Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Make Up Fairy new make up brush line.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Small brushes are handy alright but you would expect to pay a lower price for them? I assumed they were standard size.
    Would like to see them by a mac brush or RT as I would consider then normal sized. The one she showed alright did look quite big but they did still look small as in headwise.
    I think it was more so the 'bag' she was v disappointed in. If I paid 90quid for something I would expect it all to be as luxurious as it said it was!! Maybe if the bag wasnt what it was and it was all focused on her brushes her opinion might have been different? Like the bag being what it was just made her not like the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

idunno78 wrote: »
    Small brushes are handy alright but you would expect to pay a lower price for them? I assumed they were standard size.
    Would like to see them by a mac brush or RT as I would consider then normal sized. The one she showed alright did look quite big but they did still look small as in headwise.
    I think it was more so the 'bag' she was v disappointed in. If I paid 90quid for something I would expect it all to be as luxurious as it said it was!! Maybe if the bag wasnt what it was and it was all focused on her brushes her opinion might have been different? Like the bag being what it was just made her not like the rest?

I never expected the bag to be anything other than hideous and it didn't disappoint imo :pac:

I think it's hard to tell yet if the brushes are in fact miniatures or not, would have to see more of them really to say. The eye brushes look to be a normal full sized length, I would expect them to be noticeably shorter if the brushes were mini. I'm not convinced they are mini based on Clare's first impression. The bristles not being as dense or fluffy as another brush doesn't necessarily mean they are mini or travel size. I guess we'll get a better idea as more reviews go up. It's somewhat interesting to watch but I definitely won't be buying myself as I already have far too many brushes for one face, but I wouldn't write them off based on this first look st them.

The bag is awful though, what was she thinking?! It's so big and awkward, how would you even store it if you wanted to keep it. It'd be going straight in the bin as far as I'm concerned. A Real Techniques style fold over hard case or a brush roll would be so much more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Not a huge Make up Fairy fan, she's just not my style. But that review was ridiculous. I followed the blogger that reviewed them to see what she said and I'm unfollowing her straight away. She didn't even use them she basically just bashed how they looked. I would never pay €90 for the fairy wands but that review was just awful. To me it seemed like that review was for shock value and to get extra followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

That was a rather damning review from her but maybe the brushes themselves will perform well.

To be fair the brushes she was using to compare for size were quite tall. I have that same spectrum brush she showed and it's far taller than any of my full size sigma face brushes.

Edit to add that tall brushes are a pain if you're traveling as I find the hair gets squashed against the ends of makeup bags and leave them out of shape. The smaller size handles wouldn't necessarily bother me as long as the heads were full size.

I use Zoeva as they have short handles, my sigma ones were too annoying and long, nothing wrong with short handles in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Wellyd wrote: »
    To me it seemed like that review was for shock value and to get extra followers.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. She doesn't have a big following at all. It's very obvious that she's bought her fb likes so she's probably just trying to get her name out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ah here she didn't even try the brushes out. Seems like she bought them just to be able to give out about them. One thing I noticed from her order picture is that shipping was €8! Madness. Takes the total to almost €100. No way on earth are they worth that. To me they look like kiddies make up brushes from Claire's.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. She doesn't have a big following at all. It's very obvious that she's bought her fb likes so she's probably just trying to get her name out there.

I only heard about her before as she had a barney with another blogger on Twitter over an award (the other blogger won - is well liked on this site. Agree it was for Shock value. But it did make the bag look more ridiculous with the brushes in it. Really should have went for a portable one or cylinder one for desk. Would hate after paying 100e that I'd have to bin the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I hope she is not that pathetic to do that? Quite a horribly thing to do if it is! Put someone down just for likes and followers! Never even entered my head that could be a reason! Did any of you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

The bag looks extremely cheap and makes the whole product look cheap! For €90 you would expect more, a lot more.

I know people are saying she should review them after using them but if she wants to return them there's no point sending a used set of brushes back. If I opened something I bought and I didn't like the look or quality of the product, especially for that price, I would be sending it back too.

• Advertisement

scarbouro wrote: »
    The bag looks extremely cheap and makes the whole product look cheap! For €90 you would expect more, a lot more.

I know people are saying she should review them after using them but if she wants to return them there's no point sending a used set of brushes back. If I opened something I bought and I didn't like the look or quality of the product, especially for that price, I would be sending it back too.

Just reading twitter and Joanne has said that the bag is a novelty free item instead of throw away packaging. Which to be fair, makes sense as nobody would actually use a bag like that for brushes.

I don't think it's fair to just judge the brushes on the bag/packaging.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Just reading twitter and Joanne has said that the bag is a novelty free item instead of throw away packaging. Which to be fair, makes sense as nobody would actually use a bag like that for brushes.

I don't think it's fair to just judge the brushes on the bag/packaging.

A free novelty item! Seriously, spending that amount of money on a set of brushes, why not package them in something you can actually use then?! They might as well be wrapped up in paper tissue if that's the case.

I don't follow the blogger who reviewed the brushes but don't forget she bought these with her own money, she wasn't gifted them. She didn't like the quality or look of the whole thing so she's sending them back.

I wonder if she'd been gifted them would her review have been more positive?

Maybe it would have been! I suppose this is the whole argument of trusting bloggers who get everything sent to them for free and their reviews are only brilliant v's a blogger who pays for something with their own money..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

scarbouro wrote: »
    Maybe it would have been! I suppose this is the whole argument of trusting bloggers who get everything sent to them for free and their reviews are only brilliant v's a blogger who pays for something with their own money..

On the hand, any blogger who reads this thread would know that a lot of people are unimpressed by the look of them. If I wanted to do something to get views I think giving a harsh review of these brushes would be top of the list - just an opinion.

Bloggers are being influenced on both sides.

I don't get her saying that? When they were launched she called it a luxurious handbag, cushion, brush holder, display case and somewhere to dry them! That's isn't really novelty is it? Wonder will it be sent to other bloggers?

Maybe that was what the blogger set out to do, I'm not sure but you could see for yourself how badly the whole thing looked! It was extremely cheap looking. She was correct, the bag was crap. Now, I'm looking forward to hearing a review on the brushes themselves but I can totally understand why she wants to send them back and get her money returned.

The snaps have been deleted and she's asking people on twitter to delete their tweets which reference them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Were free sets not sent out to other bloggers? Usually ones are sent out before Joe Public can buy them to spark interest. I haven't seen one blogger mention them, bar one wishing her good luck. I think a few bloggers say they only post reviews of products they really like [or get well compensated for] and not for products they didn't like so either they haven't been sent a free set or their silence speaks volumes..

I'm guessing she was pounced upon by TMF's lynch mob. She's on Twitter now going totally OTT with the apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But if she posted an honest review of the brushes why should she feel she has to remove it or apologise for it. She should be able to write a review she can stand over. I haven't read the review by the way to get the tone of it (I can't find it anywhere, I'm guessing she's deleted it).

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But if she posted an honest review of the brushes why should she feel she has to remove it or apologise for it. She should be able to write a review she can stand over. I haven't read the review by the way to get the tone of it (I can't find it anywhere, I'm guessing she's deleted it).

Ya she has since deleted it and in fairness I think she jumped the gun a bit and was a bit OTT. She just compared them to other brushes that she already has instead of judging them in their own right. The bag is pants tho she should stand by that.

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm guessing she was pounced upon by TMF's lynch mob. She's on Twitter now going totally OTT with the apologies.

The apologies are kinda embarrassing, was it her honest opinion or not. If that's what she really thinks then why is she apologising, is it not acceptable to give an unfavourable opinion now on products you don't like. She didn't do herself any favours how she went about the review, if you could call it that. Even people who don't support TMF were appalled. Looks like Clare has caused a whole lot of hassle for herself and it doesn't give any credibility to her reviews going forward. Lesson learned by CWTH today I'd say.

Very strange her apologising and taking snaps down. Just read them tweets and don't get it at all? Wonder did she get a word in her ear or what happened? Something we will never know I guess!

TMF said that she hopes CWTH can learn to love them, I don't fancy her chances of getting a refund :P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

I wonder is it me but everytime a blogger releases something, other bloggers start showing loads of the same product from a different company.
    When one released a contour kit, others were doing demos of a different one.
    When brushes were released, a blogger was highlighting a discount of a 12 brush set (a far more affordable one with a useful case) and talking through each brush though she has done that loads in the past.
    I wonder do they really support one another at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I wonder do they really support one another at all.

It is business at the end of the day. I'm sure publically yes they want to be seen to be supportive but behind closed doors it's cut throat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Saw the snaps before they were deleted. Can't believe the quality of the bag, it looks so cheap! The brushes themselves looked fine and I don't think it was fair of her to do a review without mentioning anything about the actual brushes rather than their size. Definitely doesn't look like it's worth the guts of 100 euro though!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why is it jumping the gun? She paid 98 euro for the brushes and delivery. They arrived and she was right, the bag was tacky and cheap and she was disappointed. I would be too. She had paid almost 100 euro, she had every right to expect them to meet some sort of expectation. She wasn't happy with the quality of the bag, or the size of the brushes, compared to other reputable brands she had purchased. She's well within her rights to return them. She can't expect a refund if she has used them, and 100 euro is a lot to spend to review a product you're unhappy with before you even start. I saw the snaps and then unfollowed her but TBH I don't get why people are saying she's harsh. I took it that she was disappointed and felt like she wasted her money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

TMF said that she hopes CWTH can learn to love them, I don't fancy her chances of getting a refund :P

If you buy online without being able to see the quality of what you're buying, isn't T here a window where you're legally protected if you decide to return them if they're not a single expected?

Advertisement