Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Make Up Fairy new make up brush line.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

anna080 wrote: »
    Why have you such an awful tone? Anyway you actually quoted me initially and I never stated that they were used/open. But she's entitled to open the box and say "these don't look as I had wanted/expected for the price", and return them.

@anna080 AND other posters - let's not make things personal! If you have a problem with a post, please use the Report Post function. Don't get into it on thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

dudara wrote: »
    That's in the case of a contract cancellation, which is not quite what's being discussed here.

If you return something that was purchased online, as a "change of mind" or simply because it's not right, then you can be liable for the cost of delivery/return. You do not automatically have a right to a full refund. That's the risk you take when shopping online.

However, if the goods are faulty, or somehow breach your consumer rights, then you are entitled to have all costs refunded to you.

And is a sales contract not a contract? A contract doesn't only exist for services. When you purchase something online (and instore for that matter) you are entering in to a sales contract. When you invoke your rights under the distance selling cooling off period you are cancelling that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

And is a sales contract not a contract? A contract doesn't only exist for services. When you purchase something online (and instore for that matter) you are entering in to a sales contract. When you invoke your rights under the distance selling cooling off period you are cancelling that contract.

There's a marked difference in cancelling a contract before it's shipped and cancelling it once you've recieved the item and decide to return it.

That's in the case of a contract cancellation, which is not quite what's being discussed here.

If you return something that was purchased online, as a "change of mind" or simply because it's not right, then you can be liable for the cost of delivery/return. You do not automatically have a right to a full refund. That's the risk you take when shopping online.

However, if the goods are faulty, or somehow breach your consumer rights, then you are entitled to have all costs refunded to you.
    There's a marked difference in cancelling a contract before it's shipped and cancelling it once you've recieved the item and decide to return it.

Please see final paragraph, it's clearly referring to items purchased as well as services. It's a UK webpage but the EU directive is obviously the same as we're all still in the EU:

And here again, from McCannFitzgerald sols clearly referring to a product:

http://www.mccannfitzgerald.com/McfgFiles/knowledge/4521-Consumer%20Rights%20and%20Wrongs%20-%20Briefing.pdf

Enhanced Refund Rights
    A trader will have to refund a consumer for the product (including the costs of delivery) within 14 days of the consumer withdrawing from the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Gah, apparently they've arrived in Galway but Headford!
    I'm not buying them, I only want to see what they look like. I got No 7 brushes for Xmas last year that I still haven't used half of and the bag is really weird looking, what was she thinking?
    Why bloggers in their 30s seemed to be obsessed with unicorns and mermaid stuff I can't understand.

You can get your original delivery charges refunded. However, you bear the cost of the return (unless the supplier is good enough to offer free returns).

From Citizen's Information
    Cooling-off period
    You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.

In the case of digital content, the cooling-off period expires when the downloading or streaming starts.

During the cooling-off period, you can cancel a distance contract without giving a reason and without incurring charges or penalties, other than possible charges incurred in returning the goods.

If a trader fails to provide you with information on the right to cancel, the cooling-off period is extended to 12 months from the date it would have expired if the information had been provided. If the trader provides the information within this 12-month period, the cooling-off period expires within 14 days of the consumer receiving it.

Cancellation
    To cancel the contract, you must inform the trader of the decision to cancel using either the prescribed cancellation form, or some other method, before the cooling-off period expires. There is no requirement to give a reason for cancelling. If there is a dispute, it is up to you to prove the cancellation was carried out correctly.

You must send the goods back within 14 days of informing the trader of the cancellation. You have to pay for the cost of returning the goods unless you were not informed before ordering that you would have to bear the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Gah,
    Why bloggers in their 30s seemed to be obsessed with unicorns and mermaid stuff I can't understand.

Ha, I never understood the unicorn fascination at all. Like grow up!

I don't get why the blogger who wants to return the brushes is asking Snapchat and not the makeup fairy directly. She was tweeting the makeup fairy publically when she was called out on her review. I really do think it was done for publicity/shock value even though she says she wasn't. Don't buy that.

But to not have details on returns is poor form and I would have thought breached consumer rights

frogstar wrote: »
    But to not have details on returns is poor form and I would have thought breached consumer rights

The probable reason is that this is early days for her in terms of product sales, and she simply hasn't prepared for this eventuality.

You can get your original delivery charges refunded. However, you bear the cost of the return (unless the supplier is good enough to offer free returns).

From Citizen's Information

Yeah, I do believe that's what I said. I never made any reference to the cost of returning the items.
    That clarifies why the delivery documents that come with River Island online orders refer to 14 days instead of the 28 or 30 days you get of you buy in store. I've wondered about this but never looked it up. Thanks.

On the up side it appears that delivery costs (at standard rate) are actually refundable, so assuming the €8 is the basic delivery option you'd get that back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought the bloggers would be all these

I kind of respect how she didn't send them out to bloggers for review. Nothing more annoying than seeing them fawn over their buddy's new product only for it to disappear into their ikea drawers and never to be seen again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I kind of respect how she didn't send them out to bloggers for review. Nothing more annoying than seeing them fawn over their buddy's new product only for it to disappear into their ikea drawers and never to be seen again.
    Maybe thats why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

From what I can gather from the (very) few bloggers I know from work, I think there's a lot of loyalty with Niamh from Nima

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

From what I can gather from the (very) few bloggers I know from work, I think there's a lot of loyalty with Niamh from Nima

Sure the beautiful truth has a discount code for them at the moment, and I highly doubt it's a coincidence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

Sure the beautiful truth has a discount code for them at the moment, and I highly doubt it's a coincidence :pac:

I just don't think there's any truth to this – I think that Nima is probably doing a promotional push before Christmas, and I don't think JL sent out any samples because it was a presale limited edition.

I honestly don't think that there are any sides to be taken in this game... at least not among bloggers! There's plenty of room for different businesses, and sure there are loads of people making brushes / palettes / lipsticks etc, there's no reason that there'd be any divide tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

The probable reason is that this is early days for her in terms of product sales, and she simply hasn't prepared for this eventuality.

I would be surprised if she hasn't engaged the services of a solicitor prior to going to market though. They should have her fully briefed on any issues around contracts/sales and her responsibilities as a product provider.

Has anyone here actually used the brushes? I'd be interested in hearing a review on how they compare to other similarly priced brushes. I think it will take some time for useful reviews to start popping up ie. when people have used them daily and washed them a couple of times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

onthemitch wrote: »
    I just don't think there's any truth to this – I think that Nima is probably doing a promotional push before Christmas, and I don't think JL sent out any samples because it was a presale limited edition.

I honestly don't think that there are any sides to be taken in this game... at least not among bloggers! There's plenty of room for different businesses, and sure there are loads of people making brushes / palettes / lipsticks etc, there's no reason that there'd be any divide tbh.

There's plenty of room for different colours too but they're the exact same!
    And as for pre sale limited edition, Cocoa Brown's Shampoo and Conditioner and the Goddess Oils were marketed as limited edition yet all the main bloggers were sent them.
    I don't buy into the whole limited efition anyway, and OMG sold out in 10 minutes, we'll try and source more from the catalogue they were picked from. It's such a strategy in order to get pharmacies to order them in or try to make yourself look popular in case the UK/US are watching.

As an aside on lipstick, Mariah for Mac looks fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I don't buy into the whole limited efition anyway, and OMG sold out in 10 minutes, we'll try and source more from the catalogue they were picked from. It's such a strategy in order to get pharmacies to order them in or try to make yourself look popular in case the UK/US are watching.

Yea I think this to! Definitely a marketing ploy! Get people interested. Don't understand them being LE either. There was no mention of that until the day they went on sale I think it was. I reckon it was to weigh up interest and maybe she put her order in based on the presale possibly and then a few extra for the pharmacys that contacted her? Use the money from the presale to buy them with? Maybe she is using her own money and has no backing!? This is purely my thoughts don't know is it true or not!
    As one of the other posters said it's in a few weeks after being used and being washed is when the reviews will probably happen! People won't know wil they get a proper run at them what they are really like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This is ot and may get deleted but I have to say I really admire the way she has changed her body over the last couple of years. Just looking at her article in the indo today, well looking at the picture more so than the article, the difference is impressive. No matter what I think of her social media I can't deny that I'm impressed at her hard work on the gym and healthy eating front, she now looks strong and lean and has not gone for the skinny look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I might be reading too much into it but the blogger who initially reviewed them is asking about legislation around calling something vegan. I wonder if this is the route she's using to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I might be reading too much into it but the blogger who initially reviewed them is asking about legislation around calling something vegan. I wonder if this is the route she's using to get a refund.

You would think tmf would just give the refund. She didn't use the brushes and wasn't happy with the quality. If she has contacted tmf I wonder what she has said re refund. It should be a simple process

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Charlotte Crosby of Geordie Shore fame has released her own make up brand called Flique. Her brand includes a range of brushes that are identical in shape and style (though not colour) to the MUF ones, and hers are also vegan and cruelty free. What a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Charlotte Crosby of Geordie Shore fame has released her own make up brand called Flique. Her brand includes a range of brushes that are identical in shape and style (though not colour) to the MUF ones, and hers are also vegan and cruelty free. What a coincidence.

Jese I dunno they look different to me (other then obvious colour differences!!). Less brushes and a lot cheaper so I couldn't image them being the same? (O/T Her eyeshadoes are ridiculous expensive!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

WhiteRoses wrote: »

I also think the contour palette is the exact shades as the sosu contour palette

Any link to Charlotte's brushes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

All of these generic make up brushes all look the same to me tbh.

• Advertisement

onthemitch wrote: »
    Weird, I was so sure it was 30 days – so that's good to know!

When it comes to delivery, though, I'm 99% sure you're only entitled to a refund of your delivery costs if the goods are faulty.
    GingerLily wrote: »
    Yes this! You're responsible for the shipping both ways for a change of mind return.

Interesting article in the Daily Mail today which reiterates that the above information is inaccurate just in case there was any lingering doubt. Might be relevant now again that the brushes were available for order again this week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-4030572/How-Britain-s-biggest-shops-pocketing-delivery-fee-refunds-unwanted-items-pocketing-4-1bn.html

Advertisement