Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Make Up Fairy new make up brush line.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And on that note, I can't see how one can really comment on a product that nobody has used yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

And on that note, I can't see how one can really comment on a product that nobody has used yet.

There is no need to be smart or cheeky. I was only mentioning it so you don't get this thread locked for speaking about the blogger.

Of course you can discuss the product. We're chatting about how it looks visually, packaging ect. I'm sure people who have bought it will dicuss it further when they have used them properly. If you have nothing to say about the product then maybe move along.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Dudara has been clear multiple times in this thread - please discuss the product on hand. If you want to bitch about someone, you can take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

scarbouro wrote: »
    I also don't get the "they were sold out in 12 minutes" lark. How many were actually available?! I reckon they only have a tiny amount to sell and that's why it looks so impressive that they sell out quickly. There's no way she'd sell out of large quantities in that time.

Exactly I don't believe that as sale went on at 8pm and then sold out after 9. I know there were issues online. I don't get this pre sale thing either and then 'trying' to get more stock to accommodate those poor souls who missed out. You already have the stock there so just sell it! It really is a deceiving marketing ploy

I never really heard of nima brush before but they are very similar. I doubt the makeup fairy was trying to rip them off but chose the colour because it is her favourite colour. She has always said that Tiffany blue (or green?!) Is her favourite colour. I feel sorry for Nima as market is so small but I prefer the nima ones as the bag is actually pretty and usable. Either way it was a dangerous tactic of fairy Wands to use the same colour. I did see a response on another platform where she answered the similarity question and she said that they are totally different :)

I don't see much blogger support for the fairy Wands? Thought a few bloggers would have been sent them to review at this stage but haven't seen anything yet bar a couple of one line congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I also don't get the "they were sold out in 12 minutes" lark. How many were actually available?! I reckon they only have a tiny amount to sell and that's why it looks so impressive that they sell out quickly. There's no way she'd sell out of large quantities in that time.
    I am pretty sure you have to pay up in advance for the stuff so why would you bother with huge first batch. As long as it doesn't take too long to restock it should be ok. You can see the interest, create some buzz and hopefully good reviews will also help. I think some criticism is a bit unfair and it's a lot easier to be snotty about something than risk your own money trying to sell something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's the same technique that Kylie Cosmetics use. They only release very small amount each time for sale and then when it sells out quickly it creates the myth that they are very hard to get and this creates more hype and people want them more. Her "we are trying to source more for those who were disappointed" is bs, there were always more brushes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is it the same case in the UK? Like the likes of Fleur and Tanya Burr, would their products all be subject to private labelling also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

anna080 wrote: »
    Is it the same case in the UK? Like the likes of Fleur and Tanya Burr, would their products all be subject to private labelling also?

I don't know about those but I would suspect unless someone is making organic face creams from bog soil and similar it's probably just rebranded stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

anna080 wrote: »

They are definitely working with a manufacturer who is already making similar products.
    The Kylie Jenner products are supposedly made in the same place as Colour pop, but it does sound like she puts a good bit of work into product colour selection, packaging, formula refinement etc.
    Makeup geek seems to be one of the only bloggers thats fully involved with the actual product development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Wasn't a huge fan of the Make Up Fairy initially but have to say in the past 6 months or so I've really gotten to like her I admire how hard she has worked on her body transformation she looks amazing and she clearly works really hard on anything she does.
    Was a little underwhelmed too by the product announcement and have to say the first thing that came into my mind was wow they are the same as the Nima brushes! I know they are not the exact same shade and the metal colour is different etc but god they are fairly damn similar I know if I was the person behind Nima I would be disappointed. I know it's her favourite colour (something that she mentions a lot) but still it's kind of poor form to go that close to an existing Irish brand. Not a fan of that colour myself think they (and the Nima brushes) look a bit childish. If they were black with rose gold metal I'd be shouting take my money :D And yes the big pillow star is a bit impractical a normal case would have been good and maybe have the star shaped one as a special edition option for Christmas gifts if people wanted the option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They are coming into pharmacies shortly, I seen a local pharmacy advertising it yesterday and you can preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Rant up on instagram and snapchat about why fairy wands are the colour they are this morning

She's obviously getting a lot of stick over the colour and the similarities to the Nima brush line. Nima has put up a few digs too on their social media sites so it has annoyed the creator of Nima. The Irish market is so small, it was definitely going to annoy some people about the colour.

Are there any actual reviews out there yet? I thought at this stage some bloggers would have been gifted a set to review bit can't see anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Don't know if was mentioned but evoke.ie did an article on how similar Nima and the fairy wands are
    http://evoke.ie/style/beauty-buzz/joanne-larby-nima-brushes

No, I haven't seen any distributed yet which is strange. Usually they are the first to receive them... Then again, A lot of bloggers are already associated with brush brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

frogstar wrote: »
    Are there any actual reviews out there yet? I thought at this stage some bloggers would have been gifted a set to review bit can't see anything yet?

Even though if they had shown them I don't know would I believe it! They are hardly gonna put down their friends product! Agree she shouldn't have said anything!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thread locked for mod review and will be reopened in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread re-opened following clean up.

For the final time - please stick to discussing the product only.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm not a fan of said blogger so wouldn't purchase the product anyway, but I really think the actual name 'Fairy Wands' is very childish. Now I'm in my thirties so probably well above the target range anyway, but I asked my friend's 15 year old daughter what she thought and her reply was that they looked like something a 10 year old would buy in Claire's Accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I would love to see an honest review on these. I presume it's synthetic hair but I don't see this listed anywhere.

Sometimes I find synthetic hair brushes hard to use with powder products if they are too soft and cheap quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I would love to see an honest review on these. I presume it's synthetic hair but I don't see this listed anywhere.

Sometimes I find synthetic hair brushes hard to use with powder products if they are too soft and cheap quality.

They are vegan so therfore synthetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I find it funny that she's using the fact that the brushes won't look dirty because they're already coloured as a selling point. They definitely look dirty already! I have my brushes in a pot on my vanity table, having those peachy coloured heads sticking up out of the pot would drive me crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I do think the price is quite high. I know that when the brushes are broken down to 7 euro individually it's okay, but considering they just look like any old brush that's under a private label, I just think it is too much ESPECIALLY as currently you can only buy them in the full set.

Wayne Goss' brushes are expensive but at least you know that he has physically made decisions on the shape, type of hair and the ferrule etc. He also explained in detail why he made the decisions. It seems to me that she just picked these out of a catalogue.
    I know his brand airs more on the luxury side, but in my opinion, her items seem to be economy standard with a luxury price point and I think it should be the other way around imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Just saw a review. Not very good one either! Heard there was one on snapchat so added the person to see and she wasn't very impressed. They look really small. She actually said she is returning them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

idunno78 wrote: »
    Just saw a review. Not very good one either! Heard there was one on snapchat so added the person to see and she wasn't very impressed. They look really small. She actually said she is returning them!!

Can we name the person who gave the review? I personally can't see why not assuming they are giving an honest review of the product, good or bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't allowed. After all the discussion it would be good to hear a real life review from someone who actually held the product in their hands to get an idea how they apply product etc.

I just guessed who it could be and was right. Don't follow this person but did see her post on Twitter / FB previously

Clare with the hair

I actually like smaller brushes as I find full sized ones difficult to use, esp on eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

frogstar wrote: »
    I just guessed who it could be and was right. Don't follow this person but did see her post on Twitter / FB previously

Clare with the hair

I actually like smaller brushes as I find full sized ones difficult to use, esp on eyes

That was a rather damning review from her but maybe the brushes themselves will perform well.

To be fair the brushes she was using to compare for size were quite tall. I have that same spectrum brush she showed and it's far taller than any of my full size sigma face brushes.

Edit to add that tall brushes are a pain if you're traveling as I find the hair gets squashed against the ends of makeup bags and leave them out of shape. The smaller size handles wouldn't necessarily bother me as long as the heads were full size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Very harsh review by Clare especially since she didn't even try them.

Advertisement