear gloss. That to me is a bit expensive for something I could pick up in penneys for a lot cheaper. If I wanted something higher end, you could get something like Jeffree Star's liquid lipsticks for 18 Euro each.

For me, I just find her branding/packaging to be slightly juvenile, but as you've pointed out, her target market seems to be teens so maybe it'll work for her and I wish her luck. I just know I'd rather have something slightly more streamline and sleek in my makeup bag over something slightly juvenile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They're not for me. Then again, I wouldn't be her target market at all. I feel the whole liquid lipstick thing is very last year, and all in all I find her brand quite juvenile, yet the prices don't reflect that market. I just find nothing about the aesthetic she promotes to be in any way appleaing at all, whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The swatches and press pics look very dry and patchy, almost uncomfortable. I liked a shade or two but not enough to spend that kind of money on them.
    I really think she missed the mark with this choice of product - the market is literally saturated with established amazing products. Think Kylie Lip kits, colourpop, Jeffree Starr and LimeCrime not to mention Anastasia Beverly Hills and Kat Von Dee who also do amazing liquid lipsticks.
    Seems like a silly choice to me but I have no doubt they'll do well.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The swatches and press pics look very dry and patchy, almost uncomfortable. I liked a shade or two but not enough to spend that kind of money on them.
    I really think she missed the mark with this choice of product - the market is literally saturated with established amazing products. Think Kylie Lip kits, colourpop, Jeffree Starr and LimeCrime not to mention Anastasia Beverly Hills and Kat Von Dee who also do amazing liquid lipsticks.
    Seems like a silly choice to me but I have no doubt they'll do well.

I do feel as though SoSueMe has surpassed her in choice of products that she has released. As you say, liquid lipsticks saturate the market, especially if you consider Charlotte from Geordie Shore and Megan McKenna from TOWIE have already brought out their own liquid lipsticks too.

• Advertisement

There actually sold from the same website as charlottes ones! (Easilocks) So wonder are they from same factory?

Yea I thought v expensive aswell that why wouldn't buy unless heard a lot of good (reliable) reviews! Not ones from her fans as they would be biast! Also agree they should have been seperate!
    I'd love to be able to buy just one (if ok reviews) rather then being stuck with 3 of them!

Packaging isn't great would have got a wider market if it didn't have her face all over it! Just maybe simple gold and her Tiffany blue colours on it!

Advertisement