Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest Spring Marathon

Options
  • 04-11-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

The comedown from DCM has started and the search for the next target is on. I'm looking into either Barcelona, Manchester or Rotterdam. The fear with Barcelona and Rotterdam is the heat. Anyone have any recommendations which is the fastest? I've done all my research on the various threads but can't find anything that compares the Spring options. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I don't have any experience with Manchester or Barcelona but I did Rotterdam in April and couldn't speak highly enough. I hope to make it back some day. Really enjoyed it and very easy to get to. I would say that the course is fast and has reasonable support for most of it. It was warm on the day, no cloud cover. I know a couple of people who did Barcelona and struggled with the heat and I don't think it is as fast as Rotterdam but I could be wrong. Also know people who did Manchester and really enjoyed it. Doing Paris myself which is supposed to be reasonably fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

paulers06 wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with Manchester or Barcelona but I did Rotterdam in April and couldn't speak highly enough. I hope to make it back some day. Really enjoyed it and very easy to get to. I would say that the course is fast and has reasonable support for most of it. It was warm on the day, no cloud cover. I know a couple of people who did Barcelona and struggled with the heat and I don't think it is as fast as Rotterdam but I could be wrong. Also know people who did Manchester and really enjoyed it. Doing Paris myself which is supposed to be reasonably fast.

+1 to this, I did Rotterdam also this year. Found it a fantastic experience overall and the Dutch people were very supportive on Marathon day. I didn't find it hot like paulers06 but that is down to personal opinion I suppose. It's a fast, flat route also. Regardless of the marathon, weather is always the one factor you can't control, luck of the draw on the day. I'll tell you about Barcelona after March 12th 2017!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

tang1 wrote: »
    +1 to this, I did Rotterdam also this year. Found it a fantastic experience overall and the Dutch people were very supportive on Marathon day. I didn't find it hot like paulers06 but that is down to personal opinion I suppose. It's a fast, flat route also. Regardless of the marathon, weather is always the one factor you can't control, luck of the draw on the day. I'll tell you about Barcelona after March 12th 2017!!

+1,
    I ran this earlier this year and found it a great marathon, the heat can be a factor for some people and although I found it hot its wasn't unbearable. There are sponges provided around the course which are great for keeping you cool. The support and party atmosphere is also wonderful and I hope to return to it again one day. After party is pretty good too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I'm tempted to do another marathon in the spring. Probably won't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I did Manchester last year and it is a very fast course with plenty of spectators on the sidelines, except it does get quiet after 16 or so miles, when you would probably need it the most.

As for how well organised it was, I thought organisation was excellent but anyone using the bag drop would have thought it was terrible - I'd expect they'll sort that one out, though.

Despite that, if I were after a fast spring marathon, I'd do Manchester again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

2017 will see my third attempt at a marathon PB in Rotterdam so I think I can at this stage give it the small write up it deserves!

Travel:

Plane to Schipol and a very short train to Rotterdam City. It really cannot be any easier. Just watch you get the right ticket for the right train. Some have chanced the fast train with a cheap ticket. As last year proved, some got away with it (me included - I genuinely made a mistake) and some got caught and hit with a small fine :p. Just something to watch.

Accommodation:

Fairly affordable, even on marathon weekend. I like the Coolsingel area but no matter where you stay in the city you will be close enough to the start/finish.

Race:

The corrals can be a bit of a mess and largely ignored by many. Turn up early! I may direct you at this point to my 2014 race report :o. The streets are usually very busy. In 2014 they resembled St Patrick's Day on O'Connell Street. Nothing bad if there 30 minute before the gun (not that I was that early last year!)

The opening mile is usually a slow one. Expect it to be very congested and busy. Don't worry, there are 25 miles to make up the few seconds lost. Make sure to line up in the right area. When you think you have, move up another 5 rows. As mentioned, the corrals are messy and in 2014 I lost 2 minutes over the first few kilometres. Partly my fault but again, expect a slowish opening mile. I am a big fan of a slow first mile in the marathon so use it to your advantage. The roads quickly open up after the first descent over the bridge. Be sensible. Don't go chasing lost time if you find yourself very slightly behind. Relax and run smart.

The course is brilliant. It's very fast, with only two small climbs over the bridge. It's a negative split course; the 31-37km section (approx.) in the park is the fastest road I have ever seen. Target this section.

I really like the cups. They are very easy to drink from and from experience work very well. The stations are plentiful so drink small amounts but very regularly. Try the sports drink the day before to make sure it agrees with you. I find it quite nice but worth doing a test drink the day before. You will leave the race loving the water sponge they hand out. Bliss!

The on course support is simply immense. The city really embraces marathon weekend. Even better than DCM in my opinion.

Weather:

Prepare for all eventualities. I say to this anyone running any marathon, no matter what time of the year. Rotterdam is no different. There is no point worrying about a warm day. Prepare for it: wear an extra layer during runs. Take in the necessary salts, electrolytes and hydrate correctly. The marathon is all about preparation. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! There's buckets of time until the gun goes :).

Post-marathon: Paddy Murphy's Pub (mine is anything with alcohol!)
    The day after: Get out ASAP! :D Rotterdam is quite a nice city; safe, friendly and hospitable. With that said, it's not one for tourists looking to sight see! Get a train and go somewhere nice. That's my plan anyway.

Any questions fire away.

Advertisement