Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Make Up Fairy new make up brush line.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No where have I seen her say anything was goats hair, or vegan for that matter

It's on her website and instagram that they are vegan friendly. I have not heard her say or read that they are made from goat hair however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Are you sure she said it was goats hair? I don't remember hearing her say that.

I'm not a fan of this blogger but I doubt she is that stupid to say that they are vegan friendly if they are actually made from goat hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

If you ask her, she will probably block you...! That is something major if it is true. I can't say I heard it myself but I didn't watch all of her snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

scarbouro wrote: »
    If you ask her, she will probably block you...! That is something major if it is true. I can't say I heard it myself but I didn't watch all of her snaps.

If someone does ask and gets blocked for it I'd be pretty appalled.

• Advertisement

She has blocked people for commenting that they thought they were too expensive so I wouldn't be surprised!

GingerLily wrote: »
    If someone does ask and gets blocked for it I'd be pretty appalled.

I just asked her on twitter and she replied. They aren't made from goat hair.

I suspect someone just made that up to make her look silly.

What are they made of, did she say?

No never mentioned goat they are synthetic and yes handmade, cruelty free, vegan friendly and even kind to trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

posters - please stick to discussing the PRODUCT ONLY.

Also, as this thread seems to have attracted several new posters with no previous track record on Boards, I have exercised the mod right to remove their posts until they establish themselves as members of the Boards community.

Let's keep it healthy.

dudara

• Advertisement

Off topic post removed.

@DELMC - do not post in this thread again. you may also wish to disclose that you are a fellow beauty blogger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No opinion on the brushes but can someone explain to me what does vegan friendly mean? No eggs, butter or milk used manufacturing them?

Vegan would imply no animal products at all used, and/or the humane treatment of animals. Vegan products tend to be synthetic or plant-based

dudara wrote: »
    Vegan would imply no animal products at all used, and/or the humane treatment of animals. Vegan products tend to be synthetic or plant-based

I know that. I'm just not sure a set of plastic brushes and imitation leather bag are any more vegan than any other brush that doesn't use animal hair and that is probably vast majority of them.

It's more a dig at sales pitch than anything else. Unlike others I like the bag (I will buy almost anything shiny) and color scheme of the brushes. However considering my make up routine takes five minutes in the morning while trying to keep the younger one away from drawing with lipstick on shower doors I am probably not the target market for 12 brushes.

Is it a collaboration with Nima? If not then it seems like a very poorly advised product development as it is so similar to ones already on the market and frequently lauded by Irish bloggers, herself included.

I wonder how Niamh, the owner of Nima brushes feels about it? It's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw them.

I just had a look back at her posts (it took a while) because I distinctly remember her promoting Nima brushes before Christmas last year but the posts seem to be deleted. In fact if you google "bloggers name and Nima brushes" you'll see a tweet from her promoting the brushes but the link to her Instagram doesn't work as it has since been deleted.

I'm guessing that she has sourced the brushes from the same supplier as NIMA, that could explain the similairity. Perhaps a private labelling type scenario?

dudara wrote: »
    I'm guessing that she has sourced the brushes from the same supplier as NIMA, that could explain the similairity. Perhaps a private labelling type scenario?

I'm guessing the same. But she has stated that she took "3 months to get the exact colour green that she wanted for the wands", why on earth go for the sterotypical green colour associated with the nima brushes?! So ill advised

Where are they manufactured? If they're made in China what the difference between them and a standard private label brush set?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

GingerLily wrote: »
    Where are they manufactured? If they're made in China what the difference between them and a standard private label brush set?

I'd be very surprised if Nima brushes were not private label brushes.

Manufactured in Korea apparently.

You can design from catalogue picking up type of material, shape and color of handle, color off metal bits and what color metal bits to use. Any blogger that doesn't gave manufacturing facilities or doesn't at least remortgage their house for the cost of product development and outside production is with 99% certainty picking stuff from catalogue. Nothing wrong with that if the product is good but I think some might underestimate what product development from scratch would involve. A lot less glamorous bits like picking up the type of plastic, making moulds, finding manufacturer and negotiating quantities and projecting sales that will cover r&d, production, promotion and profit... Considering how saturated the brush market is it would be complete insanity to do it from scratch.

meeeeh wrote: »
    You can design from catalogue picking up type of material, shape and color of handle, color off metal bits and what color metal bits to use. Any blogger that doesn't gave manufacturing facilities or doesn't at least remortgage their house for the cost of product development and outside production is with 99% certainty picking stuff from catalogue. Nothing wrong with that if the product is good but I think some might underestimate what product development from scratch would involve. A lot less glamorous bits like picking up the type of plastic, making moulds, finding manufacturer and negotiating quantities and projecting sales that will cover r&d, production, promotion and profit... Considering how saturated the brush market is it would be complete insanity to do it from scratch.

It's like doing the last 100m and claiming you ran the marathon! Lol

So these "meetings" where they brainstorm and "work their behinds off" actually just consist of them picking a few bits from a catalogue Little Britain style "I want that one". Kinda gas

They're not the same colour though, similar but not the same. I am surprised to find that I actually like the look of the fairy wands. I'm not a fan or a follower of the blogger herself and I certainly won't be buying them as I already own the €200+ premium Sigma brush set, but I have to say I think the fairy wands are quite pretty to look at.

Oddly, given that the colours are similar, I don't particularly like the look of the Nima brushes.

Avarose31 - please do not shill again for NIMA brush in this forum.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Spectrum brushes are pretty similar to! One set even has a bag shaped as a shell same material as the star! More then likely private label but they seem to be doing v well for her! From looks of it will be in shops soon!

sold out twice so far so seem like she will do good. She saw an opening and took it fair play to her!

Private labeling seems to be all the rage at the moment. I don't see anything wrong with it but be a little more truthful about the process. Why make it out that you have made the product from scratch when that's not exactly true.

I'm sure Nima are private labelling too but what I don't understand is why pick a colour that's already linked to someone else's established brand on the market?

• Advertisement

I also don't get the "they were sold out in 12 minutes" lark. How many were actually available?! I reckon they only have a tiny amount to sell and that's why it looks so impressive that they sell out quickly. There's no way she'd sell out of large quantities in that time.

Advertisement